mirror universe series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Xzpezer, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Xzpezer

Xzpezer Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have been wondering would a star trek show based in the mirror universe work.It would be cool.We could learn more about the mirror universe and how the Terran empire was created.who could the characters be and who would the show be for.

2. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch it.. I loved the Enterprise 2-parter.

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think I could see a 'History of the Mirror Universe' series flying, but a series with an original MU ship and crew could be awesome if done with actual characterization rather than just a parody. The crew are bad guys, but they're made relatively sympathetic in some ways, even so, like a 'Breaking Bad'-as-starship-crew sort of thing.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Game of Thrones in space. I like it.

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm undecided. I think that the Mirror Universe stories work best because they, welll, hold a mirror up to the "real" universe. We see what our characters are because their Mirror counterparts aren't. On the other hand, I'd really like to watch badass starfleet officers kicking ass and taking names. :)

6. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh. It would very quickly devolve into Nazis-in-space with the racism turned into species-ism.

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I think we are all living in the mirror universe right now, we just don't know it.

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The Mirror Universe concept worked primarily by mirroring something familiar and providing a twist on it. (And even then it was vastly overused; it was basically an Upsidedownland idea that didn't need revisiting more than once or twice.) I doubt it could sustain a series.

... although even as I'm typing that I wonder. A "Mirror Universe" series that suggested, by its characters, what the opposite "positive universe" characters might be -- wherein we finally meet the prime characters in a "mirror" episode -- could actually be sort of interesting, in an odd way. But it would be hard as hell to do.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you're interested in the Mirror Universe, I'd recommend checking out David Mack's duology Mirror Universe: The Sorrows of Empire and Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions. The first features the rise and fall of Emperor Spock; the second features the culmination of the Terran Rebellion.

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'd watch it, since the mirror universe is apparently rampant with lesbianism. Who knew lesbianism was evil?

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always thought that "Mirror, Mirror" works best as a one-off: The Mirror Universe is an inversion of (what we now call) the Prime Universe, with the Halkans as the fixed-point about which the reflection occurs. It is also the setting for something like a morality play that addresses the question of what if the Federation had no non-interference directive and no other similar ethical principles mandating the respect of alien sovereignty.

It was, of course, such a freaking cool and well-received episode that, as the tie-ins and spin-offs continued to get tied-in and spun-off, it was inevitable that it would be revisited. And then revisited again. And again. And again....

The fact that corresponding characters keep cropping up century after century means that what we understand as cause and effect in this universe don't really operate there. To me, the whole idea of continually revisiting it and finding connections with the Prime Universe just strains credibility and has long since started to wear thin.

12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

It isn't. The MU is rampant with it because they deserve some sort of consolation for dealing with all the hate and evil. ;) ;)

13. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Um, no. Just, no.

Mirror, Mirror worked fine as a stand alone episode.

In a Mirror Darkly was great fun and great fan wank: tying both Mirror, Mirror and Tholian Web into the Enterprise show. It remains one of my favorite Enterprise, and indeed Star Trek, episodes.

DS9, while it was arguably the best overall Trek Series, at least for me, just totally dropped the ball on the Mirror Universe. Not one of the mirror universe episodes hold up for me. I think they are all horrid.

Not to mention, when you make an entire series around a "mirror universe," by default, it becomes the prime universe because it is the universe being featured.