Broadcasters' woes could spell trouble for free TV

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by John Picard, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I said FU to the cable people when I moved into my new house, no way am I spending that much money on shit programming. I buy DVDs of the shows I like.

This year I'm going to do the same with the phone company - $32/month for the absolute base service is a joke. I'll take the $6/month hit and switch to dry loop DSL then just get a pay as you go personal cell (I currently use my business cell for all my cellular needs).

2. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

So what do you use for basic phone service? What if the battery runs dry or something? And how will you make sure that the kids don't fuck around with the phone using it all of the time?

3. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I dropped my landline as well once I could get a 3G signal to my house. No sense paying two phone bills.

:wtf:
    Recharge the battery. Duh. Believe it or not, there are times when the phone company (landline) experiences outages and problems.

Again, :wtf::wtf:

4. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Sorry, I don't have a cell phone, that's why I asked.

Myself, I've got a bundle from Ma Bell (Internet, satellite TV, basic phone) and I'm content with that. But just for info's sake, what is a 3G signal, and why is it better than a land line?

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I'd suggest stocking up on as much DVD's of your favorite show as you can-when the new tax takes shape in June, you won't be able to buy as much as you're used to.

5. John Picard

I live out in the sticks where there is no cable broadband service. Satellite is expensive and service is shit. I have a wireless device that picks up AT&T's "wireless broadband" signal that I use for connecting to the Internet, which means no more dial-up for me.

Having all bundle from one-provider, to me, is pretty much suicide. People I work with are hysterical, bitching that their cable bundle keeps going up in price -- as well as bitching when their digital phone service goes out. Um, Dumbass -- you can't tell the difference between the digital quality and analog considering you're not on a true digital connection. Top that off with losing phone service when there's a power interruption due to a storm -- where's the advantage? None.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Most people I know use their cellphones as their primary phone. Only my mom has a landline anymore, and that's more out of habit than anything. She's slowly but surely starting to use her cell more often. I expect the landline to be gone within the next year or so.

As for batteries...um...the cellphone tells you how much is left on the battery...and when it runs low, you charge it. It ain't rocket science.

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Most of the people I know still have landlines. We use both cell phones and landlines.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't own a cellphone, for two basic reasons:

1) My home security system. It has to have a landline to work. It's unavoidable.

2) Cell phone plans are too expensive. For my landline, I pay 20 bucks a month. Good luck getting a cell plan for anything less than twice that.

Huh? :confused:

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I must have really good luck then.

10. John Picard

The reason that you, and many others, still have both is that you have this false sense of security keeping the landline. The "what if" game kicks in regarding having only the cell phone, which is utterly ridiculous. I had a friend who realized that he and his wife each had cell phones and a land-line, yet the land-line was never used. They realized, "DUH" and had it disconnected. The phone company used all kinds of scare tactics to get him to change his mind. He's been land-line free for over two years and nary a problem. The same happened when I disconnected my land line, and I've gone so far as to remove the phone box from the house as well as digging up the phone line in my yard.

Yeah, he's not giving the whole story.. That $20 doesn't cover long distance and probably has a limit to the number of calls. I pay $30 for my cell service, which includes free nights/weekends.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

When I went to college, it was impractical for me to have a landline. What, I was supposed to set up and cancel service after 9 months when summer break arrived? I was supposed to set up and cancel service every year because I moved? Way too much work. I had my cell, and at no point did I ever miss having a landline.

I think Long Distance is reason enough to ditch the landline. My mom only uses hers to call her relatives in Pennsylvania, and my dad gets annoyed because that long distance call would have been free if she used her cellphone instead of the landline.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Been paying for TV for twenty years now. Doesn't much matter if free TV goes away or not. The model for free TV no longer works, can't remember the last time I watched the local news.

13. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

That was directed at my fellow Canadian Bisz: a new tax is coming in Canada in June 2010, and it will make things more expensive.

There's always low power TV/radio, which would allow for different kinds of radio and TV than what we get now, and maybe for a version of TV like the current system.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  14. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I pay $38 a month. Free long distance, roaming, voicemail 450 talking minutes. I havent had any problems unless I break my phone. Which isnt to much a problem because its easy to replace if I do.(I have broken my phone once in 8 years) No landlines since I moved to my current residence almost 7 years ago.

As for the cable if they go al carte I bet it wont be cheap. I would much rather have my cell phone than cable tv.:lol:

15. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

if you mean the 1.5% levy to fund local tv that will be charged on your cable or satelite bill, it's already here. Cogeco (part owned by Rogers and operating in Ontario and Qebec) will start collected it from January. We recieve a notification about in early december.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right on the former (I pay 5 cents a minute for long distance calls, which I rarely make) but not the latter (I don't have a limited number of calls).

But like I said, I HAVE TO HAVE THE BLOODY LANDLINE. This is because of my alarm system - it requires a landline. So that pretty much settles it for me.

17. Peach Wookiee

How do you get local news? Online?

18. John Picard

If you live where you need an alarm, then I feel sorry for you. Hell, I'm surprised the alarm companies haven't evolved to the point of using a wireless transponder, considering the phone line is a vulnerability.

19. Peach Wookiee

Some people have alarms even in safe neighborhoods. And even a wireless transponder isn't foolproof.

20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What did you do that for? What if the next people who live in your house want or need one? You just caused them a lot of hassle.