A Little Something I'm Playing With...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, Dec 21, 2009.

?

Which makes for the best cover for a new Concordance?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2010.
  1. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImprov.jpg[/IMG]

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImp-7.jpg[/IMG]

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImp-8.jpg[/IMG]

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImp-9.jpg[/IMG]

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImp-11.jpg[/IMG]

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImp-10.jpg[/IMG]

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  7. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/CaptApril/StarTrekConcordance-TheNewandImp-13.jpg[/IMG]

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

About fifteen years ago, I was one of the contributing artists for the then-new edition of Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance. Suffice it to say, a lot of folks were sorely disappointed by that edition, which not only ignored Bjo's notes and suggestions about layout, but left out the vast majority of the fan artwork that had previously been approved for the new edition. Personally, I had over twenty pieces approved, and only one made it in, shrunk down to the size of a postage stamp.

Then, the publisher went bankrupt, and presumably took the Concordance with it.

Or so we thought. All they took is the rights to a hard copy version (and even that might be open to debate). As far as an online version, or something along those lines, Bjo still retains the rights.

So, I've been pestering her for the past few weeks to let me help in getting a new, proper version up and running in .pdf form, probably for a download-on-demand situation. She doesn't want to deal with this until after the holidays, so please, don't bug her; that's my job. :devil:

Instead, I'd like to get some opinions on some cover ideas I've been playing with.

Granted, one of the versions is strictly for me, and not under serious consideration by anyone, but some folks might get a kick out of it.

I've also provided the means for those who don't like any of them to make your own submission.

[​IMG]

(Please indicate you're doing your own by choosing this one in the poll.)

Links for larger versions of the above pics coming soon...

2. Captain Robert April

Comments are, as always, welcome.

3. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

The Concordance is a thing of beauty, which should be available to fans everywhere. Good luck getting it back off the ground!

Maybe it could even be "enhanced" to include write-ups of "Trials & Tribble-ations," "Flashback" and the 2009 movie (for "Spock Prime.")

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

As for cover details, the show wasn't about the Enterprise shooting stuff. Or really about space stations. So I voted for the third image. However, if it has to be about shooting stuff, I would have voted for four. I always liked the blue more than the red.

--Alex

5. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

I voted for #4, not because of the military intent, but because of the color balance it gives to the Enterprise and the "pop" effect it gives to the book (I hate using that term since it is overused, but it has been a long day and I didn't feel like coming up with a new one).

6. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I went with #5 because the low angle shot is so overused regardless of firing or not - you've got 4 versions right here - but if I had to pick a low angle one, it would be #4 also.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for number 7 cus Star Trek has been around for 40= years so to have 1 ship from just one of the series didnt seem to fit IMHO :)

Cool covers though numbers 1-6 :):techman:

8. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

I did several pieces for that edition, with three or four that actually made print. It was a big thrill to make an appearance in such a prestigious piece, and as you say, something of a disappointment that the illustrations were so small.

Please keep us up to date on this project. It was the first, and still the best, of its kind.

9. Captain Robert April

The deliniation of rights, though, limits the Concordance to TOS, TAS, and those works that directly relate to them, which means the first seven movies and those episodes from the spinoff shows that crossover or connect with TOS or TAS. So, we're pretty much stuck with either dealing with the original Enterprise or the refit.

You want more complete coverage, try the Encyclopedia. Mike and Denise Okuda will thank you. ;)

10. Captain Robert April

I think that fourth one has the advantage of being the same image that was on the cover of "The Making of Star Trek" for over forty years, so it has the innate familiarity, plus the implication of "this is the real deal, kids."

Of course, this whole exercise of using a photo for the cover might have to be dumped anyway, in favor of something fan drawn, maybe even something not readily identifiable as the Enterprise (a registered trademark of your friends at CBS/Paramount).

In any case, until the C&D comes down, let's have some fun...

11. Captain Robert April

Here are those links to the larger pics....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  12. Jamee999

Jamee999 Commander Red Shirt

Was bored, so I made this.

[​IMG]

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the best yet.

14. Captain Robert April

Put an outline around the insignia in the middle, and I think you've got something.

15. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

phew! With a thead title like: "A Little Something I'm Playing With... ", I was afraid to take a look!

I want to look closer at no. 6, but the link isn't working for me... arg.

16. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

While I still like number four, I like this one as well. The Enterprise is quickly recognizable, so the book is obviously a book about Star Trek. The command insignia is just about as recognizable as well, so it should do well in the "obviously Star Trek related" theme.

One suggestion - lower the insignia a smidge and raise the seals to be closer to the top of the insignia (although not matching the top) and have the top of the insignias line up (or reduce the size of the UFP insignia to make it match the Starfleet insignia).

17. Captain Robert April

Fixed.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  18. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

6... But only because I think the new star trek should be a stand alone series from the Original Star Trek universe. I'll stop now, lest I go on another bloody rant.

19. Captain Robert April

I'll certainly make that case should anyone bring up the idea of trying to include JJ's version.

Sorry, but absolutely nothing fits beyond the names of the characters.

20. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you going to use the "aged" effect for the text, I'd recommend either applying it to the rest of the book, use something far less prominent, or not using it at all.

Although the background images are grainy themselves, and using plain, digital text would look out of place, what you have now is almost laughable in comparison.

Try something a little less prominent.