Sci-Fi Channel Special Edition Extras...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by potablog, Sep 21, 2009.

1. potablog

potablog Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey all!

Wanted to drop a post here about a project I'm doing at my blog- http://www.apieceoftheaction66.blogspot.com/

I absolutely loved all the interviews and extras on the Sci-Fi Channel Star Trek Special Editions that aired about 10 or so years ago. I taped each epsiode (though I did start a few a little late sometimes). I've dug up all the old tapes, and I'm going through and taking out all the extras and posting them to my blog for anyone who may have missed them. There's some really great stuff in there, including interviews with many actors that you don't often see (plus many of whom are now deceased). The first is up now, "Where No Man Has Gone Before"-

http://apieceoftheaction66.blogspot.com/2009/09/star-trek-sci-fi-channel-special.html

Check it out if you get a chance! Thanks!

Potablog

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    And the first thing I found on your blog was a video from WNMHGB with interview footage of Paul Carr.

God, you're awesome.

3. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Head over to www.preserv.co.cc and get advice there about how to do a full DVD release that people can download.

4. potablog

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

I've thought about making the dvd, but I don't want to wind up in hot water...

potablog

5. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was neat to see that again!

If I remember correctly, Sci-Fi also did segments with Nimoy specifically for the second run-through of the series, but they may have never aired all of them. (And I thought they wanted to do a third set with DeForrest Kelly, but sadly his failing health didn't allow for that.)

Am I right about that?

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I recall hearing at a convention that Shatner would do segments for the first-run, and Nimoy for the second, but I didn't have cable back in those days, so I couldn't be sure on either count.

7. potablog

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great stuff. Here in Britain, we never got to see SCI-FI's Special Edition run.

However here are some introductions that maybe you've never seen before. Clearly done on zero budget, aside from the cost of a green screen, three actors plane fare over from the US and their personal appearance fees...

These episode discussions appeared on our video casette releases back in 1996:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAjuT75nM-g

Thanks again for letting me see that Sci-Fi material. It's practically mythical.

9. potablog

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

These are fantastic! Thank you for doing this!

Neil

11. potablog

Glad you're liking them! I'm happy to be able to share them with you guys!

potablog

12. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

I have wanted to see these introductions since they first aired. I missed almost all of them. I assumed they would be repeated and skipped recording them the first airing - big mistake. I think I have one episode of the special airings on a tape somewhere. Thanks so much for providing these videos.

13. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

Is 1.10 the last VHS with an introduction? That's the last one I see.

14. ChristopherPike

It continued through the range (2.1 - 2.7, 3.1 - 3.6).

I hope to get around to those, on a regular basis... monthly GB allowance permitting. :)

15. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Leonard filmed his host segments first, and after he was done suddenly Shatner agreed to do host segments, which he apparently hadn't agreed to when first approached.

Naturally, SciFi decided to run the version with Shatner as host for every episode first, not showing Leonard's run until the second go-round.

The story is Leonard was ticked. I don't blame him, being supplanted by a Jimmy-come-lately.

It gets better, tho'. :rolleyes:

By that time SciFi had made such a mess of the presentation, viewership was dropping and they ended the Special Edition in the middle of Leonard's run.

Maybe a third, maybe half of Leonard's host segments never got seen. One week, he was still hosting the uncut episodes in a 90 min. format. The follwing week, the next episode in line was run without a host, in "cut for time" format, in a hour-long time slot.

If Leonard had been ticked before, I'm sure he was SO happy to hear half his work was going to waste.

SciFi never ran the Special Edition again.

:(

16. potablog

17. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a good 1/2 (at least) of the Shatner special editions on VHS.

If I had the technology, I'd share with you guys.

18. potablog

No worries dude...I have the Shat ones covered....

potablog

19. ChristopherPike

Great stuff. Does Nimoy go over the same material? Or were his presentations different? Are you planning to run through the episodes in production order, with Mudd's Women & The Enemy Within next? Or maybe pick out the most popular ones? Either way, keep up the good work! Everyone (including me) really appreciate what you're doing. :techman:

20. potablog