Generations Concept Uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CelticViking, May 31, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We saw a ton of different uniforms in use at once in the big budget Treks - TMP, STXI and ID. Generations was just doing the same kind of thing, IMO.

2. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I recall, the design change was made to reinforce the difference between the tone of the different series; ie that DS9 was a "down and dirty" environment whereas TNG was clean and orderly. We saw examples of this ideology during DS9 when personnel would switch to TNG uniforms when visiting places such as SFHQ.

IMO it makes perfect sense then that the crew of the Enterprise would have had these uniforms as an option. To my mind, we simply never saw them in use until Generations because there wasn't the budget for it during TNG.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "too many changes" excuse used by Berman et al always came across as being patently ridiculous to me. If anything the unused GEN uniforms are less of a contrast to the TV Next Gen uniforms than are the DS9 ones. I'll call BS on that one. I think Rick was just trying to save face after having blown part of the budget on uniform designs that he didn't end up liking very much.

I used to have quite the fascination with the unused GEN uniforms, I thought they looked okay on the action figures... but as time has passed I've gotten a bit meh about them. They seem a bit overwrought to me. The added features like the turnover flap and the rank braids take away from the simple elegance of the TV versions, and they certainly aren't as realistic and functional as the DS9/VOY/First Contact etc variants. Interesting in a "what might have been?" way, but I'm glad they didn't end up using them in that movie.

Am I misremembering, or did one of them turn up in modified form being worn by Janeway's dad in an episode of Voyager? :confused:

4. CelticViking

CelticViking Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow!

Outstanding!

5. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the concept Generations uniforms would have been better as the TNG uniform, minus the cuff rank stripes. Clearly some more thought was required on how the wraparound should be 'engineered' however.

Regarding the AGT uniforms: I'd have gone with something akin to the Generations concept, again minus rank braids, and with a slightly darker shade of the TNG dept colors. I'd also have replaced the black shoulder area with a (darker still) dept-colored suede material to make the shoulders 'pop'.

All that is assuming we hadn't had the FC black/grey uniforms introduced (which I prefer). For that matter, I'd also have pushed the medical dept color a littlemore towards green than blue, to differentiate them from the other sciences. YMMV of course...

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No, Admiral Janeway's uniform was specially made to represent a halfway point between the red TOS movie uniforms and the TNG uniforms.

7. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Ditto. If Berman really cared about not changing things too much he wouldn't have destroyed the Enterprise.