DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't really call Action Comics a re-invention of Superman...more like a return of the Golden Age version for modern times.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the script was done before the GL movie bombed. Hal in the movie is kind of a dumb ass. Synergy gone bad?

3. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

True, true - although it's been a long, long time since Superman has had this kind of depiction!

4. Admiral_Young

^ That's true.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I got my issue of Action Comics #1 in the mail today -just picke up the mail about 30 minutes ago- and just got done reading it.

Not too bad I suppose. The artwork and dialogue all seems fine, sort of like the modern look its given everyone and everything. Some things aren't quite clear but I presume they'll bee cleared up when the arc is done. The biggest thing being Clark/Superman being able to change his appearance after fleeing the cops to when his landlady finds him on the roof.

Also, Lex Luthor trying to butch-up by sipping at an energy drink? Nice. ;)

Be interesting to see where this goes.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern #1 felt rather schematic and rushed - they really didn't need to push Hal's adjustment issues or Sinestro's plotting that quickly.

I wasn't planning on Superboy, but I think I'll give it a chance just because of Fairchilde. ;)

7. Admiral_Young

Superboy was fascinating. Caitlyn Fairchild and this new version of Connor...yeah I will be following this one.

8. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I feel like I'm the only one who got nothing from Animal Man. The story didn't really do anything for me, and I disliked the art.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes it's only you.

10. Admiral_Young

Nope. I didn't bother to pick it up. Not interested in the character.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How dumb? Justice League #1 dumb? Don't you dare tell me I must become a Green Lantern reader.

Oh, and as a global thing, but does anyone else feel like the art in a lot of these books has been rushed? Cases in point, Rags Morales on Action on Pete Woods on Legion Lost. Maybe the effect of the get-it-done-in-30-days-or-lose-your-job policy is sloppy art, or at least sloppy patches. It's possible that even if this is the case, we may only be in an adjustment period, however. Certainly there were artists who could get their pages in on time with no major loss of quality, once upon a time (although I still say going to a story-arc based system instead of an it-comes-out-whether-we-have-any-ideas-or-a-good-artist-or-not system would be to the benefit of everybody, reader, publisher, and talent).

12. Admiral_Young

Actually I thought Rags art on Action was better than most of his other work. Pete Woods I've never been much of a fan of...and yeah I'd say Justice League #1 dumb.

13. Myasishchev

Mostly Morales' Action work was mostly fine (I've seen one review [Gavok's on 4thLetter] use the phrase "Rags Morales eyes" which was funny; it also involved the phrase "Jae Lee School of Background Fog" referring to the artist of Batwing, which is hilarious), but that last sequence with the train was bad, and I liked him better on Identity Crisis.

Edit: I take back the train thing. On reviewing it, it's actually pretty okay. Tucker Stone pointed out how the soda can got progressively smaller as Lex drank it. I didn't notice that the first run through, but man, it's so true. Check it out.

Pete Woods I like a lot-a lot sometimes, but sometimes he just phones in it. Like, most of Legion Lost. Except for the half-page I posted, where he did some serious Goddamn sequential art. Then again, if that was the script I was handed, I might not care either.

I can sort of see why you might not like him. Sometimes his action scenes aren't very well blocked, and he's a little cartoonier than most. I think I may mainly like him because he drew the best Lois Lane in about twenty years.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Does he keep referring to himself in the third person? "Green Lantern's not going to let you do this Sinestro!"

He reminded me of "The Jimmy" from Seinfeld.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That was Pete Woods? I had no idea. I guess I should pay attention to the credits.

I did like Superboy. Lobell has never wowed me, but this was a pretty good take on the character. Fairchilde, eh? Never read Gen13 so I'll just take you guys word for it.

Suicide Squad and Deathstroke ( I almost wrote Terminator!!!!!!) were kinda of men. The tough guy, blood and guts thing just doesn't do anything for me these days.

Batwoman was good, love the art work especially the layouts. The story was okay. Not sure why Kate needs to treat Bette like a newb. She got have atleast as much experience as Kate. So, is Renee dead? Or was that an "Officer of the Month" display and not a memorial wall.

Batman and Robin was another good read. Though the bit about Batman's parents seemed to drag out a bit too long. Like Bette with Kate, Damian had to prove himself to Bruce, but it makes more sense here. Damien is a wild card.

Legion Lost was okay. Though being an old time fan it brought back memoried of the Karate Kid series from the 70s! and the more recent Timber Wolf series from 90s. I hope Yera and Gates aren't gone for good. Not enough alien aliens in the LSH.

16. Admiral_Young

Renee is the Question...

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yes, I know that. I was just wondering why her picture was on the wall and if she might have died when I wasn't looking.

18. Myasishchev

Nope. As far as I can tell, she lives, at least according to Wikipedia.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poor lady.

Just finished reading Suicide Squad, would have preferred Giffen taking another stab at the title but... Super grim, the perfect vehicle for Dead Shot to be an asshole psychopath within.

20. Admiral_Young

I'm surprised we didn't get a "The Question #1".