Would you like for Chapel to appear in a new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by borgboy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Nurse Chapel - and yes, even Rand, for that matter. NuTREK needs more leggy blondes in its cast. Keep with Gene Roddenberry's proud tradition of showing plenty of smokin' hotties. And if Nursey doesn't have enough to do, that's fine. I won't mind if she just sits by a Lens Flare, scantily clad and mugging for the camera, whilst she bats her baby blues! Remember ... make her smokin' hot or no deal!

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In this movie I think Chapel should be a man. Brave new worlds.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least that's less transparent than blondes in their undies.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

re, that horse, "It's dead, Jim."

5. teacake

^That's what they said about Spock.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

And still have a crush on Spock
    And an affair with Kirk

Cool

7. teacake

CommishSLeer! A poster after my own heart!

OH I do so want a boy blonde viking crushing on Spock..

8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

But not in a lame way like TOS Chapel.
    He's got to be hot and sassy and taking off his shirt all the time flaunting himself for me (I mean Spock)

9. teacake

And some point he will collapse, shirt ripped, in the field of duty and Spock will scoop him up and carry him to safety.

But not over his shoulder, because that is kind of a dork look.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And yet, if they'd cast someone in the role after Majel's death you can bet that people would be now accusing the writers of tainting Majel's legacy.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'd never have thought that. The whole cast has been recast, so continuing to use the character of Chapel continues Majel's legacy,and this is coming from a huge Majel fan.
    But sure, somebody would think that. It wouldn't surprise me though if some Chapel haters took that position just to justify their not wanting the character in the movies.

12. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

Some future movie will have Dr. Christine Chapel working on some super secret project along with David Chapel, her blond son (who's actually brunette but he dyes his hair. Family tradition).

Yeah, making her a disposable one night stand of Kirk's is a great way of re-imagining the character.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Well, Kirk's father looks exactly like Thor!

14. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shadowcat had two cameos in the X-men movies by two different actresses before the awesome Ellen Page was cast in a main role in the third movie. There is always the inevitability of upsetting someone when you recasdt, and they had that with every character in NuTrek, so I'm not sure what would have been different with Chapel.

In fairness, with the possible exception of Scotty (and that is more of a characterisation issue for me) the casting has been excellent. I'd still rather see Chapel is a third tier role than have her be an afterthought or throw away line.

15. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I get that Chapel isn't going to get a lot of screen time, but I'd think she's important enough to have been there. Obviously tptb thought enough of her to name check her in both movies, so why not actually use her?

16. Pauln6

I think they siad, in the first movie that they didn't want to use characters just for the sake of it. They only viewed the Big 7 as worthwhile because of their familiarity to the movie watchers. Since they could not think of anything more than a cameo for Chapel I suppose they did not want to pay an actress for a 3 movie deal if they were not going to get their money's worth just to please fans.

What's frustrating as a fan is that I can think of quite a few ways they could have used Chapel, Rand, and a few other characters spread across both movies that would have added dimensions to the plot without making any major story changes. I think they could have added more value for money than the drawn out and convoluted CGI monster scenes or a threesome with a couple of hairy hookers but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

17. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto.

We need more female characters than just Uhura. I kinda would liked to have seen a Doctor Chapel (as she ocassionally became) or even Intern Chapel - a ship that big needs more than one Doctor - hey, how about Dr. M'Benga!? And a Young Rand (Perhaps as a Checkov love interest.) And definately an Arex and M'ress - as we saw a believable Arex-like character in Trek '09. (But I like more Cat-like M'Ress, not those *supposed" "Caitains" (twins) we saw in "Into Darkness"

(I'd also like to see he female Admrial or Fleet Capt. "Number One" - given a name now - taking Pike's place as Kirk's overseer.)

And a Kyle, Leslie - too! MAybe a young Decker and Ilyia too!

And these don't need to be full-fleged characters! In fact, better not they are - not mouch space for more. We can squeeze in Marcus, but that's about it.

No, they would be more like Keenser. Just so we have familiar crew in the background, rather than just having unknown random extra-of-the-sceen. (Thour I REALLY want to know more about who/whatever that seemingly cybernetic bridge officer is.

Also - I'd liek to see more background alien crew-members. Maybe even some VERY non-human ones. Like how about have something like a small dinosaur or octopus or even just some...I dunno...be creative! Somethign like looks like a Lovecraftian "Old One"(?). Just have them walk by in a corridor.

Some classic aliens like Tellerite and Andorian - Deltan, etc - crewmembers in the background too!?

How about a Xindi soimething-or-other!

18. Pauln6

Yeah I'd like to see more established characters in cameos and lots more crew from the 'core' Federation races of the TOS era instead of random visually striking ones. And of course, Andorians ARE visually striking.

Decker and Ilia would be about NuChekov's age so some cameos from them would be really cool but Rand was about a year older than Kirk (I believe they showed a screenshot in Flashback which used the actress's real age as a basis) so her birth would have pre-dated Nero's incursion and we already know from Charlie X that she doesn't like teenagers :p

I'm perfectly happy if they use actors for cameos and then re-cast if they decide to use the character more fully later.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A nuNumber One would be an excellent idea. Unfortunately I don't have many ideas on who would play her. Mariska Hargitay, maybe?

As for Decker: He'd surely be older than Chekov, wouldn't he? Remember that TMP takes place only a couple of years after the end of TOS.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Seriously, why should all the female characters be love interests? Can we have female characters who are interesting and not defined by her relationships?