How did the Federation get footage of Star Trek III in Star Trek IV?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Rock, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Re: How did the Federation get footage of Star Trek III in Star Trek I

Sure...and the Klingons happened to have cameras on the Enterprise bridge so we could see them enter it for the first time.

Riiiiight.

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

This sort of artistic license with "security" camera footage goes all the way back to the original series. In Balance of Terror, Enterprise is still able to view video of a Romulan ship from the POV of a Federation outpost, seconds after the Romulans destroy the outpost. Also, when Spock intercepts a video transmission from the Romulan ship's bridge, the "camera" somehow manages to pan and zoom in on the commander's face.

Also, in Court Martial, the Enterprise video log of the bridge is so detailed, it can zoom right in on Kirk's finger pressing the pod jettison button.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

This sort of artistic license is not unique to Star Trek. It's just the attempt to rationalize it that I find amusing. :)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no need to rationalize what is obviously very clever futuristic face-finding/point-of-interest zooming-inning technology:p

5. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's mostly the pan-and-zoom monitor shots that always got me. Would there not have been some written document for the shot, like say, 'Scene 89 - Monitor Shot' or something.

Then again, I suppose they don't always know how things are going to be edited together. I imagine once everything is filmed, those are pretty much the puzzle pieces you have to work with. Things will get fiddled with. Maybe that's why The Mark of Gideon has the bridge screen shot of Hodan or Krodak or whatever his name was changing scenes on the bridge screen from his talking face to suddenly showing his hand pressing the button to end the communication. I think The Cloud Minders had that effect too, with Plasus.

It's fun to watch the episode previews on the dvd's and catch incomplete or unused shots like that. Like on the Requiem for Methuselah preview, Kirk's face saying "My crew...", when in the final episode the clip has the bridge screen composied with Kirk.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All the reused footage and effects is the reason why the early Star Trek movies feel like cheap TV movies.