Ugly Things That Ruin a Show

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Spot's Meow, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dear world: Enough with the cartoons and super heroes.

That is all.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh?

Nonsense. Look at the Avatar:TLA or The Legend of Korra, look at Young Justice, just try and tell me modern animation is "nasty."

:beer:

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. Love Zoidberg

4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think they're talking about comedic cartoons, though.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I think Phineas & Ferb is a great example of very attractive modern-day animation.

You've got a point there. I really like Superman Returns but I admit that the visuals are sometimes a bit too dingy for my tastes. I suspect some of that had something to do with Jon Peters. He'd always had problems with Superman's red & blue suit. Perhaps he was trying to downplay that as much as possible without actually changing the colors alltogether.

I will always agree with this. Leonard is by far the show's worst offender. Between the voice & the supremely godawful fashion sense, he's like a white Urkel.:wtf:

Didn't the same thing happen with Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow? I had a pretty hard time dealing with that movie's drab color palette.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But . . but you have super-babes as your avatar? I'm confused.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has the pedophile gramps from Family Guy been mentioned? I just can't tolerate that character. Maybe it has something to do with his pedophilia.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Stay away from tonight's episode then :D

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think the reason they get away with the pedophile gramps thing is that he's too frail to actually rape anyone, so while he's disgusting he's actually harmless.

But what Stewie has turned into bugs me more than that. It's like, they ran out of ideas for 'The evil overlord baby' angle and said 'Hey let's just make gay jokes with him'. And every time they go there I cringe.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Before the show got cancelled they were going to do an episode where Stewie comes out. Once they returned though they decided to just make him ambiguously gay instead.

12. JirinPanthosa

When's he going to come out as terribly written?

He's 1, how's his sexuality relevant? Maybe if it were funny, at all, but it's just a bunch of weird uncomfortable grabbiness. Another Family Guy character who was funny in 1999 but turned into something monotonous and cheesy.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I always found it funny, different strokes and all that I guess.

That's not to say I watch the show anymore. There was this one episode where Brian accidentally runs over a dog that just left a bad taste in my mouth, I'm sure they could have done something funny with the premise, but they chose to be extremely graphic in the aftermath of the accident. I've not watched it regularly since.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Something about Star Trek Into Darkness has been bugging me. It's far from my deal breaker with the film, but who the hell designed those uniforms for the USS Vengeance crew?! How am I supposed to take a bad guy seriously when he's dressed like that?

I have some friends who are huge die hard Star Wars fans who refuse to re-watch "Blue Harvest" because they hate the fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi is the pedophile old guy.

15. JirinPanthosa

I refuse to watch Blue Harvest again because it's just the movie scene for scene with easy laugh-oriented character replacement and snarky commentary.

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I agree that the hats are ridiculous, but at least they're not as bad as black rubber stillsuits. Some of the actors just about died of heatstroke, trying to cope with wearing those things in the desert.

As for the funny hats, I just chalk that up to a future society where the aristocracy has all these servants and slaves to do their work for them, so they never need to worry about wearing anything practical.

One of the ugly-things-in-tv-shows that I recall is the colorized versions of some of the old Richard Greene "Robin Hood" series. I loved that program when I was a kid, and enjoyed it even more as an adult - in black and white. I saw some colorized episodes, though, and the first thing that came to mind was, "Grown men just don't wear that shade of green! They wouldn't be caught dead in it!"

(any grown men here who wish to contradict me, go ahead...)

Something else that would dissuade me from watching a show: ugly voices/accents. There are some kinds of accents that I can't stand hearing, and if a character on a show has that kind of accent or a particularly scratchy or shrill voice, I won't watch it.

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Quark in a dress, I can deal with. But Phlox and his toenails... I really, really wish you hadn't reminded me! :lol:

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember them but I wouldn't think anyone who called a ship "USS Vengeance" would be one for subtlety or taste.

19. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.. For every Avatar or Young Justice, or even Teen Titans Go, there is a Flapjack, Regular Show, Billy and Mandy, etc...

The "nasty" started way back with Ren and Stimpy... Occassionally, just for effect, they would do a close up still shot of a character's mouth, nose or whatever, showing it to be disgusting... Now in some cartoons, it's the norm.. Even the "new" Ren and Stimpy overused it... That stuff just makes me cringe.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to go against the grain here. People have mentioned animation, so I'll talk about that.

People my age have told me that the animation for the shows G.I Joe and Transformers from the 80's (both shows were by the same company and had the same animation style) were both really crappy. I beg to differ. As a young viewer, I liked the fact that there were certain things that were done in these shows that is pretty rare now. Firstly, the characters were drawn in proportion, rather than being highly stylized. Whether it's simply just a super big chin in BTAS or huge heads and super slender bodies (as in a recent Spider-Man costume) nothing is as ugly to me in animation (at least, animation in which story, action and character are the important elements) than stylized characters with exaggerated proportion. Sunbow (who animated G.I. Joe and Transformers) kept everyone perfectly proportioned, the seemed like real people and real characters. People can say that the animation itself wasn't quite as smooth as some of the latter efforts of more stylized animation, but, screw it, I was able to invest in the characters more if I can take them seriously. Also the backgrounds were well-done and the usual music cues they sued all the time really made me excited.