Star Trek season 1 on blu-ray: April 28

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Hober Mallow, Feb 19, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

ST:TNG Bluray?

Hober,
    There is a discussion on that topic already starting here 42 posts long on the TNG subforum.
    Please check it out.

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I've read and heard from folks that the bluray PATTON is an utter abomination, with grain-smoothing that obliterated detail on sets big enough to discern facial specifics. Are you old enough to remember seeing it theatrically in dimension 150?

3. Vic G

Vic G Ensign Red Shirt

Quick question; I understand that the Blu-Ray version with have both the re-mastered and the original effects; will the "normal" Remastered boxsets be the same?

4. jefferiestubes8

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm wondering if, when watching the versions without the new effects, we also have the original opening theme music over the credits. Although the re-recorded music sounds pretty good, it's slightly different to my ears and just doesn't sound right. Also, they added too much reverb to Shatner's opening monologue, and that bugs me the most.

Doug

6. Doug Otte

If you're referring to the remastered DVD sets, then the answer is no. They've already been released, and only include the new effects shots.

Doug

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I would assume so, since the original mono audio is there.
    No, I'm not. All I can say it check it out for yourself. It looks amazing to me. Out of the handful of classic film blu-rays I've rented and seen, only 2001 looked better to me.

Here's part of the review at blu-ray.com which sums up my own feelings about it:
    I definitely recommend renting this. I would say this movie more than anything else sold me on blu-ray.

8. Doug Otte

Sorry; I wasn't clear in my question. I meant: will the new lossless audio (7.1), when watching the original versions, have the original theme music and voiceover? None of the reviews that I've seen specify.

I guess we'll find out in a few days...
    :cool:
    Doug

9. jefferiestubes8

10. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVE CBMOUNT!

I'm still not paying to see Abramstrek, though. You'd need to send me back in time so I could fuck Nichols before I'd consider that.

I do notice that the old effects scenes seem a bit clearer. I wonder if they tried to clean them up in the same way they did for the live action? If so, that would allow for an excellent foundation for fan-edits and for modeling reference, since very-clear copies of the effects shots are spread throughout the series.

Needless to say, this is a great year for Trek. Maybe the assumed-success of the new film made them think twice about going the extra mile with this package?

11. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Amazon has this for 50% off ($64.99) right now.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I must say I'm looking more forward to the blu-ray release than I am to the new movie, although I will go see the movie.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's really cool that they have included the original effects, that really surprises me and makes me more interested actually.

14. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This will be the definitive release. An easy to use case, single sided discs, both versions of the picture and sound... Finally.

15. WHF

WHF Captain Captain

For Canadians Futureshop has the set for $67.99 Can (about $56 US) right now. It shows as $79.99 but you get 15% off. I don't know if I should get it or wait until all three seasons are out and pick them up as set.

16. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I swore I'd never double dip on these, I've been very happy with the ones I got way back when they came in those hideous orange and green packages. However this looks really good, blu-ray both versions including the remastered which I never really saw, about a hundred bucks which isn't too terrible, I'll probably pick it up.

17. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Picked mine up from Best Buy this evening, $65 + tax. Quality is fantastic! Running via my PS3 on a 46" 1080p 120hz, the detail is just amazing. It's like watching it again for the first time. The 7.1 track is a little quiet, it could be because I only have a 2.0 setup... I have this problem with some movies, but cranking up the volume takes care of it. :techman:

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek TOS season 1 on blu-ray 1st review

I'm not trying to hijack anything, but I feel obligated to point out (for those who can't or won't read the original thread) that this was an APRIL FOOLS JOKE from treknews.de. TNG has not been announced in Blu-Ray at all. Linky

19. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad someone else said something about this. It seems EXTREMELY quiet. I had to turn up my surround receiver a full 15 points higher than I do any other blu-ray I own. I've noticed that in general, I have to turn up DVDs higher than blu-ray to get the same level of volume out of them - but this is the first time I've had to turn up a blu-ray so far.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sound level seemed fine to me.

I definitely like the packaging. It's the first Trek DVD set (not counting movies) where I've ever kept the original packaging. The others I all threw away and put in those sleeves you get. I bloody well hate it when DVDs come in such elaborate packaging that you have to take out a box, remove a sleeve, take out another stupid box, etc. etc. :brickwall: