Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MacLeod, May 20, 2013.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't like their decision to charge for multiplayer, but it's still cheaper than XBL Gold and PS+ just appears to be a better service all around. Sony also aren't charging for the use of 3rd-party apps like MS do.

As fun as TitanFall looks, I don't think it will overcome all the positives the PS4 has going for it at this point, especially not considering will probably come to PS4 at some point. Unless MS can subsidise the console and sell it for $300 with a subscription, Sony has a clear advantage. The PS4 is cheaper, has fewer restrictions, and is a more powerful console by all accounts. Things can change in the coming months, but Sony have won a 360 owner like me over, and I'm not the only one.

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

From Forbes:

"First and foremost, the used game issue simply didn’t need to exist. Microsoft took far too long to convey the message that it was up to publishers to activate or deactivate used game sales, and by the time they did, people were already permanently upset with them. I completely empathize with their desire to push for digital distribution, but they got too far ahead of themselves. They could have set up an easy, convenient digital download network for new games that people could use if they so chose. But they also should have kept physical discs around for those who wanted them, and not used them as mere licenses to install content to a hard drive."

More than likely what we're seeing is a massive failure in the PR department, but for the most part, if I was forced to choose between the two, I'd get a PS4. It's kinda sad really, I love my 360, but they made being a gamer way too complicated.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

MS most likely didn't anticipate the sheer level of fan and customer reaction.. they surely counted on some negativity but so far most of the internet is foaming at the mouth.

Sony wisely held back as long as they could and i bet they were watching very closely how things with MS developed and i am pretty sure they had 2 plans in the drawer depending on the general atmosphere.. do exactly as MS did if the outcry was on acceptable and expected level or position yourself as the anti-MS company who cares more about its customers/gamers than some faceless companies/developers (and milk the heck out of it).

They wisely chose the latter and are now already hailed as the winner of the next gen console race. While MS almost lost me as a potential customer i'd rather not predict an outcome.

From experience i can honestly say that fanboys may be loud but when the time comes to put their money where their mouth is most of them quietly buy the console they've been fuming over for months and when called on it invent all kinds of reasons.

So MS will most likely be successful, Sony will be for sure and everybody should choose their system (and some will buy both) according to preferences and tastes.

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

It will be interesting to see how many new games are still being made for the last-gen consoles (particularly the 360) despite a forced end-of-life path from MS.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Given that they just launched a brand new 360, probably at least two years, probably more.

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I doubt it'll be that long. They're trying to flog new xbox 360s to those who want to be able to play their 360 content after the One becomes the only game in town.

7. 137th Gebirg

But I'm thinking they may see a Windows XP/Vista phenomenon, with users favoring an older proven platform over the massive perceived problems of the new one, forcing MS to accelerate its efforts on the next-next-gen product, in the OS case, Windows 7. XP lasted many years longer than MS ever intended due to Vista's questionable design. I see a similar experience here.

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing is, I don't think there are any more first party 360 games so they're basically leaving it to Call of Duty and EA Sports to make 360 a relevant platform this year and into the future. It's almost as bad as when they dropped Xbox... the first.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They have one: the Fable HD remake. But Microsoft is generally fairly light on the first-party releases anyways, compared to Sony (and especially compared to Nintendo).

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh dear, Microsoft's Don Mattrick's answer to all those on nuclear subs complaing about no online, god damn submariners ruining it for the rest of us. lol
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAKSBvuT-A[/yt]

11. TheGodBen

Gods, that bit where he said people without internet connections should buy a 360 instead was ridiculous. They'll buy a PS4, dum-dum. Congratulations, you just ceded a significant portion of the market to your primary competitor.

This is the same sort of arrogance that Sony execs displayed during the PS3 launch and it's part of what convinced me to buy a 360 instead.

12. 137th Gebirg

^^^ That plus their inept "handling" of the hacked credit card accounts last year. Yes, MS has severely screwed the pooch with the X1, but don't kid yourselves, Sony is just as retarded when it comes to business models and accountability. Jumping to the PS4 as a knee-jerk reaction is (IMO) folly, as I'm convinced something else will come up that will horrify the Sony customer base (with a growing population of XBox defectors) and make them want to run back into the loving arms of mama MS (also folly). The only winners in this are Nintendo and the PC gaming community.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Will there be an XBLA at all on the X Box One? or is it being dropped altogether. I know any 360 downloads from XBLA will not work of course.

14. TheGodBen

You're entitled to believe what you wish, but unless there's any evidence for your beliefs it's about as meaningful to this discussion as a fart.

Nobody is jumping anywhere, and nobody is defecting to anything. We're consumers choosing between two next-gen consoles and what we own in the current gen has little bearing on that decision, especially considering neither of these consoles is backward compatible. One of those companies gives the impression they're ignoring consumers while the other is attempting to alleviate our concerns, so the latter is obviously enjoying more support from enthusiasts right now. You're right in that things could change in the coming months, Sony could screw up somehow, or Microsoft could backtrack on some of their DRM. I would not encourage anyone to put money down on either of them right now, I certainly don't plan to. But if someone put a gun to my head right now and forced me to choose, I have a clear favourite.

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Don Mattrick has a permanent smirk on his face, like he's pulled the biggest joke on the world and finds it so funny.

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Xbox Live Arcade will be gone; all games will be centralized in the same XBL Marketplace, with no distinction between "arcade," "indie," and "retail."

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Agreed, it's not rocket science to thing that those who don't have/don't want or have poor interenet connections. Might go buy your main competators console.

It doesn't make business sense to exclude a portion of your market.

18. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly! Also, the smirk on the guys face as he was saying, I don't know why but that's what sealed it for me. As long as Sony doesn't have a massive screw up between now and when I purchase a new system, that a-hole just gave the competitor my business.

19. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Microsoft did this a decade ago when they made Xbox Live broadband only.

The difference is that this time around, as a consumer it's hard to see the benefits of some of the policies they're implementing (I'm sure game publishers are thrilled though). Couple that with multiple viable alternatives that offer comparable gaming experiences like Sony and Steam, then it doesn't make much sense at all.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^That's not really the same thing.

With the XBox, and X360 you can still purchase one even if you didn't have broadband and happily play offline by yourself or with friends at home.

With the XBox One it is mandatory to sign in once a day, how do consumers without a broadband connection do that?