JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Definitely. All you need to know is an earthquake destroyed Gotham City and the US government decided to abandon the city and seal it off. NML is its own vast self contained story.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I second Mr. Light's statement, and would highly recommend Greg Rucka's novelization as well.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually read the Rucka novel and never read the comics until a year ago. The novel tells a very solid and coherent and, dare I say it, realistic, story. The actual comics are a little 90s-y and have a ton more characters in them.

I think that No Man's Land is the ultimate Batman story. I wish that Nolan had done it properly over two movies.

4. Admiral_Young

Nolan was only influenced by elements of "No Man's Land". There was never any intention of adapting the entire story therefore no need to do it "properly". He just lifted from it what he wanted to use in his story, nothing more.

Now what would have been awesome is James Tucker's proposed "No Man's Land" series. Too bad that didn't happen.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I picked up Dark Horse's Brain Boy #1 this past week and enjoyed it. He's an obscure Dell character that only had six issues published back in the 60's. He's a telekinetic and telepath that works for a private security firm who loans him out to the US Secret Service frequently. I found the first issue interesting enough to commit to the first arc.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it also a big influence on Arkham City?

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to recommend volume one of The First Kingdom by Jack Katz, out this week from Titan Books. It was originially published in 24 parts from 1974 to 1985. Titan is publishing it in six harcover collections with cleaned-up artwork and new lettering.

First Kingdom is a sprawiling tale of a post-apocalypse Earth, and mankind trying to reclaim the stars. The artwork and writing are both very dense and a real treat. The art reminds me a great deal of Hal Foster (Prince Valiant) or Alex Raymond (Flash Gordon). I remember a friend pointing this title out to me in a comic shop back around 1978 or so. It was black and white, and no one was wearing capes or tights, so I couldn't be bothered. I was wrong, Larry was right. A few years back I saw some of the artwork featured on a website, and I began kicking my own ass for having passed it over all those years ago. I am so glad that Titan has decided to put this into print again! I can't do this title justice, go look for your self!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished the third collection of Star Wars: Legacy, Claws of the Dragon, on Monday. I love that series, it's one of my favorite parts of the SW franchise, and this collection was awesom.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

After the way I hyped it up, I'm glad you liked it. There is an awesome fanboy moment in the next volume (issue 10 or 11 of the original run) that is among my favorites in the series.

A character that you will know joins Cade's crew.

ETA: Nevermind. Where you said third volume somehow I read first. So you already know about R2D2. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see that DC still advertises TPBs from the old 52, and I gotta wonder... "The balls on these people!"

11. Mysterion

Not understanding the issue here. Why shouldn't they still advertise/sell their older stuff?

12. Guy Gardener

imagine you're married to a beautiful and intelligent woman.

Then you fake her death, and commit her to a mental asylum so that you can marry someone half her age.

...But you still expect conjugal visits and foot rubs from your starter wife in the straight jacket.

(She has to use her feet to give you your foot rubs?)

13. Mysterion

Ummm...okay.

Just because the new stuff sucks, no reason to not still promote/enjoy the old stuff. Even more reason to, perhaps.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly, I'm planning on reading both New 52 books and old stuff.

Yeah, he was with Cade in the beginning.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a relaunched ongoing series of Legacy series featuring one of the Solos living in obscurity after the events of Cade's Adventures. One of the interesting comments I have seen is that the Imperial Knights are closer to the preconceived notions of the Jedi before the Prequels.

16. Admiral_Young

The first arc of the second volume has been interesting. A very slow start but now we're in the thick of things as the larger galaxy (especially the Empress) has become aware of Ania Solo.

17. Turtletrekker

I keep thinking that, if Jaina ends up marrying Jagged in the books, then Ania and the Empress should be family.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

DelRey and Dark Horse I think stopped talking to each other or at least weren't getting along because of the issues surrounding New Jedi Order so neither was going to coordinate that in depth with the other.

19. Turtletrekker

^ But they both have to go through someone at Lucasfilm, who would keep them coordinated whether they liked it or not. Star Wars fiction is not like Trek fiction in that regard.

20. Guy Gardener

I thought Star Wars continuity gave up trying to keep its stool together after the movies stopped making any sense?