FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

Then that was it. This was the special screening I'm talking about that I think showed at two theatres. It was definitely there with some fill-in music.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Some things are worth the effort!:bolian:

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Total re-editing, plus camera shakes and lens flares, or what? How about doing a new music score, too, while we're at it?

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'd be happy if they just showed new ships. I never want to see the Excelsior, Miranda, Oberth, or BoP classes ever again (unless they're in the surplus depot in "Unification").

5. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

I have no problem with Excelsiors becoming the workhorse of the fleet, but some variety is definitely called for.

6. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I know this is even less probable than TNG-R, but, how about having Ron Jones re-score everything thatwas done after he was fired.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Re-scoring the episodes is something that will just never happen. Like it or not, the rather generic scores of the later years of the series are just a part of its legacy as its mostly bland color palette. And since neither are an issue when converting the show to HD, they're not going to be a priority for CBS.

8. Vanyel

I know, but if we all wish upon a star, or clap our hands together, maybe it'll happen. Or all that clapping will drive everyone deaf. One or the other.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If only...

10. Cakemixo

Cakemixo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Data's Day: maybe fix/sharpen the scene at the dance studio with all that overexposed light.

11. JarodRussell

No, we need to target today's kids. So a couple of montages to songs of Lady Gaga would be essential.

12. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Pretty certain it was filmed and exposed that way quite deliberately, in part to conceal the identity of Brent Spiner's dancing double.

Might as well go back and fix all the female close-ups in TOS while we're at it. There should rationally come a point when stylistic choices should not be deemed necessary of 'fixing' even if the style has changed over time.

Would be a great opportunity to go back and do some head replacement in "Data's Day" :D

13. JarodRussell

I didn't like Sela. Can't we edit her out of TNG-R?

14. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that they can digitally edit her out. The bad news is that they can only replace her with either Marina Sirtis or Gates McFadden.

15. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

It will be interesting what they will be doing with Starfleet space stations.
    TOS-R could have reused the K-7 model for The Ultimate Computer, but they didn't. So I'm sure they're gonna take some bigger liberties on TNG-R as well.

I think the movie spacedocks should go (Even in "11001001"). It was beautiful, but the idea of two differently sized versions of those things just doesn't sit right with me. At least they could make some "evolved" version of the spacedock (still retaining the beauty of the original), but I wouldn't mind something completely different- maybe even stuff like a station built into an asteroid or something.

I'm not sure about the upsized Regula in "The measure of a man". Sure DS9 uses this design as well, but in either case it was probably a matter of budget and not much else. Both were military outposts and would be better with a new, more fitting design than the old smallish Regula science station.

16. Vanyel

I like the giant mushroom station. It does have draw backs in that ships can only exit or enter single file. But, the confined protected area can be great for repairs. The station would provide plenty of cover perhaps allowing for lighter more maneuverable spacesuits. The ship can completely power down and not have to worry about solar radiation or debris. The station can be expanded and have external docking ports for ships coming in for minor repairs, refueling, crew rotations and so forth.

17. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Not so evident on the interiors, but the model itself has multiple doors. One or more could have been widened for larger vessels like the Galaxy class. Would still be a pretty tight fit inside I suppose.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Would love to see the mushroom replaced with something the style of the Franz Joseph design (his tech manual). Always liked it.

Everytime Picard orders Worf to lock phasers, we CGI in Commander Decker leaping from one of the aft science stations slowly yelling "belaay thaaat phasser ordder."

19. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first saw TOS-R, I was wowed and floored by the new special FX. I would enjoy that every episode of TNG...sometimes recreating the original would be called for, but no need to be slavish to the original.

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Give us some of those ships from the Federation Ship Recognition Manual in the background, for example, or some of the variants they showed in Best of Both Worlds as destroyed ships...New Orleans class, Challenger class, etc.