Gilmore Girls - When did it go bad?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, Sep 3, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought the first four seasons of the show on DVD for really really cheap. I have been watching them and about to finish up season 4.

I used to watch the show and gave up by the end. Sure the creators after season 6, but it went to hell before then.

Obviously the first few seasons of Rory in high school were the best. It just worked.

Season 4 was a little weird. Rory had trouble growing up, and so did the show. Rory was a spoiled brat who was treated as a queen, but still what they did to her was still really lame and out of character.

To me the show went to hell either when Rory slept with a married Dean, no matter what she should have known better, or several episodes later when Logan showed up. He was the worst boyfriend possible for anyone on the show. Lead to her dropping Yale and what a mess.

In my mind Luke still doesn't have a daughter, that's when without a shadow of a doubt the show was in the toilet.

What does everyone else with of when the show went down, if at all?

(I don't want to hear "the pilot", keep moving people.) :p

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Luke's Daughter is fantastic... But then I get that actress mixed up with her real life sister and can never recall which is which.

What struck me as the point of no return was Lorelai putting her all in with Christopher... Did they get married? Oh god. They got married.

As an aside, Lizz Torres was on Devious maids last week, and she was tiny. She's been losing weight for a while but I think it's because sick not because she's dieting.

Oh, and a 3 minute goodbye for Bunheads was dropped online a couple day ago.

It was sweet.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When the pilot was picked up for series? ;)

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think the last episode I really enjoyed was the one where Rory finally slept with Dean (was that also when he was married? I can't remember).

I really loved the show for a long time, but when they brought in Logan for me the show lost all interest. I hated the person Rory was becoming, and they even brought Jesse back to try to talk some sense into her, but it didn't work, Jesse left after that and so did I.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This is one of those shows where the whole thing just bleeds together and you lose track of what's what--like just about every other CWB show.

I never saw any episode more than once or (a few) twice, and it's been like five years now, so if someone was to show me an episode I don't know if I could tell what season it was from. The writing probably did suffer over the years, but the dialog manged to always stay fun, from what I remember. But the whole point of watching the show was the outstanding cast and wonderful menagerie of characters. That never really changed.

6. bigdaddy

Yeah he was married, that was the season 4 finale / season 5 starter.

That's what bugged me the most. She slept with a married Dean, didn't see anything wrong with that. If I remember correctly they only broke up once she screwed over Dean and Rory fell for Logan.

But Logan seems to be the problem. He was a dick, treated Rory like a dick. Jesse explains this, her mother explains it, she then drops out of Yale in season 6, and still gets back together with him anyways! It's just so insane.

Whatever happened to Naked Guy? He would have been perfect. Logan would have been fine to get Rory to grow up, but he was around for like two seasons. It was just way, way, way, way to long. I think he was even in the finale episode!

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

How long did Sam Winchester last on this show? :vulcan:

8. bigdaddy

No one named Sam was ever on the show.

Jared Padalecki was on and off of the show for 4.5 seasons. He was a main character in the first couple, recurred in seasons 3 and 4 and was around for about a third of the 5th season.

9. Guy Gardener

In the Supernatural Universe it is strongly suggested that Sam Winchester played Dean in the episode where he had to abort a Universal Tour to avoid incriminating himself and what he did to pay for College.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  10. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Heh. I'd forgotten that bit of business.

As to the OP's question: the answer is, of course, the final scene of season six. I consider that scene as a huge middle finger from the departing showrunner to the higher ups -- not so much a passing of the baton, more of a hurling the baton into the thick, thorny bushes with the parting shot, "You think the show'll be fine without me? Dig it out of this mess yourselves!" So Rebecca Rand Kirshner takes over as showrunner in season seven and wastes no time in proving how essential Amy Shearman-Palladino really was to the series.

I soldiered through the final season like many die-hard fans but -- like Brian Michael Bendis once said that West Wing ended, for him, at the end of the fourth season when Sorkin left -- Gilmore Girls truly ended after the sixth season, for me.

11. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I am a LONG TIME fan of this show.

I don't think it ever went "bad".

However, I will say this...the period when Rory "chose" Emily and went to Europe with her and all that was uncharacteristic of the character of Rory. Lorelai going out with Luke FINALLY (I'm a L/L fan) after ALL THAT TIME...then just to be disregarded because Luke "suddenly has a daughter" was complete idiocy. I did like his daughter's character AND the actress who played her. But would the real Luke truly just give up Lorelai just because of that fact and shut her out? I don't believe so. Yeah, they get together in the end, but that blip in time still peeves me off.

That said, I have all 7 seasons on DVD and they are all wonderful. It's one of my top 10 shows of all time. Love it!

12. Guy Gardener

I'm going to take out the Cheers dvd and stick a Gilmore dvd in my dvd machine.

Logan was pretty good in the movie "I hope they Serve Beer in Hell" and he's been a star on the Good Wife... But for all his underwritten deficiencies, Rory was the waste for skin in that relationship.

13. bigdaddy

That's what pisses me off with the fans. They hate season 7 because the creators were fired and replaced, but the old creators had that horrible season 6 ending. The show was shit before then, and the new guy was just trying to work through the mess.
    Stupid things in seasons 5-6...

Rory sleeps with Dean, then is mad at her mom for saying the truth? Stupid. I thought season 5 would open with Rory realizing how stupid she was, nope.

Logan. And Rory not seeing she is being a brat.

Luke acting increasingly like an ass, even before the daughter.

Then Luke's daughter, great actress, stupid, horrible storyline. I see Luke being overly into his family and such, but Lorelai was like family too.

Logan.

The show should have grown Rory, because she would have grown up. But she messed up so many times it was unreal. Season 5 could have been the "Rory as a screw up" year, sleeping with a married man, going out with the horrible Logan, getting in trouble for stealing a boat. But then she should have snapped out of it. She never snapped out of it. It's called Gilmore Girls yet the two main characters were fighting for most of season 5-6. The one thing I like about the ending of the show was that Rory finally did her own thing and became her own person. Some thing that should have happened in stages a lot sooner.

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Season 6, Amy Sherman-Palladino ruined the show before she left, I didn't miss her, the show wasn't good during season 7 but I blame her for the shitty storylines she started.

15. bigdaddy

Exactly. The downfall of the show started in season 5, continued with Logan and not getting rid of him in season 6. Then Luke changes, Rory is a brat, Luke has a daughter. It was all horrible well before the creators left/forced out the show.

I remember reading people online when the episodes first came out that Rory is a brat because of how she was raised. I could see that to a point, but there was several times in which she should have realized what she became and she didn't! or if she did would forget the next week.

Everyone blames the new people for the "bad" season 7. I didn't see most of it but I know the storyline. To me they did a great job with the mess of a show they were left. My main problems were all because of past season storylines. It's not like they could just do "It's a dream, Chris and Lorelia never slept together".

My main problem with what I saw of season 7 was the bizarre camera work they did. :lol:

And the season 7 finale, while not planned at the series finale, is one of the best fitting series finales I have seen. It fits the show.

I still really wish they would make the movie where Luke and Lorelia get married under than little arcway Luke made for her in season 1-2.