"Castle" season 4 begins tonight

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Neroon, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, looks like Beckett's sidearm is a Glock, but is that semiautomatic?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think so since there is a pic of a Semi-Automatic .22 pistol down near the bottom of that list. Espo is holding it.

3. Christopher

According to Wikipedia, Glock pistols are indeed semi-automatic. Apparently any single-chambered, single-barrelled pistol is semi-automatic, and the gun Beckett had in this episode clearly wasn't a revolver, so there you go.

I Googled for "Glock underwater," and apparently firing one underwater will irreversibly damage the barrel due to the hydraulic pressure, the gun will probably jam quickly if it doesn't blow up in your hand, and the shock wave could damage your ears, eyes, or internal organs. Since Castle and Beckett were in an enclosed space when several shots went off, they should probably have died from organ damage. (There is a version of the Glock 17 that can be modified for underwater use, but Beckett apparently uses a 19 now.)

4. Admiral_Young

Kate also has a backup Glock as pictured in that link. I'm going to have to watch the episode but it does sound like they were just taking creative licence or whatever to get them out of that situation. This happens all the time in order to drive the plot. I'm personally not bothered by these liberties but I guess they can be sometimes fun to discuss and debate about :)

5. Christopher

It's just one more symptom of what a cartoon this show has become. Realism hasn't been a concern of its makers for quite a while.

6. Admiral_Young

I don't know what else to say since I have disagreed with you about this many times...I guess we just have two different views of the show. That doesn't deter my enjoyment or the quality of "Castle" at all for me.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

To be fair most of network TV cares nothing about realism, thats cable's job more than not. Christopher do you enjoy the show anymore, theres nothing wrong with valid criticism of course and I pointed out some issues with the 2 parter myself but you seem to really dislike it these days.

8. Admiral_Young

^ This is kind of the point I was making last week when I said something akin to Christopher not really enjoying the show much any more. I wasn't knocking him personally but just was making an observation based on the majority of his posts in the thread. I have mentioned that I discovered "Castle" in the summer time and quickly caught up and it pretty much has had the same satire vibe all the way through since the start of the show. It's done a couple of goofy shows here and there, but to me that is just part of the tone and vibe Andrew Marlowe and the rest of the writers are attempting. This show isn't meant to be serious all the time. It doesn't take it's self too seriously despite dealing with some heavy subject matter and a overall arc that involves the unsolved murder of one of the lead character's mother. I don't really think it is ever going to change in this matter. Especially if Caskett fans get rewarded and Rick and Kate come together finally. :)

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

10. Christopher

Asked and answered earlier in the thread. I still enjoy the cast enough to keep watching, but the writing is a shadow of what it was in seasons 1-2.

He could've suffered serious hearing damage, though, unless he was wearing earplugs or something. Heck, even people shooting indoors in air tend to wear ear protection when possible. To shoot in a swimming pool without ear protection would just be stupid. If nobody ever did anything stupidly dangerous in a YouTube video, YouTube would be a much smaller site.

11. Christopher

Following up on this from before...

Actually, having just finished Heat Rising, I'm now certain the actual writers are series creator/showrunner Andrew W. Marlowe and Tom Straw, a mystery writer who was mentioned on the cover of the first book and has often been suspected of being the writer. In the acknowledgments (which are supposedly written by Castle but are an opportunity for the real writers to express their thanks), there's a paragraph thanking both Andrew W. Marlowe and "Tom," in such glowing terms that I think it must be the respective writers thanking each other. Also, there's a mention in the acknowledgments of Marlowe's wife (a fellow writer on the show) as someone who's "always beside me." Moreover, just from reading the book, I realized that the Jameson Rook character (the surrogate for Castle) talked exactly like Castle, complete with an almost audible Nathan Fillion influence. It would be difficult for anyone other than the showrunner, the person who does the final polish on all the scripts and shapes the characters' voices (and works routinely with the actors), to capture that voice so exactly. So I was convinced it was Marlowe even before I read the acknowledgments.

