The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    [Lumbergh] Greaaaaaaaaat.... [/Lumbergh]

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I expected nothing less from Hasbro. They didn't even bother to create a new body for the Lady Jaye action figure for the upcoming G.I. Joe: Retaliation movie--they merely reused and repainted the body for the Scarlett figure from a previous line and added a new head to it. But I think they've been doing with most of their non-Star Wars female figures for awhile now (reusing and repainting the same bodies).

3. cooleddie74

I'll give them credit for using mostly new bodies and molds in their Star Wars Vintage Collection to ensure that the line retained a premium look and feel (sure, the Clone Troopers were recycles with new paint apps and details but that only makes sense from both a practical and in-universe standpoint), but when it comes to their other SW figure lines they love, love, love, love to squeeze every possible penny out of a mold even if it means reviving a figure from ten or twelve years ago, adding a helmet or new accessory and hoping people think it looks new.

The upcoming Black Series and Saga Legends lines contain mostly brand-new sculpts and the reused bodies seem to be limited to Imperial and Clone soldiers, but in a down economy and with increasing Chinese labor costs it won't take them long to go back to recycling old parts to cut more corners.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So it occurs to me that Matty finally gives a Damian Wayne Robin action figure at NYTF just in time for DC to kill him off in the comics. Of course I still want to buy him, but any kid that might pick up the figure and want to read more about the character will be out of luck. :lol:

5. cooleddie74

Gentle Giant's Premier Guild members will have a shot at three unique Star Wars pieces as well as a great-looking Iron Man War Machine.

That Holographic Darth Vader looks outstanding and gorgeous and I also dig the 12" Jumbo version of the unpainted Rocket Firing Boba Fett prototype. Gentle Giant really knows how to tug at the heartstrings of those among us who collected and loved the 1978-85 Kenner action figures when we were kids.

6. OdoWanKenobi

I kinda feel like the market is getting saturated with nostalgia pieces. It's getting to the point where it's starting to hold collecting back. Now companies think "oh, we don't have to put any kind of effort in to product. We can just rerelease old toys, or slap some clothes and a crummy head sculpt on an almost forty year old Mego body and people will buy it because they're nostalgic, even if its for a license that didn't exist back then."

7. cooleddie74

Take this, brother....may it serve you well.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WORamP7xqHg[/yt]

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't bought a figure in years, but yes, I own a pre-school toy of Catwoman.

[​IMG]

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Those are awesome...but the Sarah Conner looks like Nichole Kidman to me

10. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clint and Tasha are stuck inside because of Snowquester. :(

[​IMG]

11. cooleddie74

Tasha: "What are you thinking about?"

Clint: "Arrows. Shooting bad guys. Tight jumpsuits. The perfect cheeseburger.

You know. Same old, same old."

12. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's thinking he wants to get outside and shoot snowball-tipped arrows. :p

13. OdoWanKenobi

You can almost see the longing on his face. This caged bird wants to be free!

Got a good score today. Before the shift from DC Universe Classics to DC Unlimited, there were supposed to be a couple of Toys R Us Exclusive two-packs. For the most part, they never materialized, due to the line going in to limbo and stores having over ordered the previous Shazam! two pack. They could be gotten overseas from Chinese sources, but most collectors had given them up for lost at retail. Then today, I find one of them at my TRU:

[​IMG]

That's Sinestro Corps Hal Jordan and Blue Lantern Kyle Rayner from the War of the Green Lanterns storyline in which the four main Lanterns were forced to abandon their green rings and each take one from the other colored Corps. These are both straight up repaints, but for a Lantern fan like me, that's not a big deal. I'm thrilled that I actually managed to find them. Barely anybody has at all.

14. cooleddie74

Nice! I'm stopping by my TRU sometime tomorrow (now that the snow here has fizzled) because they just unloaded a couple of case assortments' worth of Vintage and Clone Wars on the pegs and there might be some cool and recent army builders hanging there for the current $4.99 markdown price. They'll probably be picked through by the time I get there but that's cool....I'm not looking for nor expecting anything grand, just something newer and cooler than all the Episode I pegwarmers that have been hanging there for most of the past year.

At this point I wouldn't mind another 501st Legion Clone or animated Captain Rex just for the heck of it.

15. OdoWanKenobi

One of my Wal-Marts did just restock their Vintage figures the other day.....with more Episode I figures. I about screamed right in the toy aisle.

16. cooleddie74

Canada and Europe are getting new stuff a lot of collectors actually want....we're getting more figures most of us didn't want a year ago.

Something's wrong with that math.

17. OdoWanKenobi

Ok, there's a surprise. I thought Black Widow was going to be next from Hot Toys, but I just got a shipping notice from Sideshow for the Hot Toys Thor! Looks like I'll have him some time next week. Cool stuff!

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's weird we're getting stuff and you guys aren't..."I sense a disturbance in the Force" ;)

19. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Seriously....I STILL have not been notified yet :(

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

So I'm curious what figures do people actually collect? Are you like Eddie and focus almost exclusively on Star Wars...or like Odowan and seem to collect everything?

For instance...

I collect DC Universe figures (mostly Superman, Batman and Green Lantern Related)

I now collect Marvel.

I'm now hooked on Hot Toys (SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP! MY BANK ACCOUNT CANNOT HANDLE ALL THE AWESOMENESS!)...Right now I'm fighting the urge to buy a light cycle and the Iron Man stuff is unbelievable!

I have a large collection of DST Star Trek toys (mostly ships and Trek Tek)...

So spill...what are you wasting your hard earned money on :rofl: