The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. FailedLurker

FailedLurker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't really have my thoughts together for a review, other than to say AWESOME!!!1!1, but last night I got this review from my mother, after she had seen the movie for the third time.

She's a 43-year Trekkie, watched all the series and movies except for Nemesis, used to make dates bring her home early so she could watch Star Trek at 10pm Friday. She says this one is the best of the Trek movies, the first time a Trek movie has actually felt like TOS to her. By the time they started making TOS movies they weren't really TOS anymore, in fact a major subplot was about how these weren't the young heroes of TOS anymore. She says that this, finally, is the kind of TOS movie she's wanted to see since 1969.

I don't have that kind of longevity (only been a fan since the early 80s) but if you want the opinion of an original 1960s Trekkie, there it is.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

true, but notice that he only did it once JTK got on his nerves.

3. indranee

great!! I feel the same way (although, TWOK will always be my very one Number One). say hello to your mom for us and tell her to come on board! ;)

love your handle/name, btw. :techman:

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

He wasn't in command before then, and he didn't do it until he had an excuse after the captain's orders allowed him to stay on board.

5. indranee

yes, but even then he waited until Kirk was really pissing him off. "out of the chair" was the first indication where he stood. and then he really began to lose his cool.

I love some of these interesting differences between TOS Spock and nuSpock. TOS Spock always gave me the idea that "the chair" was not what he aspired toward. here, it seems that Spock doesn't mind being in command. or it could just be that Kirk (sitting in it with that attitude) irks him.

very interesting.

6. Bob The Skutter

I think it was just that Kirk was sat in it, when he wasn't in command, and really shouldn't even be on the ship.
    Like I said he waited until he gave him an excuse to disregard the captain's orders.

7. indranee

okay, you get the last word. :p

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw it today. I thought it was a great film.

9. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a ride man. I may have to see it a few more times. It felt like a rollercoaster in a good way -- I genuinely wanted to know what happened next and how they were going to get out of this one.

I'd describe the style as somewhat a cross between Bourne Identity and Ocean's 11. But it was all Trekkie goodness.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh did anyone else recognize the TOS transporter sound when they were using the transporter in the movie?

11. I've seen it twice now and I can't wait for the third time. SO MUCH FUN! laughed, cried (not really, but i was crying on the inside), cringed, damn near wanted to cheer at times.

I'm trying to remember last time I had this good a feeling about a movie. Probably either The Dark Knight or Slumdog Millionaire.

12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Question...why did Nero leave Spock on a world with a Starfleet base on it?

13. indranee

because he is a little bit nuts?

14. Bob The Skutter

Wasn't the whole point that he wanted them (both Spocks) to live and suffer with knowledge they didn't save their own world, or Romulus (in old Spock's case).

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Because he didn't know it was there? It looks like it was only staffed by Scotty and the little alien, it wouldn't have had much Federation traffic.

16. indranee

well, this whole "Delta Vega" bit is a mess. so I am not going to get into it. :p

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a bit of a mess. I guess he just completely underestimated his enemies. When you have a ship that powerful, you would. The few plot points I have trouble with don't bother me though.

18. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

I know this thread is huge and I probably can't add anything that hasn't been said, but I finally saw this movie today and I'm excited. It was awesome!

I generally have a more purist attitude and can be very nitpicky, and I'm sure that as I process this movie in my mind and see it again it will come down a few notches for me. But I was very impressed with what I saw. I left the theater thinking that this was the best movie I have seen for a long time, and I want to go see it again this weekend.

Since it takes place in an alternative timeline, I can't nitpick canon changes. This does not replace TOS, nothing ever could anyway since that was such a good show. I'm glad they didn't try to change TOS, I think they did well at resurrecting it while making it something new.

The strongest part of the movie for me was the characterizations. They were completely believeable in the context of the story, "modern" and altered for a new timeline, yet their personalities were still true to what we love and remember from TOS. These actors had a difficult job remaking characters that have been known for 40 years, but they all succeeded.

So my first impression was just, WOW! I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I hope they make more movies along this line.

19. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

Just a stray thought, but this alternative universe bit is just a way for fans to reconcile, in their heads, the destruction of continuity and much of what they loved about the old series and spin offs. Perhaps people should simply face the facts and not go into this alternative universe stuff.

20. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread is massive. But the best part of the story is NO RESET BUTTON!!!! Praise Abrams. When the movie ended. I was like WTF... where's the reset? OmG!! The killed all the Vulcans.. Holy shit!! can't believe that happened.