Indiana Jones: The Quest for Death...aka Harrison says kill Indy!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I also made several compelling arguments as to why The Mummy is the best archeology-flavored adventure movie since Raiders, and roughly 80% of the thread's respondents found it better than at least one Indy flick. You're welcome to debate those arguments anytime. ;)

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I liked the first two Mummy movies; I haven't seen the third. I wish they had cast a different actor in the lead role, but the movies themselves were enjoyable. Not quite Indy, though.

3. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Is that supposed to be the new 'jumped the shark'? :cool:

4. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed the elderly Indy segments in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and I have no idea why Lucas suddenly decided to edit them out of the series. I rather like the idea that Indy survived a lifetime of dangerous adventures and managed to live to a ripe old age. Beating the odds and dying of old age after a long death-defying life is the way I want Indy to go out.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk's death didn't bother me that much, but Data's idiotic death was stupid. And pointless.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Crystal Skull was nowhere near as bad as Temple of Doom, but also nowhere near as good as Last Crusade (my personal favorite) or Raiders.

I will see Crystal Skull tonight for the third time (after seeing it in the theater and later buying the DVD). I'm capping a four night Indy marathon. Last night was my most favorite. Two nights ago reminded me of just how bad Temple of Doom was, but reminded me that I did, at least like the soundtrack. I might have to get the CD one of these days. It's the only Indy soundtrack I don't have.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What, since when is Temple of Doom bad? Maybe not as good as Raiders and Crusade, but I'll be damned, it's a great movie.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Well, Short Round and Kate Capshaw are pretty unbearable, for one. My biggest problem is that it's just so macabre and bizarre in many spots. Last Crusade is basically a straight remake of Raiders with the addition of Connery, but at least it's fun. (For that matter, so is Crystal Skull; my biggest problem is that Ray Winstone had nothing to do except switch alliances in every other scene.)

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Time to ease up on that deodorant intake, hombre. ;)

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe on their own, but I've always thought the cameraderie between the three characters was a lot of fun to watch. They just have a TON of great banter and dialogue in that movie (where the 4th movie has almost none of that), and their reactions fit the crazy, funhouse ride of the movie really well, I think.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It isn't. It's awesome.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's because TOD was the first Indy movie I saw and, until KOTCS, the only one I saw in the cinema, but I've never gotten the hatred for it. It's action-packed, fast moving, scary and funny. I much prefer it to the hugely over-rated TLC, which is played for laughs, re-hashes Raiders, has inferior action scenes and makes too little use of the classic Indy theme music.

13. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

ToD is usually hacked for being too dark and gruesome as compared to 1 and 3. I personally hack it for the needlessly disgusting dinner scene, the way-too-many-bugs-in-the-cave scene, and the ridiculous mine car chase.

I agree that willy is too whiny and annoying, but, IMHO, she's so insanely gorgeous to look at that I let it pass.

14. Captaindemotion

^See, what I don't get is the way Empire Strikes Back is (rightly) acclaimed for being darker and more grown up than its predecessor; TOD gets slated for the same reason. Return of the Jedi is slated for being too similar to the first movie in that trilogy and for being too comedic- Last Crusade gets a by-ball on those counts. Go figure!

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

ESB was dark, ToD was gruesome. The 'rummaging in the chest for the heart' bit was what put me off. KotCS was OK, but expectations were always going to be way too high, same with SW Ep 1

I can't see it continuing. 'Mutt Jones and the Forest of Time'? 'Mutt Jones and the Last Temple'? Doesn't work. And I don't much like Sleepy la Boofhead anyway.

16. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Shia LaPoof?

17. Captaindemotion

ESB has Luke getting his hand chopped off, Vader force choking an officer to death, the faux-Vader getting his head chopped off in Dagobah, Luke's co-pilot getting killed, then stomped on by an AT-AT, Han frozen in carbonite and 3PO getting blown up!

Don't get me wrong, ESB is a much better movie than TOD, but I think it's easily as gruesome or scary for a young viewer (which I was in the early 1980s).

18. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Since 1984.

Actually, it's not bad, it's just not particularly good. If it wasn't an "Indiana Jones" film (with John Williams' excellent score), no one would have paid much attention to it.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I never said Temple of Doom was "bad", just that overall I thought Crystal Skull was better. While I think it's almost certainly the weakest of the four films (debatable, I know), I wouldn't call it a bad film in it's own right.

I suppose my main problems with it are the lack of any strong villain--just some bloke in a funny hat who does very little other than strut around, chant and look evil. Having the cliché damsel in distress and smart mouthed kid as sidekicks didn't help matters either. In all the other Indy films the female lead was always able to stand toe to with Indy and take care of herself...admittedly in two of those films it's the same woman, but the point remains.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Temple of Doom was an early example of an inappropriate descent into the dark and gritty fad; sort of a precursor of what was to come over the next quarter century. It pretty much skirts the edge of violating the concept's artistic integrity. But it's still a fun movie, and is acceptable as one episode out of several (sort of like Final Frontier).

But that stupid life raft scene drives me crazy. :scream: