Before Watchmen: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers ahoy)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Before Watchmen must surely be one of the most controversial comics ever published, even before the first issue reached shops. Not because of anything in the story it tells, but entirely because of its very existence.

The prequels to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen begins today with Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1 by Darwyn Cooke:
    Anyone picking this up?

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I picked up a copy today but haven't read it yet. As I said in the DC thread, I flipped though it and noticed that the art was pretty basic, but upon closer observation, figured that it was done as an homage to the old style comic art.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Darwyn Cooke, right? That's been his style for ages - he's part of the reason the DC animated style looks the way it does.

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope it's in my box at the shop.. The ST:TNG/DW crossover didn't make it there last week, so I'm gonna have to make sure I keep track when the issues are released..

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Darwyn Cooke book. I thought it provided some nice back story for many of the heroes. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved Minutemen #1. Darwyn Cooke is perfect for this book. Next week, we have Cooke and Amanda Conner's Before Watchmen Silk Spectre #1.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a huge purist or diehard Watchmen fan, but without Moore's voice behind it I just don't really see the point in doing more with these characters.

Is there anything more to really be said with them?

8. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I agree with you completely. Which is why I have absolutely no interest in Nite-Owl, Silk Spectre, Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan and the Comedian. But of all of the minis, the Minutemen were the least utilized in the original story and for the most part were window dressing. But even that being said, I wouldn't have gotten this if it weren't for Cooke.

I still don't really like the idea of this, but Cooke is enough to make me look past that.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So they're going to have a mini-series for each character then? Interesting.

Btw, I picked up the first issue, am going to tear into it later on.

Edit: Don't answer my question. I remembered I'm on the interwebs and looked it up and got my answer :p

That is hella cool, cause when I looked at the cover and saw "1 of 6" I thought that seemed pretty low.

10. Captain Qwert Jr

Captain Qwert Jr Captain Captain

Well, I read it.

The Good:
    -Reading a comic by someone who is actually good at his craft is quite pleasant.
    -I like the take on Mothman.

The Bad:
    -Despite a few nods towards Moore's dark kitsch, It's standard fare. Which makes it the antithesis of his vision.
    -The Comedian was too blatantly evil. Not sure Cooke gets the joke.

The Ugly:
    -Niteowl: "Once I get rid of this useless gun and nightstick, and waste a few minutes taking off this uniform that signals my legitimacy, I'll give those crooks what for!"

Overall: I think I would recommend it to people, who are not fans of the Watchmen.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So who's going for the whole shebang and collecting every single issue? I know I'm going to, it will give me something to do every week :)

If that is how often they'll be releasing them. It doesn't matter, I'm in my comic book store every Wednesday to see if they have anything good anyways :)

12. Admiral_Young

I'm getting everything except the Ozymandias mini.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Oh man, he's my favorite character (comics and film). I think his mini is the one I'm most interested in.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'm trade-waiting. I'm not really anxious to fork over $140 to get them all, especially since the original is only $13. The only one that I know I'll be getting for sure is Minutemen. The rest will depend on the word of mouth.

15. Admiral_Young

I think I'm most excited about Minutemen and JMS's books.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Thought Cooke did a good with Minutemen in capturing who Hollis is. Never been too pleased with JMS's work, so his books are wait and see.

17. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish I had your will power. I'll at least get the first issues of many of them. I want to try them all out.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

How would a trade work of all of these? I know Minutemen is obviously taking place earlier, but are the other mini's all taking place concurrently?

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Either each mini will be collected separately, or several miniseries will be collected together into a single volume (much like the Flashpoint trades).

I'd bet that DC will eventually do two Absolute editions to match the Watchmen Absolute.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to reading my copy of Minutemen. It took me a minute to get into it, but this really does feel like the start of something special. As for the issue itself, eh, it was all set up. I suppose they're writing these things for people who are new to the universe as well, but it was basically stuff that the hardcore fans already know.