X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But it's not exactly unheard of studios to move a release date which could impact on a film. Both brining forward a release and pushing it back can impact positively or negatively for different reasons.

Many would consider X-Men and X2 dispite all the issues mentioned here better than X-Men: The Last Stand with it's bigger budget perhaps longer shooting schedule. Yes a longer shooting schedule might have improved those films, but is the bigger differece not so much schedule/budget etc.. but having people like Singer/Vaughen as directors who seem to understand the work more important?

2. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, yes. However, it is one thing to cut a schedule in half by six months especially when a production is in full swing and you have a director that hasn't done a big-budget movie before. 20th Century Fox originally told him the release date was Christmas 2000 and then pushed it up to Summer 2000. Which would have been fine if the production wasn't already on an accelerated schedule. That's just an example of the kind of restrictions Singer had to work with on the previous movies.

X-Men: The Last Stand didn't have a longer shooting schedule. It filmed for about the same time as the previous movies. The pre-production period was definitely accelerated, though, to make a summer 2006 release date.

Scheduling/budget is a big factor to consider when making any kind of film. Matthew Vaughn was originally suppose to direct X-Men: The Last Stand but departed the project because he felt like he couldn't make the movie he wanted to make in the time allotted. I'm sure there was creative differences at hand as well, but scheduling was a big part of it.

That was a part of Singer's frustration with 20th Century Fox because he felt they never gave him enough time/budget to do what he wanted. Even though many people consider the first couple X-Men films to be very good, there are plenty of people who criticize them for being lacking in vision & scope. Then you see the latest trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past - in which Singer finally had the kind of budget & schedule he always wanted - and you can see the kind of scope & scale that's mightily impressive and arguably greater than any previous X-Men film to date.

Bryan Singer & Matthew Vaughn are obviously more talented than Brett Ratner, but that's not to say that scheduling, budget, resources and time aren't factors for making a good movie. I've seen it all the time. There are countless factors and variables that go into making a movie which is why a great director can make a terrible movie and a terrible director can make a good movie. It all depends on a lot of different things. Great filmmaking is, above all, a synchronized effort where in order for something to work out everything must work in unison. It's like a well-oiled machine - if one thing doesn't work, then it creates a domino effect that affects everything else.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

New TV spot. Of course, most of the footage is from one of the two trailers, but there's one or two shots that may be new (including a wild last-ditch stunt by Mystique).
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7HC0qc5FQ[/yt]

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Little bits of new footage of how the Time Travel works, Kitty's importance, and why Wolverine is actually the best man for the job.

sure, it might be Kitty that actually time travels in the story, but the movies are smart to make it Logan. Overused or not, he is the most well-known of all the characters, one of the main protagonists, and he was originally the one with the "outside perspective." Since much of the failure or success of the mission (I gather) will be the meeting of the two minds of Xavier and Lensherr, Wolvie's won perspective will be important.

Plus, as the clip suggests, hsi ability to heal will allow him to make the journey through time, so yes, Logan is the right choice all the way around!

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Never noticed it before, but Ellen Page sounds like she's constantly on the verge of crying.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sure, when you invent the time travel rules to make it better for Wolverine to use it, it'll be better for Wolverine to use it.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

You're right,

but Kitty hasn't been all that of an important character in these films. Sure I liked her in the Last Stand.. but she's not teh character that people are paying to see. Wolverine makes sense, and they rewrote the story that way.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Plus, Kitty would be too young during the first class years.

10. Alidar Jarok

^ If they write the time travel rules to accommodate Wolverine, you don't think they could do the same for Kitty Pryde? This argument is seriously nonsensical.

Sure, and I think it makes sense. That being said, I think he's too important of a character for what should be ensemble movies (he's got his own films to be the star, he didn't need this one). The catalyst connecting the two time periods didn't have to be the focus of the movie, just the bridge between them.

Plus, Wolverine's death in the comic is one of the more iconic images. It's a shame to lose that.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

When I found out they were adapting 'Days of Future Past' I was really excited that Ellen Page would get to headline an X-Men film. I know she definitely could have carried the film as well, and to suggest she couldn't is a bit unfair to her I think.

I've gotten over my disappointment though, Wolverine is the break out character of the films, the rest of them be damned.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

There was never any chance of this being a Kitty Pryde/Ellen Page headline film. For many more reasons than the popularity of Wolverine. This film began as a sequel to The First Class. The intention was always to focus primarily on its cast and take place in the 1970s. That stayed as it evolved to using the Days of Future past comic as a inspiration, never a direct adaptation. Using the concept of a future X-Man traveling into their younger body gave few options.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Could have cast Scott Bakula as the time traveler.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Ellen Page was born in 1987 and the movie takes place in the 80's. Wolverine is basically the same age in the future as he is in the 80's. How is it nonsensical?

^What Dick said.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

here's a link to some new posters. I really hate the "sparks" I don't know why poster designers incorporate them.

Overall, I like them alright enough, but where is Struzan when you need him?

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

We don't know that it is lost in the film. For all we know, Wolverine's body could be disintegrated a split-second after his consciousness goes back in time.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The 70s. The Apocalypse film will take place in the 80s.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Anyway, unless they send Kitty herself back in time (instead of her memories), she'll have nothing to be sent to.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

20. Alidar Jarok

And the problem with that is?