The Battlestar Galacticafication of Stargate has began!

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Dusty Ayres, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know I find it interesting so far. People bitched about Stargate getting limp lately and they did something different. I think it might do better if it wasn't branded as "Stargate" because it isn't really trying to be affable which the franchise is known for.

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I personally prefer it to what became of Stargate in the last few years but it's not quite living up to what it could be. Partly due to the writing still feeling slightly stale like they're not sure of the format themselves, so aren't actually going head first in to it, while at the same time being heavy handed with the "look it's different".

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Seconded, and worded!! That was testifying to the max.:cool::techman:

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I think the main reason for people like you and I disagreeing on SGU (and nuBSG, for that matter) is exactly what you've said here: everything you liked about SG-1 and SGA as they were was everything I wished they'd dispense with. The camp, the child friendly scrubbed clean characters, the bwha-ha-ha villains.

5. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let me see, a friggin scifi show, where they actually meet alien things and stop on alien planets every few episodes
    CHECK

No Ayatollahs, No elections, No abortions, No 911 are we worthy of survival crap
    CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

A decent fx budet instead of watching that raptor landing footage replayed over and over again
    CHECK

SGU People having sex and relationships without any weird implication
    CHECK
    in boringstar galactica
    the Doc screws a sexbot and sells out the defense codes of humanity to a bunch of genocidal robots just to screw a hot blonde
    Kara stardrunk Thrace sleeps with her half brother aka JarJar Adama. Then she screws baltar, and she screws Blanders who turns out to be a cylon and she screws just about anybody else in the fleet.

No Rocky-in-Space episodes
    CHECK

No time jumps, no one year later, no 6 month jumps on New Caprica, no flashbacks and flash forwards with matlock in space
    CHECK

SGU has a likable cast, well written
    instead of a bunch of depressing humorless, back stabbing, manic depressive battlestar b*astards
    CHECK

A military with backbone instead of a bunch of moaning girly men
    CHECK

No political BS or soap opera nonsense shoved down your throat every
    No lynching
    No lesbo dictator massacring unarmed civilians
    No Rapes
    No crackheads, No alcoholics
    No Guantanamo, no political crap smashed into your face every 30 mins
    CHECK

SGU a good looking cast, a young looking cast, marketed at both young and old audiences
    CHECK
    Battlestar had mostly a cast of ugly people, not Obese, not Skiny, not Fat..just Plain Ugly.
    You have one or two good looking people on BSG but the rest were as ugly as a bull terrier after a few rounds of illegal dog fighting
    Take EJO for example, they would film these close ups of his face that would remind everyone of the Apollo-11 landings also BSG post season 1 was primarily aimed middle aged women

SGU good ratings
    BSG ratings sucked
    [​IMG]

Indeed
    They have some similarities but IMO they are two totally differnet shows

6. cultcross

I think I've deciphered your hi-larious code-names, but since when is Adama Kara's 'half brother'? He would have been her brother-in-law if she'd married Zack, but she didn't. They're no relation at all.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he means "half-brother" in the sense that Bill Adama always thougt of Starbuck as a daughter, therefore Lee Adama could be a half-brother in that respect.

And I got to say, TheMasterOfOrion, for someone who doesn't like BSG, your knowledge of it, its storylines, and how things developed is impressive.

8. TheMasterOfOrion

Everyone called him JarJar Adama

and as for Starbuck, she had all kinds of names to describe her
    Stardrunk
    Kara starslut Thrace
    Starb*tch
    Culkin (I guess she looked like the guy from HomeAlone)
    and last but not least
    "Starfrak"
    ;)
    Watched 3 seasons with dedication, the first season was ok but as a whole it was the greatest waste of time I ever did...even worse than wasting your life on video games

I would rather have read 2 dozen of those trashy political thriller novels you buy in the supermarket

Anyhow getting back to the topic, no I think SGU is not BSG

while it does have similarities to Voyager or Nu BSG or Firefly it is also a very different show

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I just don't have that dedication. If I don't like something I just don't watch any of it. That way I get to see things that I do like and my time is never wasted.

10. cultcross

A quick search of the board finds exactly one person who ever used that name, and you seem to be logged into his account.

11. TheMasterOfOrion

I've seen JarJar used across the net, maybe not here but that's because a lot of people were just brown nosers who thought Eick and Ron Moore walked on water or performed miracles. This is a trek site, RDM did a nice chunk of quality work for Trek so he has something of a following here. If you criticsed the series in the battlestar BBS section you got flamed by a bunch trolls here on the trekbbs.

Season 1 of the new Battlestar is worth watching, well written, it had good pace and its not all political, depressing or spiritualist crap. A good chunk of Season 2 is also worth watching, at this stage despite the ratings starting to decline it works. It might work less well but its one of the better shows out there and S2 still works. However the show goes to veer of the tracks by mid season two, love triangles are thrown in for no other reason than soap opera, the show stretches out and wanders where as before it worked much better as a tightly knit run of 12? episodes. Also by the end of season 2 were are introduced to RDM's flash back, time jump and flash forward crap and political BS. An anti-Galactica movement starts to kick off around season 2, these are not the old school fans who watched Dallas, old people who watched the A-team or the original run. These are the new young fans bashing the RDM show disgusted with where it went. I hoped it would turn around during 3 but nothing, so I stopped watching it permenantly
    Many pro BSG sites became bashing sites. Here are examples of the anti-Galactica movement:

In short many, many people thought it "Jumped the Shark"

If I were to compare Stargate Universe to anything I would compare it to Voyager or Firefly but I don't think it has that BSG feel. A rogue Voyager, with tech, with lesser aliens, with humor but a Voyager with no federation values.

12. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    TheMasterOfOrion, your Check analysis of SGU vs. BSG was pretty hilarious.

13. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

:guffaw:

14. dcbpe

dcbpe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

@cultcross
    Ultimately the ratings will bear out which of our opinions is more popular. I think SGU will suffer because people are expecting it to be SG:1 or SG:A, and they are not getting what is expected. The campy nature is what the franchise was built on, and it is unlikely that the franchise can be successful without it.

@Dusty Ayers
    Thanks!

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The movie that started the franchise wasn't campy. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that.

16. cultcross

^ Nor was early SG-1, imho. The first 5 or 6 seasons of SG-1 were clever, interesting, self-aware, with a witty and adult sense of humour. The mythology was engaging and felt somehow epic - even when it was just some text on the walls of a small room. Late SG-1 and particualrly SGA was unoriginal, repetitive (oh, another quiet black warrior character), scared to take risks, and frankly, pretty boring. The mythology never developed and never seemed epic again - the Ancients who had seemed so incredible in Torment of Tantalus or The Fifth Race seemed like petulant children by the end of SGA.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think the problem with later SG1 was that they became afraid of finishing off story arcs in case they actually got a movie where they could tell those stories. So they became stagnant.

Then with Atlantis came the burn out, writing and producing 40 episodes a year was just too much for them to keep up with.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

their ratings have been pretty good so far.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/11/universe-ratings-give-syfy-a-boost/

19. dcbpe

dcbpe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I resemble that remark; good point.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair though, the franchise isn't popular because of the movie. It's popular because of SG-1.