Arrow - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aren't they calling him The Arrow?

It could be worse, they could call him The Green Blur! Ha!!!

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, they've been calling him The Arrow all season. He's not the hood or really even the Vigilante.

I think deciding what DC wants to do with their movie universe will decide whether Green Lantern shows up. But I'm enjoying the show enough as is that I don't see it at all as being necessary. When it's Green Arrow and Green Lantern, I always got the impression that Hal Jordan was the star and Oliver Queen the sidekick.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The last bit has been hinted at since the mid-finale when Slade promised to corrupt one of Ollie's people (suggested to be Felicity) but nothing came of it.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Someone's a bit behind.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well we're half way there.

Malcom has to come back as also "The Arrow"

And then they distinguish them as The Green Arrow and the Black Arrow.

(And Roy becomes Red Arrow. Red Arrow was a much better identity for him than Arsenal.)

6. Alidar Jarok

Kid can't shoot worth shit, he's going to be Arsenal for that reason alone.

7. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show often plays fast and loose with law and finance, and of course the writers can and will do what they want to drive the plot. That said, Ollie hasn't lost his fortune according to anything portrayed on screen.

Ollie owns/controls 50% of QC. He signed over the position of CEO to Isabel. This doesn't change the fact that he owns half the company. He has a substantial net worth, just probably limited income. Isabel can't destroy his net worth without bankrupting QC, and that hasn't been the plot.

Any actions that Isabel takes that are in bad faith or against the best interests of the shareholders would be subject to court action. All she can really do is not pay out dividends. This is probably what is hitting the Queen family at the moment.

They say they have to, or may have to, sell the mansion. The mansion must have incredible property tax, utilities, staff, etc. If there is no income from the company, then this might be possible.

The status of the Queen fortune is confusing, but it would likely conform to certain patterns. Moira would have inherited half of the fortune, and Ollie and Thea would split the remainder, or else Robert did something extremely weird with his will. You can't just cut your spouse out of your will and leave it all to your kid, and let's not get into Ollie having been legally dead. When Ollie returned, the ownership of the company and family fortune would have been redone, and Moira was happy to push Ollie into QC. Moira likely signed voting authority over to Ollie to account for dialogue early in the season when Isabel showed up and Ollie was said to own 50% after Walter helped him out.

Second, Ollie and Thea would have a trust fund, just like Tommy did in season 1, and would have independent income.

Third, Ollie would very likely have bought the derelict factory from QC in order to secure his privacy. The club is owned by him (IIRC Thea was only the manager) and would provide him with a steady income and secure base.

Fourth, Thea is heir to Merlin Industries, and this should be a plot point in season 3. Malcolm is known to be behind the destruction of the Glades and it is in his best interests to remain "dead."

Again, the writers will do what they want to drive the plot, but if QC is still a viable company, and we have no reason to believe otherwise, then the Queen fortune still exists. It just may not be liquid.

8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Thus he remains a playboy millionaire.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Merlin is a terrorist. All his assets would have been seized.

10. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Moira had a not so insignificant life insurance policy

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Except that as noted in last weeks episode, Isobel dilluted the value of Oliver's shares in QC to the point where they are next to worthless.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

yeap - Moira specifically said all they had was (I assume substantial) real-estate holdings.

13. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

And they tend not to be easy to convert quickly to cash. Plus if you try and liquidate them quickly the tendancy is to look a boat load of money.

So yeah Ollie's heading towards broke.

But wonder if The Verdant is in Olliver's name or part of the Queen Family real estate holdings.

Of course if Isabel doesn't return to QC Ollie could be back in the CEO's seat.

14. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, I don't think that technically makes sense, but it was stated that the 51% ownership was relatively meaningless now.

15. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

If she made his 51% worthless, then wouldn't her 49% also be worthless?

If she created a new company on the bones of the old company, then Ollie should receive new stock commensurate with the old value.

IIRC, a CEO that turns the value of their stock into ashes has failed his/her fiduciary responsibility to the company and its shareholders and can have him/her removed.

16. Alidar Jarok

Presumably yes.

Which is why the whole thing doesn't really make sense. Perhaps issuing non-voting stock so controlling share isn't diluted, but I don't even think that's necessarily allowable.

Well, it depends on whether they're protected by the Business Judgment rule. I think, given the conflict of interest, they might not be protected. It's also possible the decisions were without any justification, which would allow you to overcome that rule. Either way, though, that's not something that can be done the next day. It would have to be done at the next shareholder election or, perhaps, you could force it to happen through a derivative suit. Both would take time. I'm expecting her to die before the end of the season, which is a much quicker way to solve the same problem ;)

17. LaxScrutiny

Well, again, the writers will do what they need to drive the plot, but she can't just "dilute" Ollie's shares. She would have to dilute every share in the company. She would be able to issue new shares, which would bring in new investment in the company, or she could authorize bonds, etc. be converted into shares, which would reduce the company's liabilities.

Doing this to the point of driving the share value down to almost zero could not be done in a week or a month. I doubt it could be done in a year. It would require issuing shares at a fraction of their value, which would be all over the headlines.

While it is certainly possible that she brought criminal pressure onto the other executives, she could not keep what she was doing secret. QC is apparently publicly traded, which is how she got her foot in the door in the first place. The company has to be audited yearly, there has to be a public report, quarterly statements, etc.

18. Alidar Jarok

Well, I don't expect she wants her actions to be long-term, she just needs to bankrupt the Queens, not hold onto the company. I suppose she also wanted short-term revenue to fuel Mirakuru production as well.

19. LaxScrutiny

Exactly. I could see doing something to shut down Ollie's revenue, that is all they really need if they are planning to "win" within the next few weeks anyway. I just can't see wiping out the entire family fortune permanently.

20. Alidar Jarok

Wouldn't there be investors who want to get paid? Even though her actions might be unlawful, there are people who validly relied on them.