The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Cooleddie, how is the Vader? Is it any kind of improvement over the Evolutions one? That's still the best Vader, imo. Though, I know that this one is ANH Vader, and the Evolutions one is ROTJ. I guess the better comparison is to the VOTC version, which was also ANH based.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    What really irks me about figures like the Imperial Navy Commander are that they're supposed to be army builders collectors need to buy multiples of, but he's going to be released just once this entire year and is packed just one per case of twelve figures. That means unless your store puts out a whole bunch of cases' worth of this wave on their pegs and you're lucky enough to find all those Imperial Navy Commanders before anyone else then you're not going to be able to army build. It just makes no real sense. Characters like him should be at least two per case to ensure that people who want more than one of him will be able to get more than one of him. :shrug:

The best A NEW HOPE Darth Vader ever made. Ball-jointed hips, baby. Ball-jointed hips. And they finally sculpted his hands to be able to securely grasp his lightsaber, got the color of his mask's eye lenses correct(in the original movie they were reddish-brown, not black like in all the other films where the Vader armor appears) and nailed his shoulder armor(in the first film they had fabric from his robes draped over them). A definite must-buy, man. Get him if you see him. He'll probably sell out fast. ;)

3. OdoWanKenobi

^Remember the Scout Trooper fiasco years ago? Nobody could find them because everyone was army building. This was made even worse by the fact that there was a mail-away figure that required buying all of the figures in the wave. Hasbro had to change it so that any combination of figures could be used to get the mail-away.

4. cooleddie74

It's funny. The Episode I Battle Droid will appear in at least three case assortments this year, but more popular Original Trilogy army builders like the Hoth Rebel Soldier, Mon Calamari Pilot and Imperial Navy Commander each appeared in just one. That's it. A whole lot of people still haven't found the Deleted Scenes wave because of the glut of all the Episode I wave figures from January and February, and it's made even worse by the fact that the Mon Cal Pilot army builder in that assortment isn't getting repacked anymore this year. I love Hasbro for the most part...they're probably the best toy company on the planet. But man, when it comes to getting an adequate supply of really popular and in-demand STAR WARS figures on the market they're as clueless as a Neanderthal with a time machine.

Episode I 3-D is over. It's come and gone. Nobody wants to see hundreds of Qui-Gons, Ewan McGregor Obi-Wans and Podracers on the pegs for the next twelve months. Let's get more new stuff to the stores, and in good numbers so everyone will have a shot at the good stuff.

5. OdoWanKenobi

Yes, because movie toys are always rotated in a timely manner, which is why there are no Thor or Captain America figures still to be found on pegs.

Oh, wait....

6. cooleddie74

The all-time worst glut of STAR WARS toys was during 1999-2001, when all that unsold Episode I merchandise just crammed store pegs for what seemed like an eternity and new waves with new figures were sort of infrequent. The final wave of Episode I(Sio Bibble, Pit Droids) was released around March of 2000 and then it was six or seven long, boring months before the very first figures of the brand-new Power of the Jedi line started trickling into stores...and even then leftover Episode I stuff hung around well into 2001 in some stores I saw.

7. OdoWanKenobi

Oh man, I remember that. I may have been a very young collector at that time, still dependent on my mother to buy me my plastic crack but I remember my disappointment at going into Wal-Mart, or Toys R Us and seeing peg after peg of Soi Bibbles.

I don't know if anyone here is interested in the more high end stuff, but I thought I might show off the Star Wars figures that I have from Sideshow Collectibles. These are in 1:6 scale, and are awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know you can't see them all from the angle of the pics, but I'd be happy to take better pics of individual ones if anyone asks.

8. cooleddie74

That's way more high-end stuff than I have, bro. VERY nice pictures. My most "high-end" collectibles are probably the 12" Hasbro figures and some of the electronic ships and vehicles.

9. OdoWanKenobi

Haha, these put the Hasbro 12 inch figures to absolute shame.Vader, Maul, and Clone Wars Obi-Wan are are easily among my absolute favorite things that I own, along with the Iron Man, Yoda Vs. Clonetrooper, and Creature From The Black Lagoon statues that I showed in the picture of my desk. That Creature statue is extra special. Only 100 of those exist in the whole world.

10. cooleddie74

^
    I agree! As much as I like all of my 12" figures and dolls your collection blows them all completely away. It's like comparing ripe apples and orange peels. :p

Here's my Deleted Scenes figures I scored about a month ago. These things are still unreasonably hard to find for a whole lot of collectors here in the States thanks to the logjam of unsold Episode I wave figures that doesn't seem to be budging all that much. These are some of my favorite Vintage Collection figures, especially the Luke and the Mon Cal Pilot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. OdoWanKenobi

I had to stop by Wal-Mart for something, and lo and behold, there has been a restock! The bad news is, I was too late for Luke and Leia. The good news is that I scored Lando and the Mon Calamari, though.

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You have Iron Man holding an American flag. Not sure if you are serious.

Hasbro is good with poseability and making toys. They are just terrible in regards to actual distribution or actually releasing the product.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember you promised me army photos cooleddie?

Also all my weapons have become separated from my 70's figures and I might post them some time with the figures for help.

14. OdoWanKenobi

Not sure if I'm serious about what? That's the Sideshow Collectibles Classic Iron Man Comicquette. The design of the statue is him holding an American flag.

15. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'm waiting for the Classic Pinkie Pie holding an Equestrian flag statue. ;)

GornMcCoy likes this.
  16. cooleddie74

I know...I know. :alienblush:

But it takes a lot of work to pose ALL of those army builders for photos. I just haven't had enough time, but I'll see what I can do about it.

I'll do it if I can. For you. Because you're so effervescent, witty and lovely. :luvlove:

17. cooleddie74

Can't argue with that. I've been collecting STAR WARS long enough to know that when Hasbro says a new wave of figures or vehicles is going to be on store shelves you need to add about, oh, one to three months to that estimation...and even then you'll be lucky if your local stores order more than a handful of cases.:scream:

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you read Marvel: Civil War?

19. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, and this is classic Iron Man. :p

20. cooleddie74

That's the story most people seem to have when it comes to the Deleted Scenes wave. They'll find two or even three of them. Four if their timing is really good. But all five? It's a rarity to say the least. Luke(Lightsaber Construction) is easily the most popular figure in the entire wave and seems to be the very first one to fly off the pegs. Quite a few of my friends on collector websites and message boards have had to resort to eBay or ordering entire case assortments online just to get him.