Joseph Fiennes and Eva Green cast in Camelot TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Starz is readying Camelot to debut in the first half of 2011 and they've now cast the major parts: Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green as Morgana, Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur, and Tamsin Egerton as Guinevere.

2. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I cant watch that; it bares little resemblance to the Arthurian Cycles

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Eva Green as Morgana? Sold.

And why does it matter how faithful it is some earlier version? It's all just folklore anyway, and there have dozens of variations already.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Uncle Rogi I don't get that comment and personally I'm excited about this. I haven't been able to get behind "Merlin" and hopefully this "Camelot" will be like that abandoned proposed HBO Arthurian series that Hanks and Speilberg were planning on producing. This should be fun. Eva Green as Morgana makes a lot of sense (I thought she could be playing Gwen) not sure who the actress is who IS playing Gwen though. Joseph Finnes as Merlin is interesting. The actor who is playing Arthur, his name seems familiar to me. I wonder who will be playing Lancelot.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is this going to be anything like Starz's other costume drama and we'll get a lot of naked Eva Green? :p

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Joseph Fiennes as Merlin? We're talking the perpetually dull and irritable guy who was Mark Benford on FlashForward? Good grief. Okay, maybe having to do an American accent impeded his work, but it's hard to see him being that much better with his own accent. I would certainly never have pegged him as Merlin.

Tamsin Egerton doesn't have too many credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0989182/ However, she did play "Young Morgaine" in The Mists of Avalon, for what it's worth.

Jamie Campbell Bower was Anthony in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, and Number 11-12 in the AMC remake of The Prisoner. He's also playing Gellert Grindelwald in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. He's pretty young, only 22. I guess that explains Fiennes as Merlin. Like the current Merlin series, they're apparently going for an "Early Years" approach.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll have to be pretty damn good to live up to The Mists of Avalon.

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is this the Camelot series that is going to be a 'modern-take' on the Arthurian legend? Kind of like Kings was to David & Goliath? Although I'm assuming magic plays a part since it seems like Merlin and Morgana are the two biggest named actors and both use magic in the legends.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I think that wires got crossed in some of the talk about it being a "modern take" and that it's going to be a period piece with a style and tone that modern audiences can relate to - like The Tudors - rather than actually being a reimagining of the Arthurian legend taking place in contemporary times, but we'll find out one way or another pretty soon. The current press release announcing the casting simply says it's a "fresh approach". The series will begin production in Ireland later this month.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now THAT would be cool. Anyone else remember Camelot 3000 from the comics?

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep big fan of "Camelot 3000" and intend on one day picking up the recent hardcover.

12. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Not sure anything starring Joe Fiennes can be good. He's a tell-tale sign of period movie mediocrity.

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Are you including Elizabeth in that?

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

One can only hope...

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I remember CAMELOT 3000 fondly, and told Mike Barr so at Shore Leave last year. Talk about a graphic novel that cries out to be filmed!

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, Kings was a great show that got cut short so the "Ancient Stories in Modern Day" stuff can be great if the effort is there.

Joe Fiennes was pretty good as Shakespeare, and I thought he got better in Flashforward as time went on so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

17. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

...and pray.

Hope it's actually good and not tween bullshit like that Merlin thing a little while ago.

Speaking of Merlin, I really liked that Sam Neil miniseries from way back when. That was fun. The more recent sequel/reboot/whatever the hell they did was shit, but the original was sweet.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was all wrong for the role of a tortured, alcoholic but ultimately heroic FBI agent. He didn't do the heroic part well - instead, it came off as whiney and mopey. I can't help but think an American actor would have had the instinct to, above all, ensure that the audience doesn't despise his character, and would have played the role in a far more likable manner.

But Merlin doesn't have to be likable. My hunch is that Fiennes will do much better playing a character who is arch, wise, mysterious and not American.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say I'm very excited about that kid from the Prisoner remake playing King Arthur of all people...

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Merlin you're referring to is actually still running. It's a BBC show and has been renewed for a third season. NBC aired the first season in the US. Syfy is currently airing the second season.