TOS-era Defiant-class Ships

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by PPatters, Sep 3, 2012.

1. PPatters

PPatters Boimler sun, Garak moon, Jadzia rising Fleet Captain

Hi there, great artists :) Sometimes, I like to play around on DeviantArt and the like and find new (to me), awesome Star Trek-inspired artwork. I recently found a TOS-era Defiant-class ship (http://evilgenius180.wordpress.com) and was trying to see if any of you all have done anything that is inspired by the Defiant-class that is more TOS-era. (Not necessarily as direct a comparison as this, but anything.) I did some searching and couldn't necessarily find anything, so I thought I'd ask and see :)

2. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Are you talking about the TOS-ified Defiant-class warships on pages 5 and 6 on the "older posts" on this blog?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

I did this one:
    [​IMG]

4. PPatters

PPatters Boimler sun, Garak moon, Jadzia rising Fleet Captain

Precisely :)

And, Ian Keldon -- great stuff!

5. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Did anyone ever put a plan view of Sisko's Defiant next to a plan view of a Constitution-class starship, both in the same scale? (I realize there has been some debate as to what the physical size of the Defiant was.)

6. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^No, but it should be about half length against either (294m [TOS] or 305m[refit] vs 150m Defiant)

7. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

That looks OK but it's a very literal backdate design. The shapes and proportions are TOO similar. All that was done was smoothing out the hull and swapping the bridge dome and nacelle front/rear ends.

Ian's looks more logical, like something Starfleet cobbled together to test the concept. It got used on the sidelines and in special circumstances. Eventually, it evolved into the DS9 Defiant as ship design and technology changed over the decades.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I prefer the version that inspired the one on those pages, the 2D one done by Rutger Warrink many years ago (top of this page).

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^That's still too obviously just a repainted Defiant. The shapes don't blend with the technology of the period. Maseo's Paris Class is still the best "TOS Defiant" in my opinion.

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

^^^
    Agreed.

--Alex

11. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I often thought about seeing those same two in scale.
    If we go by the oft-used deck height comparison,
    FJ Constitution class has the top five decks ABOVE the primary hull. If we go to six decks, then we're down to the upper half of the saucer rim.

Depending on your sources, the Defiant may be five or six decks high. If we go by deck heights, the Defiant is seemingly only as high as the Const. bridge down to the top of the primary hull (minus the bulky Defiant nacelles).

Yet every ship chart I've seen shows Defiant as a much greater size in relation to a Constitution class. Unless the deck height thing isn't comparable.

12. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Look about halfway down this page under “blueprints"
    [COLOR=#800080]http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/model.html[/COLOR] and you'll find the probable inspiration for the defiant? Just take away the nosecone, "neck" and "wings" of the Leif Ericson and you've basically got the defiant design. At any rate, this is probably a good place to start on a TOS era defiant.

13. sojourner

14. TIN_MAN

I disagree. In regards to the Leif Ericson, I didn't say anyone "had it in mind", I only suggested certain features of the concept art by Jefferies -most notably the engines- bear more than a passing resemblance to those on the Defiant. This suggests that those responsible for these features on the Defiant as we know it, were familiar with Jefferies concept art and/or the model kit, and were, at least subliminally, influenced by either one or both. If so, it would not be the first, or last, time those in the Star Trek art dept. took inspiration from among Jefferies earlier concept art.

15. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

\

Isn't that the basis for the Sagittarius-class as seen in Vanguard?

16. sojourner

The link I provided does not agree.

17. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The link you provided doesn't seem to say anything. I'm wondering if the site is down?

That said, I do remember looking through the Valiant/Defiant's development process, and from the comments that I remember reading, no mention of any of Jefferies designs were made, and the impression given was that a variety of different shapes and forms were tries before coming to the one we are oh so familiar with.

18. sojourner

^The link seems to be working right now. Regardless, basically what you said. It was a process with a pretty clear lineage.

19. TIN_MAN

Nothing in that article precludes the possibility that elements of the final Defiant design were not inspired either consciously or subconsciously from the Leif Ericson or its concept art, or a dozen other sources for that matter.

Whenever source credit is given in such instances, it’s just a professional courtesy anyway, there’s no law that says an artist has to divulge each and every source of inspiration when interviewed for a brief article.

Maybe it’s a coincidence, maybe not? But until I get something more specific, I’ll remain convinced there’s a connection.

20. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^
    ^ Yeah, it seems it was either down or too busy late this morning, but it is working fine now (good thing, given that articles like these are something I consider very important).

Perhaps the only way to settle this once and for all would be for someone to ask the designer, Jim Martin.