League of Extraordinary Gentlemen gets pilot order at Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/alan-moores-league-extraordinary-gentlemen-fox-582372

FOX cancels show after 12 episodes?:lol:

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure Alan Moore will be delighted to hear this.

3. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

It can't possibly be worse than the movie.

Can it?

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the comics yet, but the concept of this does intrigue me. Hopefully this will be worth checking out.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It might have potential if it were on cable, but I don't really have faith in FOX. They probably won't be able to resist making it "family friendly" or dumbing it way the hell down like the movie did.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I like the movie, but I can't see a TV working for very long.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Every commercial network cancels plenty of shows, and it's bizarre that FOX has gotten a reputation of somehow being worse in that regard than everyone else. In fact, in the past few years, FOX has become very supportive of shows that are borderline in the ratings, giving them longer runs than the previous FOX regime, or most networks, probably would have. For instance, giving Dollhouse a whole second season when its ratings would've justified cancelling it midway through the first. Or keeping Fringe around long enough that it actually got to complete its story.

Here's a list of shows cancelled in the past year. In that time, FOX cancelled one sitcom, three reality/game shows, and the dramas Touch and The Mob Doctor as well as ending Fringe -- 7 shows in all. In the same span of time, ABC cancelled 15 shows, including most of its new dramas; CBS cancelled 8; NBC cancelled 14; and The CW cancelled 6. (And Syfy, which some accuse of being a showkiller, cancelled only one.) And note that many of the cancelled shows on ABC, NBC, and CBS were pulled after as little as two or three episodes, as was The CW's Cult.

After how good Dollhouse, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Fringe were allowed to be, I have more faith in FOX when it comes to genre shows than I'd have in ABC or NBC (and CBS has so rarely done anything genre in the past couple of decades -- Person of Interest aside -- that it's barely worth considering). And as a rule, the odds of an American television series being intelligent and well-written are far better than the odds of an American feature film being intelligent and well-written. Movies are a directors' medium, and the industry is dominated by the craving for blockbusters, so it's easy for style and spectacle to overwhelm substance and intelligence. Television is a writers' medium, and its tighter budgets demand a greater focus on story and character over action and effects. Granted, dumb shows do get made -- Cult, for example -- but the odds of an SF/fantasy premise being handled well are better on TV than in movies, if you ask me.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be more than willing to give this one a chance. I actually like the movie despite its faults, and I think it could make for an interesting TV show, particularly if they have episodes focusing on each of them and their adventures.

Maybe they can even bring Sean Connery out of retirement ;) Just kidding on that one.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I've never seen the movie, heard it was terrible.

I loved the comics though.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I liked the movie's version of Captain Nemo and the Nautilus.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Even though I liked the much-hated film, I'm glad they'll be approaching it differently on TV. Hopefully a lot closer to the comic rather than just riffing on the basic set-up as the film did.

I wonder, are the rights problems associated with The Invisible Man cleared now? It'd be nice if he could be Griffin this time instead of a knock-off.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I also really enjoy the movie. Sure, it stumbles around its midpoint, and the Venice sequence doesn't entirely work, but it also starts out quite well, has lots of really solidly-written and acted character beats in the first hour, and the climactic action showdown is varied, exciting, and altogether well-made. And the cast is quite good. I wonder if it wasn't a bit ahead of its time; I say it rates a solid B+.

Oops, I forgot to comment on the thread's actual subj - :p

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The movie was a flop, and it has an ugly Rotten Tomatoes score of 17%. I'm done with watching terrible superhero movies, and have no interest in ever seeing it.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I absolutely love the comic. I enjoy the movie on its own but it is a terrible adaptation.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I hope it has a period setting, but I suspect it might be modernised to compete with Agents of SHIELD. I hope it isn't, as the Victorian setting gives a lot of its attraction.

I'd give this a chance on the basis that it can't be worse than the movie. And if it sucks, then there's a very similar project coming up, which will hopefully do the business:

http://tvline.com/2013/07/09/league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-fox-pilot/

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow, seems everyone TV network is getting on the superhero show bandwagon!:lol:

18. Captaindemotion

^I'm surprised that it's taken this long, given how successful superhero movies have been for the last decade or so.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Well, we did get Smallville and Heroes in recent years. But the first show went on for way too long, and the second show died a fiery death in terms of quality after the first great season.

I'll be quite happy if we get a Daredevil show on television though.

20. Captaindemotion

^Yeah, DD would seem well-suited to tv, ideally something like a HBO production. I'm sure Marvel must know that not all their characters are necessarily suited to the big screen but may well work as small-screen projects. I hope that AOS will be the first of many.