So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My review of Avatar, Book One, the first book of the DS9 relaunch, is now up.

I just finished The Fall, Book 2: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack. One word: wow. Review coming soon.

2. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Just got Revelation and Dust out of the library (long wait list!) so I'm looking forward to starting that.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was still in a Star Wars mood after finishing the the third Legacy collection, so I started Mist Encounter, the short story at the end of the Outbound Flight paperback.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Took a little brake from the A Time To series. The first two, not so great. The Ward/Dilmore entries were pretty good. Didn't care for the plot that much, but the characters were spot on.

Reading The Left Hand Of Destiny now. Good stuff. After that, Crimson Shadow. Then, probably back to the A Time To series.

5. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

FYI - The Kindle editions of Revelation and Dust and The Crimson Shadow are lower priced than usual - $6.44 and $4.55 respectively. Yay!

ETA: Actually, it looks like quite a few Trek books are cheaper than usual - the Cold Equations books are only $.99. If you've been waiting to add something to your library, today might be a good day to browse. :D

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Finally managed to get my hands on Summon the Thunder and Reap the Whirlwind after reading (and loving) Harbinger last year. I'm about halfway through Summon the Thunder right now. Excellent, so far! :techman:

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Very hard finds! Enjoy. Vanguard is fantastic :techman:

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honoustly, Vanguard is just so good, I could read the entire series, then start with Harbinger again right after Storming Heaven. :D

9. Black Cloud S31

Black Cloud S31 Ensign

I am going to finish of Vanguard in the next couple of weeks.

10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Gazer Gaunlet by Micheal Jan Friedman.

11. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Yesterday I finished Star Trek: The Brave and the Bold, Book Two by KRAD.

I then read the second Soleta story from New Frontier: No Limits, "Out of the Frying Pan" by Susan Shwartz.
    Question: Does anybody know why Soleta and Burgoyne each got two stories in the anthology?

I'm now about to start Frozen Heat by "Richard Castle".

After that, I'm not sure. I've may start Star Trek: The Fall: Revelation and Dust, but I've also thought about waiting until all of The Fall books have come out and reading them back to back. Any suggestions?

12. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"Chain of Attack" by Gene DeWeese.

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was under the impression that the anthology wasn't aiming at a specific number of stories per character, but rather that the authors involved picked who they wanted to write about (it says something to that effect in the introduction)...so I guess they were just popular characters? Mac and Shelby had individual stories and a joint story as well.

14. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Finished Deus Ex: The Icarus effect, which was great. I did have one or two questions about plot elements but I've had a busy weekend and totally forgot what they were.

Now my PAD reading is back in the swing with Strike Zone.

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I am now reading Foreign Foes by the team of Greg Brodeur and Dave Galanter. I feel like every single numbered book I have read lately is following the same plot outline. You know, something along the lines of "The Enterprise is called to settle a dispute...blah blah blah...but they find the planet has a deadly secret that could spell trouble for the ENTRPRISE AND THE ENTIRE FEDERATION."

16. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had a flurry of of ST book reading at the beginning of the year which ended about the time Stuff of Dreams and Devil's Bargain came out. Since then I've been catching up on Charles Stross, Richard Stark, Joe Abercrombie and some other writers. I've been letting what's come out since then build up but I'm starting to feel some of what I've got is in my must read pile, The Fall, Choice of Futures and Historys Shadow but I decided to make my first foray into Shatnerverse by reading The Ashes of Eden. About a third of the way in and so far not overly exciting. It's got the usual good writing you would expect from a book actually written by G&R and some interesting continuity stuff but the plot itself isn't catching me.

The best book I've read recently is The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. I never ready Fantasy, I just didn't get into Tolkien as a kid, I much preferred the harder SF, but after watching Game of Thrones I asked the local SF book store to recommend some fantasy that wasn't a 10 book 1000 page each series, "Oh, you're looking for something with an ending?", and they pointed my to Abercrombie. Both books if his I've read have been great.

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I steamed through Una's fantastic The Fall: Crimson Shadow and am now heading back to Vanguard. Hopefully i can finish it off before the next Fall book by David Mack :)

18. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading:
    The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack
    Gone for Soldiers by Jeff Shaara
    The Illearth War: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever #2 by Stephen R. Donaldson

Since my last post, I finished:
    The Escape (VOY #2) by Dean Smith and Katherine Rasch
    Devil In The Sky (DS9 #11) by Greg Cox and John Gregory Betancourt
    Lord Foul's Bane: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever #1 by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Escape was the first original VOY novel to be published. It does suffer from some of the usual teething troubles since it was written before the series actually premiered, but overall it was very enjoyable. I thought the characterization of Janeway, especially, was spot on.

I really liked Devil In The Sky - it was a great idea to have
    a bunch of baby Hortas loose on the station when their mom gets kidnapped
    . Odo had some great moments in this book, too. With a bit of tweaking this book would have been a great DS9 two-parter as long as it was done before the Dominion War.

I'm taking a short break from my marathon of older ST books to do a re-read of the Thomas Covenant books. The first and second trilogies, published in the late 70s and mid-80s respectively, are old favorites of mine and I've been following the final series since the first book was published in 2004. Now, the final book in the series is set to come out in October and I decided to re-read the whole saga one more time in preparation.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To give credit where it's due, it was our editor, John Ordover, who came up with the basic premise of that book. And as for who wrote what, I basically wrote all the scenes on DS9 while Betancourt wrote all the scenes with the away team. And we wrote the final scenes together . . . while racing to beat a big New York snowstorm.

20. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"The Final Nexus" by Gene DeWeese.