First details of nuKhan prequel comic

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by 8of5, Jul 11, 2013.

1. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IDW have officially announced the Khan, prequel comic, which will be six issues and start in October. Mike Johnson on the series:
    We're traveling back in time to show Khan's rise to power and give fans their first look at the legendary Eugenics Wars. As the series unfolds we will see the events that led to Khan leaving Earth aboard the Botany Bay, and then jump forward to witness his awakening in the future by Admiral Marcus.​
    And the cover:

[​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to seeing a bit more of the story of Khan and Marcus, and hopefully some more on the origins of the USS Vengeance. Less fussed about seeing another version of the Eugenics Wars, but can see it being appealing to nuTrek focused fans that might not have come across the novels. Plus it should be fun to see the Eugenics Wars.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I loved the Eugenics Wars book. Has ever been depicted in comics before?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoever wrote "gives the fans their first look at the legendary Eugenics Wars" needs a good slap.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Looking at that shot of him running on the cover has started the Six Million Dollar Man theme playing in my head. "Better, stronger, faster" indeed...

Cue the inevitable questions about whether the comics are canon and overwrite the novels' version of the Eugenics Wars (answer: no). Still, I've enjoyed it in the past when different tie-ins have given different versions of certain events (e.g. the rise of the Mirror Universe, the start and end of Kirk's 5-year mission, etc.), and it could be interesting to see an alternative take on the EW.

5. Villordsutch

Villordsutch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This could be pretty cool. I wonder how different their Eugenics Wars will be from the novels?

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess they're going to depict the Eugenics Wars as "open" warfare and clearly fictional as opposed to the novels making it somewhat clandestine and tying actual events into part of the war in some way.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That would be my preferred approach. We've already seen the hidden-history take, now let's see the alternate-history take.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much of the Eugenics Wars have you seen?

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two very excellent books worth of it by the talented Greg Cox!

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. We read them. We haven't "seen" them.

12. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I don't know about you, but when I read a good book, I "see" the story in my mind.

13. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Will the same guy who did the cover illustrate the story?

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

THIS exactly. :bolian:

15. Therin of Andor

Exactly, but now you'll see what's in the mind of an IDW illustrator.

16. Therin of Andor

If you check out previous IDW comics, you'll see which titles have tended to use the internal artist as the cover artist. It's quite often different. Quite a few issues have had multiple covers, too.
    http://www.startrekcomics.info/

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I loved Greg's books. I mean really, really loved. But I would be interested in seeing something else. Also while clandestine approach was perfectly suited for novels it would very hard to be effective in comics. Particularity a short miniseries. While the visuals of open warfare can look great in comic books.

18. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I suppose the big question is who will the Khan of the Eugenics War look like - Benedict or Ricardo? I suspect it will be the former based on the cover image.

19. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's a tie in to STID & as you say we've seen the cover for #1 - I don't think there's a question at all; Benedict.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This comic is being release 3 months too LATE! Should have been out a month before the release of the STID movie! :borg: