Regarding Recent Star Trek Video Game....

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Harbinger, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was curious, was it ever mentioned if there was a version of this game released that wasn't as buggy or glitchy as the others? Was there a "least buggy" version? By version I mean Xbox 360, PS3 or PC.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Generally speaking the pc version will, if not at first, eventually be the least buggy. Patches and fixes can be added later, if not by the staff then by fans.

3. Harbinger

Was wondering if the bugs were mainly a problem with the 360 and/or PC versions. Seems like I'm hearing the PS3 version is not as problematic.

4. James

James Guest

Did any people buy the game? I read it was so bad that nobody bought it. I certainly didn't.

5. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

I will repeat what I said in the movies forum:

I picked this game up in the Steam Summer Sale when it was €7.50. I thought it was worth the price. Angry Joe's review is hilarious though.

6. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

I actually really enjoyed the game.

I think IF you enjoyed the reboots you will probably have fun with this.

Some notes-

When your guy is in cover you need to HOLD DOWN the b button to get your guy to move to the yellow indicator. If you tap it he will just roll out of cover. And this is important because the way they scurry between cover is very characterful. I think it is wonderfully Kirky.

Make sure you do all the optional commendation objectives. The game is substantially more fun if you sneak around a bit than if you just run through guns blazing. And don't be afraid to restart a checkpoint if you fail a side objective. Also note that if you hack a drone so it is on your side, if another enemy then sees the drone it will fail the stealth objective. So if you hack a drone and then climb in to a ceiling duct the drone doesn't follow you in the duct but tries to join you in the when you come out, which will almost certainly provoke an attack and fail the stealth bit.

I dunno. I think it is a cool game. If you are not offended by the very concept of Elite Force, this is a much better game than that.

It has some great recreations of bits of the new Enterprise like the shuttlebay and bridge. I like the reimagined Gorn - I think they are much cooler than the guy in the rubber suit. The game is a bit more like a traditional Trek episode than the new movies, so it kind of gave me an idea of what an Abramstrek series might be like.

All in all, IF you liked the new movies and want to go on a bit of an adventure with the new crew you will probably find this quite fun, especially for what you will pay for it now.

7. Harbinger

So then you have the Xbox 360 version, I take it? If so, ran into any glitches?

8. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

Nothing that stopped it from working.

It certainly isn't the most polished game in the world. Kirk and spock can stand in the same place, which looks odd by is easily avoided by not standing in the same place. The jump isn't the slickest piece of animation in the world, but if you aren't jumping you are not seeing it. Stuff like that. I found it to be more a little rough than actually broken.

Oh and in single player the enemy seeing your co-op partner doesn't count and they won't attack unless they see you, which again looks a bit odd but hey Penny Arcade did a joke about the same thing in The Last of Us and it is probably less annoying than keeping failing because the AI didn't stealth properly.

9. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its existence is worth it just for some of these awesome bugs. :rofl:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2X8PHAI6Y[/yt]

10. ErikB

ErikB Ensign Red Shirt

If you are not trying to break it and instead are trying to enjoy a fun game it probably won't break. Make of that what you will.

11. Harbinger

Eh, I think the glitches are random even when nobody is trying to "break" the game. I still can't find anywhere in particular that mentions which version is better except it seems less people mentioning them with the PS3 version. That could just be because less people have it on PS3 but I dunno.

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking around the net its almost getting down to the £10 mark on sale, just a little longer then i will get a copy for that price, for £10 i am all for giving it a go, bugs and all.

13. Majestic

Majestic Ensign Newbie

Trek games have a reputation of being bad, but I found this game wasn't too bad, it's got a lot less bugs than STO and some of the older games out there.

If you play it for the story and a little bit of fun you'll be fine, if you're playing it only because it's a game and putting it up against the big titles you'll be disappointed.

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well xbox had this on sale last week for £7:50 and 65p for the pre-order stuff, so i gave them my money and prepared to boldy go where i have went before, but not for a few years.

So is it worth even £8, no, it's not even worth £8 in my opinion, it's simply a very very very mediocre poorly implimented FPS that i doubt anybody would have touched had it not had a franchise named stamped onto it, and apart from the voice work and a small tiny portion of the Enterprise you have seen on the screen, it really has nothing else to do with Star Trek, the gorn are more like the raptors from jurassic park, with guns, than gorn from the Trek universe, the controls are simply terrible and clunky, if you play this on single player be ready for the AI to just stop working and bring your level to a grinding halt.

Now a special mention has to go to the graphics in this game, they are just terrible, i mean truly terrible, i have no idea why they are so bad, and this is a strange game graphics wise, the in-game graphice look about 10 years old, they would not look out of place in a PS2 FPS, yet some of the cut movies look like they could have came from industrial light and magic, it's very strange to say the least, and anybody with a 3DTV don't bother running this game in 3D, as we all know to get 3D these games half the resolution, so you can imagine just how bad this game looks in 3D with the already poor graphics dropping down even more.

I mean what is it with Star Trek games, why can't somebody make a decent one, we know they can, we had a entire deecade and a bit of great Star trek games from the early 90's till the early 2000's, so what happened, i mean this game makes Star Trek legacy look impressive, how did they manage to do that. lol

What a total waste of the voice acting in this game. :(

So to sum up, another one for the "Towed away AS garbage" award.

Oh well, fingers crossed for next one.

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In answer to Harbinger's question about if any one version is actually better than the others straight "out of the box"..... well, I can only vouch for the PS3 version, but within moments of playing I had encountered a bug where Spock had got me trapped in a corner in the Enterprise corridor and I had to restart the game because the daft bugger wouldn't move out of my way. It just got worse from there. :guffaw:

I agree with what GoRe Star said that ultimately the PC version will be the best because all the bugs will be patched one way or another (officially or otherwise), but I don't think any of them reach their potential. Which is a shame, because on paper I really really wanted this to be great.

ErikB above also sums up my view on the game. It's enjoyable enough on its own, it certainly has got its moments. But it isn't as spectacular as it could have (should have?) been. I think it's a game that would have merely been 'average' ten years ago in the late PS2 era when some of the bugs seen in the video above were actually still pretty common in a lot of games of the time. But in the cold light of 2013, in an era where games like the Arkham series, Fable, Uncharted, and GTA 5 have redefined what the benchmark is for this kind of thing..... the Star Trek game just falls flat on its face. :(

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Paramount is too cheap to hire a development studio that's got a proven track record of competence. Back in the day, games were less sophisticated and cheaper to make, so it was easy to pump out a decent game. But now the things are so expensive that I doubt we'll get another Trek game worth playing anytime soon. Hell, I wrote a whole article based around the idea that Paramount is better off remastering old games in HD instead of making a new one after botching the latest game.

17. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Nice article bullethead. :) :techman: However, I did feel the need to correct this, regarding the game Klingon Academy:

There was also Klingon Honor Guard, a half-way decent FPS from circa 1997 or so, which used a very early version of the Unreal game engine. So that's two major game releases focused on them in the history of Trek gaming. :klingon: ;)

18. Venator

Venator Ensign Newbie

Well so far the latest Star Trek games have been quite the disappointments. Sure they're not horrible, but not worth more than ten dollars in my opinion. I experienced quite a few game breaking glitches and the games were way to short to be worth full retail, luckily, most get a smaller price quite quickly.

They should get better developers I think.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The budget gets blown on acquiring the licence leaving little left for development. It's why most movie tie-in games are shit.