Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Took a couple tries, but eventually got through it. I'm sure it was a server load issue, but does Cryptic not know how many players it has, and that this is a big draw? Along those lines, there IS a login queue, why let in more people than the servers can support?!?

As for the actual FE? Meh. It was alright, but nothing special. Thought it was way short, and not a whole lot really happened. Almost all of it was just watching the cutsceens and voiceovers that we can't skip. Looks like most of the time/budget went to that instead of developing stuff to do. As a setup for the next week's episode, maybe it'll be better, but by itself? Not great.

Also, they have to get Bajor ground up and running anyway by next week, would have been nice if DS9 was locked out once you finished this mission, until the next one. Make Bajor the temporary social replacement, and move the vendors there. They had to flee too, right? A 'war camp' like in Defera would have been nice, story wise. Instead, you flee DS9, and then go right back in like nothing happened...

2. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Cryptic realizes that if they wanted to pull off something like Scout101's idea, all they'd really need is a set of client-side scripting that toggles DS9 and "war camp" access depending on mission completion. Hell, just make the war camp an "area" of DS9's map.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will say this, while I got through it without any bugs from the mission, that one ground bug where you press your firing button, it clicks over, and nothing happens is still happening. Same with the devices buttons. It sucks when you're running low on health, click the hypo, and then die 5 seconds later, only for the hypo to finally kick in after you're dead (which puts it on the cooldown).

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I heard something interesting on the forums apparently we're getting a Jem' Hadar ground set like the STF ones from this FE series.

Also is the Admiral uniform we get at VA suppost to be a Dress Uniform?

5. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Its a lot more complicated than that. For example, there are foundry missions based on an unconquered DS9. Doing this would have broken all of those missions as the "normal" DS9 would not be accessible to players that have completed the FE.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the mission despite all the teething issues. Highlights:
    - Amy Pond!
    - Dipping and bopping around the docking pylons

6. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Jem'Hadar polaron rifle you get as a reward from the first mission is the first part of this set. Hover your mouse cursor over it to see the other pieces listed.

7. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    And there is where I stop reading. Enjoy your day.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Preferable to you strawmanning my arguments, or just repeating the company line, I suppose. Just admitting you aren't reading the post at all has gotta be an improvement over you ignoring the majority of the post in order to nitpick a minor point instead. Skipped the substance of several points in order to nitpick the average join date of the posts in the thread...

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Personally, I think it is better that the servers are not able to handle to number of players than to have a FE that works without a hitch. It shows that there is a larger than anticipated influx of new players who all want to play the latest mission. Yes, the swamped servers may hinder some players enjoyment (and I do agree Cryptic needs better handling of such situations and better error messages), but overall I think it is a good thing for the long term prospect of STO.

Besides, most MMO official forums are filled with angry fanboys who are constantly shouting to get heard. The more popular a game is, the louder and angrier these voices get. Its a universal constant. Which is why I have always favored community operated, player moderated forums (such as The Safehouse and Druid's Grove for EQ) who work hard to keep the level of noise down and make sure all discussion are rational and constructive.

10. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So your problem is that FE's would actually be interesting because they impact what you can do as they are unfolding.

Oh and as for the first FE, TOTAL RIPOFF OF CALL TO ARMS. Also, are they unable to script camera cuts instead of pans?

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny thing is I got the rifle without even knowing any of this I just thought that would work better with the Boff we're likely getting so when I move on to the Borg front missions the Collective can get a face full of Overpowered Jem' Hadar Shock troop.

12. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing Zilla. I got several Ketracel White drops, which do me absolutely no good unless we end up getting a Jem'Hadar boff.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could bite nails in two! I just went to turn in my 5 encrypted borg data chip to get some STF Retro shields, and what happens? I accidentally click on Mk X requisition instead, so now I could only choose from Mk X purple crap I can buy on the exchange for cheap! GRRRRRRRRR! I HATE this requisition setup! Just let me choose from actual borg technology with a borg chip! Jebus!

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

The Second Wave is bugged. If you made it through without a hitch, you should consider buying a lottery ticket because you're lucky.

Doc Lee had to logout and back in to get through it. There are a few minor bugs and two major. The sticky keys during ground combat I consider a major flaw. Doc Lee either couldn't use most of his abilities or they were delayed (as someone said until after death). The second major bug is that when your char warps to Bajor, it resets your mission progress to the start of the Borg Conference discussions.

Link to the official Second Wave bugs thread on the STO forum.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=254082

However, Doc Lee made VA in between the failed attempt and redoing the mission. He got his butt kicked in the Nebula Refit so he decided to try out the Odyssey Star Cruiser.

Pros - Gained Engr console slot,gained slot for Cmdr Engr (lost Cmdr Sci slot) extra weapon slots fore and aft, gained device slot
    Cons - Lost a Sci console slot, lost slot for Cmdr Sci ( went to Engr), could not transfer Detection console (but didn't need in this situation)

This is not the Odyssey that Doc Lee test drove, Cryptic did a bait and switch. :-/

The loss of the VA ship token is a kick in the teeth. I guess Cryptic thought that the majority of players affected would be eligible for the 600 Veteran's Award. I'm still a couple of months away, so Doc Lee will have to wait for his Intrepid Refit. For now he'll make do with the Odyssey Star Cruiser. At least it plowed through the Dominion ships like a bull in a china shop.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  15. Rocketeer

Many times in STO, you have to highlight then click the item again before clicking the buy button. Yes, it's annoying as hell.

16. Rocketeer

:techman:

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

As far as not getting credit for the FE, here's the tip I've learned through 2 years of buggy programming: Once you think you've completed the mission, DON'T LEAVE THE SYSTEM! OPS will try and get you to warp out, but don't do it. if the mission box in the right now says 'report to starfleet' or whatever, go into your missions, find the green checkbox, and turn it in. THEN you can leave the system with your credit. In theory, if there was any customer support, that would be a good place to call in a GM and show them you were finsihed and not getting credit, but we know that takes days, not instant help as advertised.

I used to not get credit on occasion, opened tickets, and eventually they agreed I had completed them, but that they didn't have the power to award me the mission completion anyway, so maybe I should try dropping the mission and starting over. Thanks for the help, guys!

Reason I didn't try this at first on the FE is that I thought there might be more when you get dropped in Bajor. Not sure why the mission completes in the DS9 system and it still makes you go to Bajor, though. Functionality-wise, doesn't make sense, as the mission is complete before that. Eithe warp out to sector space, or give me something to do in Bajor. Along those lines, IN-Universe, why would Bajor be a safe rally point? Shouldn't they get out of the solar system? 2800 enemy ships in the system, and their big rally point is about 5 minutes away at low impulse?

18. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Milestone achievement: Veteran MACO ground set costume unlocked. It comes with a shield heal/resist and a near instant weapons remodulator build in.
    No more 5 second drop out of battle and no weapon swaps! Yay!

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Mk XI, I assume? Still, very nice. I've gotten 1 recruit level drop on the ground (shield), and one space Elite drop (also shield), and that's about it. Assuming i'll never beat Cure Ground enough for the Mk XII set unless they tweak the boss, so been saving the chips towards the Mk XI ground set, and I'll take my chances on the space elite gear...

20. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's what I've been doing. Saving up the data chips for the Mk XI MACO ground gear, and hoping for MK XII drops in the elite space missions. I still have a long way to go, with only 25 data chips so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.