The Dashcam Chronicles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tiberius Jim, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

none of the videos are entertaining like the crazy russian ones, but it seems like a harmless way to vent annoyance.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

You seem to enjoy it? Admittedly, my 'give a shit about Trekker's rants' meter has been worn down over the last decade or so. You pretty much broke it when you blew up on me last year and went WAY over the top, so sorry I didn't respond by being your super-best-friend. :shrug: I saved it, in case you'd like a refresher.

Regardless of any personal history, you deserve to get called on stupid shit just like everyone else. if you post more of it than others, I can't really help that. I don't go seeking you out, I'm just not that into you...

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm not going to talk about it in detail because I know how well you react to it, but I have a feeling you're going to get a "pot calling the kettle black" response about your own questionable driving history in this thread soon enough. It was certainly a hell of a lot worse than anything seen in those videos.

ETA: Ninja'd!

Yes, and those threads always go swimmingly, don't they? What's that thing they say about doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result?

I'm honestly surprised you don't have one already. That is exactly something I would expect you to do.

Thank god you were here to explain to me what he was doing, because I couldn't figure it out from watching the videos an hour ago.

He posted it here looking for feedback. I'm giving him feedback. It's not just the "validate me" forum. I think it's kind of petty and vindictive and that most of the shit in the video is so incredibly minor that it wouldn't even bother me for longer than the span of the incident itself, much less long enough to log it and upload it to YouTube.

No one's saying this is some egregious act on his part that's going to cause anyone serious harm, I'm just saying it's kind of a ridiculous thing to do.

ETA: Plus, he knows photoshop and video editing. He should blur the license plates just in case.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was going 15 over because that was going with the flow of the traffic. And passing me going 20 over is fine. Passing me in the shoulder? Not fine since you're not supposed to drive in the shoulder.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If you want to argue that, not supposed to go 15 over, either. Just because the guy in front of you is ALSO breaking the law doesn't make it legal. You could have moved over a lane and done the speed limit. Enjoy your imaginary distinction between YOUR violation being totally cool and his being horrific, though.

I agree that his is worse, but both are bad, no moral high ground to claim there. Maybe there was an emergency? Or maybe he's just an asshole, no way to know.

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Hitler! Hitler! Nazis! Hitler!

doesn't that end all internet arguements? because you're both having a really boring one

Actually i think the dashcam idea is better as a way to vent than to have a road rage punchup and get arrested or bothering your loved ones with tales of swervy driving at dinner

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Depends. What if the person was driving alone, and by extension driving with Hitler, and you posted the video to YouTube because that pissed you off? Then I think the argument can continue.

[​IMG]

Yes, I agree, posting these videos to YouTube is better than becoming a clocktower sniper or getting in a road rage fight. There are any number of felonies and misdemeanors we can list that posting videos to YouTube is better than. I'm not sure really how that's much of a point, though, since my disagreements with Flux on this aside, I don't think there's much danger of him doing either of those things. Whereas he is actually doing the YouTube thing, which is why we're talking about that.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i think pointing out the venting quality is as equally valid as your feedback upthread which was basically 'i wouldn't have done it so i don't see the point in anyone else doing it'

and now i've started petty arguing :/ i'm beginning to suspect this subject is too boring to actually talk about

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That was essentially the opening comment about the videos: where's teh funny? Lots of effort heckling/shaming people, but without the part where they do something crazy/bad. 1 minute video about a guy that was a couple MPH slow on an on-ramp, figured it out, and then had to wait because someone passed them, then floored it because the ramp ran out. Ok, and..?

10. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i've not watched the videos but if the car plates are readable to be able to trace the driver/owner isnt there some law about filming someone without thier permisson?.

that's why most business's have signs saying they have cameras up .

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

its like when jeremy clarkson was tweeting the number plates of cars that annoyed him

12. Trekker4747

There's no law violation in recording something in public.

Look, I'm not saying I was doing anything right, but pretty much everyone on the highway was speeding, as is often the case on this particular stretch of highway. I "could have" moved over a lane and done the speed limit, but why? This guy could have done the same thing, no?

But, no, he decided to pass a line of cars on the shoulder. Maybe it was it an emergency? Sure. Maybe. He wasn't headed toward any hospital, though, and I'm pretty sure "it was an emergency!" isn't going to get you out of a ticket since only emergency vehicles are allowed to break driving laws.

But, whatever. I'm not saying I was being a lawful driver by speeding but at least I was speeding on the road itself. He wasn't, he decided to go speeding off-road.

13. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the general idea I'm geting from the feedback is...it's okay to post these videos as long as they're A. funny or B. someone is doing something illegal? Otherwise it's just petty and mean? I can understand that, but just about every one of those videos (with the exception of the chick who couldn't close up ranks and let me in the turn lane) featured someone doing something illegal. In the Honda Fit video and the Star Trek music clip...each f those cars was either getting on or already traveling on the freeway at 40 MPH or below. I'm pretty sure driving that slow on the freeway is considered illegal as it impedes the flow of traffic.

I usually try to only post clips where people are doing something dangerous, illegal or just plain assholish and not just someone making a simple mistake. It isn't done vindictively or to shame the person...like I said, it's for entertainment. I started posting these on Facebook and the were a big hit with friends and family. I guess for general consumption I'll have to kick it up a notch and be more choosy over what I post as far as the severity of the incident goes.

Also, I've never understood why people worry about their license plate being seen in video or pictures. It's right there for everyone and anyone to see on the road, but when it's posted online all of a sudden it's some secret code that must be hidden. I don't get it.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Cut to the chase people: does anything happen in any of these? Because you're up after THE HEAVENS EXPLODING AND CRASHING UNTO THE FIRMAMENT, and that's a tough act to follow.

15. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

eh? i'm sorry i don't speak bible

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

This.

Funny how everything you do is great and everybody you know loves it... except people in here, who mostly think they are terrible ideas. Or, as Locutus mentioned:

17. Trekker4747

I never understood it either, sort of the same problems people have with their house being visible on Google Street View.

As for the highway thing, I don't know what the laws are in California (or whereever it is you live) but there many of the highways have a "minimum speed limit" that's often around 40, 45 mies and hour which I, frankly, never understood why such a range (40 mph to 70 mph) was in place. Even still, you'd get a ticket for driving 40 in the far-left lane where people are going much faster and be forced to pass on the right.

But I'm with you, I hate it when people don't merge onto the highway going speed. They get on the highway and THEN speed up which is not the way I learned to get on the highway. You use that quarter-mile long lane to speed up to the flow of traffic and ease in. Along the same lines the traffic already on the highway doesn't have to -nor should be expected to- slow down to allow entering traffic on. Entering traffic is supposed to YIELD to highway traffic and figure out how to get on. Hell, there's been a couple of times I've seen people STOPPED in the acceleration lane waiting for an "opening" (though some existed) that'd allow them to get on to the highway at a slow speed and THEN speed up.

On the flip side I hate it when people slow down on the highway rather than inside the deceleration lane/off ramp.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

Some of them I couldn't even figure out what the heck was annoying him.

19. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

see my comment in TNZ

20. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Faux pas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.