Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I have nothing against flamethrowers or explosions, though horror is not my thing, but I thought you said it was branching out from that and trying to do an exploration thing. So are they exploring with semi-automatic weapons and flamethrowers or what? Just curious. Sounds exploitational to cover a weak story. Concept is King. Now I am repeating myself. It's easy to forget too.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What, explorers aren't allowed to arm themselves when going into a potentially dangerous situation. And just because it might have some people shooting guns and using flamethrowers doesn't mean it can't be an intelligent movie. There are plenty of action movies out there that have people shooting guns in them, but still have an in depth intelligent story at the same time. One doesn't necessarily cancel out the other. And guns and flamethrowers don't make something horror.
    He didn't write ST'09, he was a producer. And he is co-writer on the next Star Trek movie, along with Roberto Orci, and Alex Kurtzman, the guys who did write the first one.

3. xortex

Dead aliens are easier to explore, but I just wish, like he said, the alien concept would be isolated a little bit more and put in perspective. Instead it just seems like the opposite. We're going out to space to be worse than the aliens and still be seen in a good light by the gods and Prometheus. Style over substance.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't understand how you are getting all of this from a trailer that doesn't even feature a single full sentence of dialogue in it. Like I said, this was just the first teaser, it wasn't meant to do anything more than introduce the movie to people, it doesn't tell us a single thing about the story, or how what we saw even relates to....well.....anything. And how exactly did you get the thing about us being worse than the aliens, we don't know know who does what in the movie, we don't even know who the aggressors are.
    And you still haven't explained what your issues are with JJAbrams.

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I agree. Perspective is good. Very good. I highly recommend it.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lindelof. Bulletin. WTF are you talking about?

7. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

And I suspect whatever happened to him is designed to turn him into a Space Jockey so he can pilot the ship. This probably be a vague reference to the title of the film. This same thing that converts him most likely causes the crew to go wonky and kill each other or whatever. This may not be the same planet or the same ship, but this incident will be enough to wet the Company's appetite for this technology and lead them to divert ships to ANY location where they get signs of it... And THAT is where Alien ties in.

8. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The entire plot of the movie was recently leaked online. The movie has some INSANE ties to the Alien series.

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess it's possible that was a fake but personally I loved that story. I hope it turns out to be true.

11. Silent_Bob

Silent_Bob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its almost certainly fake because of its ties to the Alien series. If its the same synopsis as i read, then yeah its a great idea for a story. But its probably not the one we are going to see next year in Prometheus.

Personally i find the people behind nuTrek to be piss poor writers and a lousy director, all of whom favour flash over any substance what so ever. But that doesn't make them scam artists.

They were paid to write a script and produce a movie. They did so. It may not be to my tastes or yours but they did the job they were hired to do. To be scam artists they would have had to have been hired to make the film, then disappeared with the money never to be seen again.

Also you seem to have some bizarre ideas about the people you do like. All television and cinema revolves around money. Its called Show Business for a reason.

12. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I might be confusing usernames, but I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who thinks he invented Firefly in the form of a Deep Space 9 script and Joss Whedon stole it from Ira Behr.

13. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't seem like Lindelof's work. It didn't contain nearly enough of the usual bullshit that JJ's cabal members consider plot elements.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Holy crap. Just read it, and I can't believe anyone would seriously believe that was real. It's convoluted beyond belief, the scifi is way too high-concept (Wormholes? Star Beasts? Seriously?), and it doesn't feel remotely connected to the gritty, atmospheric, down to earth world that Ridley Scott created in Alien.

It reads more like a bad scifi novel or something. There might be a couple things that it guessed right, but the general style and tone just feels COMPLETELY off.

15. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read one supposed summary, and I kind of wish I didn't. I've been trying to obsessively follow this whilst also remain as spoiler free as possible. So now I kind of read one that might have given away a few things I wish I hadn't if they are true. Trying to forget!

Is it June yet?!

16. xortex

No, it was 'Serenity' from a DS9 script of mine. Though I just noticed it's also the friggin' plot/premise of Blake's Seven - go figure.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I made my mom and sister watch this trailer while home for Christmas this weekend. My mom thought it was great and recognized the derelict ship from "Alien." My sister thought it looked interesting and scary, and then I found out she had never seen any of the "Alien" movies at all! I found that wholly unacceptable, so I made her watch the first two films with me. She didn't like the first one (which I understand; it hasn't aged particularly well), but she thought the second one was great.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Alien hasn't aged well? I just watched the blu-ray version for the first time last night, and thought it looked spectacular. Everything from the incredibly detailed ship to the eerily believable alien planet could have held up perfectly on screen today. If it wasn't for a couple, obviously painted matte shots, you'd never think it was made in 1979. Hell, even the actors don't really look like they're from the 70s (at least not as bad as the actors in Star Wars or ST:TMP do).

Obviously it's a bit arty and deliberately paced, but no more than, say, The Sixth Sense was.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Visually, it has aged just fine. But the storytelling is slooooooooooooooow. It feels like it takes a half hour in the beginning just to wake the crew up! It's an okay movie, and I realize there is a certain mood and tone that Ridley Scott is trying to accomplish, but I just don't think it works that well anymore.

20. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Hasn't aged well? Alien is a classic film and a work of art. It doesn't age. It just is.
    Now, The Seven Ups, THAT has aged. (a bit) :)