Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You Abrams lickers should totally restart the conversation that got the last one closed again. Wizard idea.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Didn't restart the last one...

I'm pretty sure the comments Legion posted are from this forum.

3. panthers34343

panthers34343 Ensign Newbie

JJ Abrams as the common denominator? NO thank you. The guy made technically made a Star Trek movie (with the title and characters whatever) but he didn't really make a real Star Trek movie. It didn't have a soul. As he himself said he made a Star Trek movie that he himself would want to watch, not something based on the appeal of the previous series.

The guy even admited he was at heart a Star Wars fan, and the theater is essentially Star Wars' homefield so the whole premise is deeply biased in favor of Star Wars.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes he did. He made a great Star Trek movie.

5. BillJ

The beauty of the Trek format is that its flexible enough for all kinds of stories from many different creators. :techman:

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'd really rather that didn't happen, if it's all the same to you.

And no licking. Definitely no licking - J.J. Abrams or anyone else.

7. BillJ

I guess I still don't get it.

I'm pretty critical of parts of the film to this day, but I don't think it's the worst Trek by a long-shot. I also don't think it's the best.

But it's definitely Trek.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, NBA Finals ratings had been trending down before 2012. Pro Bowl ratings are down, too. Game-by-game over the years, the ratings are terribly close, however. And the Pro Bowl is a meaningless game. The NBA Finals are the capstone to the NBA season.

On topic, it's difficult to pin down a real number for the amount of revenue the entire Trek franchise has brought in since 1966. The consensus numbers are between $4 billion to $6 billion from all sources, but those are just educated guesses.

SW has brought in about $6 billion just in its movies, and in a February 10, 2012 story, "Forbes" reported that in 2007 the franchise had made $9 billion in revenue from toys to that point, and $1.6 billion from video games. In the same story, Lucas Licensing reported over $20 billion in revenue world-wide from consumer sales.

Both are popular and wildly successful and long-lived, but to continue a sports analogy, SW is the Yankees with an astonishing 27 World Series wins, and Trek is the Cardinals, with the second most World Series titles, at "only" 11.

It's an embarrassment of riches for all (SW, Trek, the Yankees, and the Cardinals), but if popularity is measured by fans' voting with the money out of their wallets over the years, SW wins hands down.

http://247wallst.com/2012/02/10/the-force-star-wars-franchise-worth-over-30-billion-and-growing/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

This is very true.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really not.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What message board are you on? Star Trek is supposed to be 100% rigidly in line with what one individual person who has nothing to do with Star Trek at any creative level believes Star Trek should be and can only be, and any deviation to such understanding makes it not Star Trek.

12. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Abrams is the Nerd King of all of us.. Star Trek and Star Wars, and they'll both be worth watching!! Maybe a Trek vs. Wars film in the vein of AVP...I don't think Abrams is going to abandon the Trek franchise any time soon. He's only doing the one Star Wars for now. I like how everyone is freaking out, though.. I don't see why he can't do both. Wouldn't you want to do both if you could?

13. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of all the souls I have encounted, his was the most........ human.

That is not what he said (to the highlighted parts.) Your putting words in his mouth.

The writers of the most financially and critically successful film in the Star Trek franchise should though. Who is that? Orci and Kurtzman.... don't be mad bro.

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see as many Star Wars fans freaking out about this on popular Wars message boards like stardestroyer.net. God some sci-fi fans can be incorrigible.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A bit like Betty or Veronica, isn't it? ;)

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Abrams has proven he knows what the hell he's doing so let him take a shot at both franchises. If the man can get the project done on time, on budget and with the minimum of fuss and problems then I don't care if he's the King of Lens Flare.

As I've said before, almost complete unknowns to the outside world like spy thriller director Richard Marquand were chosen for past Star Wars films and those guys - even without a lick of experience in the sci-fi/fantasy genre - turned out very good product people still enjoy and even love to this day.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Talking to yourself? :confused:

18. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

We don't have any choice. Nothing said here can empower or impede Mr. Abrams.

Sure, and if he can do a remake of the Godfather within the same amount of time, why not?

Realistically, if he insists on being totally hands-on with both, both projects will take longer, and with greater fuss.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

So what? Really. So what? It's not like either Paramount or Disney owes the movie-going public anything by a specific date. In fact, neither of them owes us anything at all. They are entirely free to produce a film and release it when they damn well please. We are entitled to like, dislike or be indifferent to whatever they release--that is the extent of our rights. Composers, filmmakers, writers, playwrights, painters, sculptors…anyone who puts something creative out into the marketplace (whether mainstream or off, off, off, off Broadway) does so without owing the audience a thing. The audience is free to take it or leave it. Given the combined appeal of Abrams' work in the aggregate, Trek and Wars in particular over the past several decades and the fact that two major studios have placed multiple major franchises into his hands, I'd say general audience satisfaction is practically guaranteed. All while continuing to allow anyone who is disappointed to voice that disappointment, if they so choose (or ignore the product altogether if they really can't stand his work).

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ovation part of the problem IMO is that some fans of Trek are so self deluded they think they can demand that major studios acquiesce to their demands. For example the recent attempt to save Star Trek Enterprise.

Save Star Trek Enterprise

As if a major studio like Paramount gives two shits about a handful of disgruntled obsessive compulsive Star Trek fans.