But since Marlowe and Straw are both Americans, I can't explain the British word choices. It's odd.

Anyway, in light of what I was saying before about feeling that the show is becoming too broad and fanciful, I find it ironic and a bit incongruous that the Nikki Heat books, which are supposed to be works of potboiler fiction written by Castle, have more verisimilitude and naturalism to them than the show that's supposed to be Castle's real life (in terms of things like police procedure/organization, the portrayal of New York City, and the like). You'd think it'd be the other way around.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe one or both of them spent some time in Britain. Or maybe they just like British slang.

13. Christopher

But a writer portraying characters who are native New Yorkers would not put British slang in their mouths just because he "liked" it, because that would be inauthentic. It's the sort of thing I'd expect from a British writer who doesn't realize that Americans don't use those idioms.

I don't know, maybe some New Yorkers do use those idioms? It's a pretty cosmopolitan town, after all.

14. Admiral_Young

To me Rick using British words and what not in his works would make total sense given his cheeky sense of humour in "real life". Also remember that Rick created the Niki Heat novels IIRC are supposed to be totally different in tone and vibe to his previous Derek Storm series. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were things tossed in there like bizarre British words, Rick could be having fun (imagine that!!!) while writing this. The Derek Storm graphic novel in contrast to the Niki Heat novels was written by Brian Michael Bendis (who is supposed to be a huge Castle fan IIRC) and drawn by Kelly Sue DeConnick (who I believe drew the recent Osborn mini-series). Remember as well Christopher that these and the series aren't meant to be taken series. Your logical deductive approach to "Castle" I think is distorting your enjoyment of the show. I'm not attacking you or anything....just continuing to reply to the points you've made.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless he just doesn't care about being authentic.

16. Admiral_Young

^ Good point.

17. Christopher

Try a little deductive reasoning, in the spirit of detective stories. Remember what I just said about the writer capturing Castle's/Fillion's voice exactly? Someone with that good an ear for distinctive character voices wouldn't simply "not care" about authentic speech patterns. There's also the fact that the characters on the show don't use British idioms like that, which at least rules out Marlowe. As for Straw, he seems to have gone from LA to NYC without any intervening time living in the UK. (Although with a name like that, it's possible his family is from Britain, though I can't find any evidence of that.) So it remains an anomaly.

I wonder how long it'll be before the ghostwriters finally "come out" officially. Probably they'll keep up the conceit of Castle's authorship as long as the show remains on the air, and maybe for a while thereafter, what with DVD sales and all. I wonder if there's even a nondisclosure clause in their contracts.

18. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

I gotta say the writing of the show has taken a real dive.
    Was a big fan the last two seasons, this year not even watching.
    Very disappointed....

19. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nathan Fillion was on the Kevin Pollock's Chat Show podcast last year and he mentioned that the actual writer of the book was in one scene, talking to Castle, in a bookstore prior to one of Castle's autograph sessions. If I remember correctly, the scene shifted to Castle wrapping up the conversation, and he said to the guy something like "sounds good, thanks" and the guy walked away.
    Kevin asked him who the writer was, and Fillion declined to say since it was Castle who wrote the book.

20. Admiral_Young

Christopher you suggest to Sci to use a little deductive reasoning...but so far you've continued to ignore all the points that I've made in order to continue to support your own approach to your own points. From what I know about you and your dedication to science and logical approach, that doesn't seem to be very fair either. I think I've made very legit counter points that take into account the series very nature...what you call its "cartoonish" tone or whatever. It seems to me you are doing everything to reject this notion instead of embracing or accepting it. I get you don't like this aspect of the series, but it is there. "Castle" is very satirical. You can't ignore that when doing an approach of analysis like the one you're doing. You are going about it with seriousness in mind when "Castle" and particularly the main character is anything but that. He's serious about his work and career yes, but he also likes to have fun and joke around. Why wouldn't he apply this aspect to his own work? Maybe we're both just too passionate about the opposite side of our opinions to come to common ground about this particular subject? LOL.