Violations

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jimbotron, Apr 17, 2014.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I get it from the episode that Jev was using real memories against Troi, Riker and Crusher for their mindrapes.

Sooooo.... does that mean at one point that Riker forced his way on Troi? She drops the chips, he pushes her to the floor, she resists, but he persists.

I'm not quite sure how much of that was meant to be an actual memory and where Jev took over.

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no way we're supposed to think Riker is a rapist. But even so, the whole "mind rape" concept adds nothing to my enjoyment of TNG. :ack:.

This subject reminds me of what I hate the most about NEMESIS: the blatant copying and the failure to be realistic and have characters who can recall that this same thing happened before.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It seems more he was "manipulating" real memories. It's possible Troi and Riker got a bit wrangly or flirty after a poker game, without being intimate, but Jev then intruded in the memory to take a more active role in it to try and to rape Troi.

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's what I thought too. But with Crusher and Riker, those memories were played out pretty much as we were led to believe they happened, but Jev tweaked the ending to freak out the victim.

What a dick that one crewman was "you killed her!". The door had to go down, them's the breaks! Blame the transporter chief for not getting a lock.

It looked like at the very least, Riker did bring Troi down to the floor.

5. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was pretty much my take on it.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This is interesting as it would seem Riker's "memory" was a fabrication as it seem to occur during a crisis on the ship. Usually that blast door doesn't come down unless something really terrible is about to happen.

7. PhoenixClass

PhoenixClass Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You mean the whole thing was a fabrication or the ending?

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My impression was that Riker and Troi had consensual sex on the ground after a poker game, but in the memory, Troi was unable to change the result of the memory after Riker was replaced.

My feeling about this episode is that it was in kind of an uncomfortable middle ground where they try to address R rated topics in a PG-13 rated way. So you get all the discomfort of thinking about the topic but not the artistic payoff of really addressing it.

9. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Same here. On side note, I completely forgot about this episode's mind rape incident when I watched Nemesis. In fact, it wasn't until I saw this episode on BBC America the other week that I realized that Nemesis wasn't the first time Deanna had gone through this.

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Plus as for Riker's memory. There's no way it was the first time someone got behind on his watch.