Embarrassed by Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by IlogicalOne, May 17, 2009.

1. IlogicalOne

IlogicalOne Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi All,
    I am new to this forum and am a fan of Star Trek TOS and Voyager as well and was glad that I had a chance to finally get to watch Voyager some years after the series ended. When it first aired I was working nights and never had the chance to watch it and it took forever for it to come to cable like TOS,TNG and DSN did.
    That being the case, I was pleased when Spike TV started airing Voyager and
    I had my first look at the series I had waited to see for such a long time. My only problem with this Trek series though was the way they had Seven of Nine looking like some sort of sex goddess with her tight fitting custom. Now I don't mean to offend anyone here by sounding sexist or like a prude, I'm not. I like looking at woman same as any man does, respectfully of course and not in a vulgar demeaning way. But I have to admit, I felt some what uncomfortable if anyone came in while I was watching Voyager and Seven of nine was on the screen flaunting her stuff. I admire actress Jeri Ryan and think she was terrific in her part but could they not of made her look so, I don't know, over sexed? I mean she did distract from most episodes she was in. Nice looking though, but took away from the story.
    Would love to see her reprise her role again if she ever has the chance. Maybe in something a little less sexy though.

Thanks.

2. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Embarrassed for Voyager? - never!

Embarrased because of a catsuit? - No. Personally I did not pay any attention to it after couple of episodes.

In addition, I really don't care if some teenager boys lose their marbles because of a catsuit. For them it might to do trick to sell the character, but for me the catsuit was more or less irrelevant. Couple of times it was laughable mostly, but not embarrassing. I would have liked to see the Borg implate stripping taking longer than it did, though. Maybe the catsuit could have premiered in the end of the season 4 instead.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

7 doesn't think about such things, her uniform choice is based purely on comfort. Having fabric flapping around and loose distresses her after years of borg plating, she likes to feel contained.

So, next time you feel embarrassed about 7 just remember what she's been through and stop thinking about yourself.

4. IlogicalOne

You are right. I had not thought of it that way before. Also I think her character added to the show. TOS had Spock, TNG had Data and Voyager had it's SOV. All beloved members of the Trek family.

5. IlogicalOne

Maybe embarrassed was too strong a word. Still love the character of Seven and what she did for the show.

6. Tachyon

She was a good character. A little over-used to say the least, but a good one. :)

7. Vykan12

Vykan12 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The borg physically enhanced their drones with all those artificial body parts, it's only natural that 7 was that voluptuous. Would you expect someone who was genetically modified by a sophisticated race to be a fat slob?

8. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

That's not really the point...

And yeah, if someone were to catch me watching a Voyager scene/episode with Seven in it, they would probably give me the "you're a pervert" look and embarassement would follow. So I fully understand what you mean IlogicalOne.

That makes no sense, we're talking about real life here...

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Eh, the scantily clad sexy female has been a part of sci-fi for so long that there's little point in being a prude just because Trek did it too. In fact that was hardly the first time Trek did it.

10. Praetorian

Something being done countless times before is no excuse to keep doing it...

Specially because I didn't like it before too!

11. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

You know, I've never understood the anti-catsuit thing around here with the argument that it was 'too distracting' or 'too sexy'. There has always been at least one sexpot on Trek. In TOS it was Uhura followed by Nurse Chapel. In TNG it was Troi followed by Beverly. In DS9, it was Kira followed by Dax. In Voyager it was Kes then Seven followed by Torres. (Alas, even I realize Janeway is toward the bottom of the lineup. *sigh* ) In Ent, it was T'Pol followed by Hoshi.

There's nothing really off on Seven's attire other than the fact that her chest was more pronounced than Kes's was. (No offense to those of you who loved Kes.)

Were you distracted by Troi's catsuit? How about the miniskirt, almost-a-shirt uniform Uhura wore? Were your attentions taken from the storyline when Kira walked through in her catsuit like uniform? *shakes head* That issue just never made any sense to me.

At the very least, there is a logical reason why Seven's suit looks like it does, which is more than I can say for the rest of the ladies. There's no reason for a uniform to be sexy... thinking Uhura and Kira here.

Sorry, this just perplexes me.

12. Tachyon

Not to mention that the Starfleet uniforms in DS9's later seasons were almost as tight as Seven's catsuit. Just look at Dax. Seven was a little more "curvlicious" because of the corset Jeri had to wear.

13. Praetorian

Yes, I didn't like those things either. Hell I couldn't take Troi seriously until she started wearing a standard uniform... And I would rather have female Starfleet Officers in TOS wearing the trousers version...
    Kira wearing a catsuit was lame... While I think that Nana Visitor is an atractive woman, I though her original look was much better. As Nana herself said, "Kira was an ex-terrorist, she didn't care about her looks..." hence Nana requesting a new hair cut after "Emissary". However that was replaced by catsuit, more stylish hair cut and high heels... Lame, very lame.

No one mentioned "my attention taken from the storyline" so why bring that up?
    Despite the cat suit, Seven became of my favourite characters... However I didn't like the cat suit. It was a cheap (can it not be cheap? =P) attempt at T&A that I would have prefered to not have happened.

Again...this is not relevant. I didn't like those things as well! Don't use this as some sort of argument...

It would be like me saying I didn't like the plotholes in Voyager and someone answering that other Star Trek series also have plotholes...
    And that it's not an uncommon situation in sci-fi in general!

Why? Does that makes plotholes any less bad? No....

14. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

I think that's more telling of them than you.

15. Praetorian

:p

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  16. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Why on earth would I be embarrassed about watching VOYAGER? In my opinion, VOYAGER, along with NEXT GENERATION and DEEP SPACE NINE are the three best TREK shows. None of them are perfect. But all three are better than THE ORIGINAL SERIES or ENTERPRISE.

17. Tachyon

Honey - this catsuit business ain't all that important for me, nor does it evoke any strong feelings. So I really don't care how relevant that observation of mine was, I was just saying what was on my mind. :lol:

18. Praetorian

As are we all! :techman:

19. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

What they said. :techman:

I've just always been baffled by it and have always felt there will be people who dress with sexier outfits than those around them. It happens everyday, and I see no reason why Trek should be any different. Whether it's a cheap shot at T&A doesn't really seem like much of an argument as to why it wouldn't be there. After all, Trek is, above all things, a show designed to bring in ratings, and money. If Jeri in a corset got me seven years of Kate Mulgrew as captain, then why not?

People who think you're a perv for watching a sci-fi show are, as someone else said, reflecting on themselves. It's like not wanting to be seen going into Hooters because everyone knows you're going there for the ... Hooters. I go there for the wings. It's the truth. You can believe what you want. If you choose to believe that I'm a perv, that's your issue. Why are you watching me go into Hooters? :shifty:

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What frustrates me is that people see 7 and yell "T and A" but few yell this about Kira's catsuit scenes (check out MU Kira!).

7 is targeted because she has big breasts. Should only small breasted women get to wear catsuits?