Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel revealed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

The only thing wrong with SR for me was the overall plot...a few changes and it would have been a better film. I had no problem with the casting even if some wouldn't have been my first choice. I didn't mind the look of the film.

2. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Sounds like a good story to me....

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait...Joe Kelly writes Smallville?

4. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, sounds really ... bad to me. Maybe the storyline would have been improved along the way, but it reads to me like a fanfic.

And I have to say, about halfway through SR I started actively rooting against Superman. I really wanted to see that annoying, whiny little emo stalker to get his ass handed to him. I couldn't believe that it was supposed to be a continuation of the magnificent portrayal of the character by Christopher Reeve.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing is the stuff with Brainiac feels kind of like left over plot attempts from the previous "Superman Lives" movie just retooled to fit in the "Superman Returns" world that Singer created. This plot sounds very much like what Warner Bros execs were wanting to do with the character. Remember one of the execs comments about wanting a "dark, angry Superman?" The tone of this plot would seem to reflect that comment. As much as it would be interesting to see Clark sacrifice his son in order to save the world (a similar thing happened at the conclusion of War of the Supermen where Clark had to let go of Chris Kent (Zod's son) whom he and Lois had adopted as their own back to the Phantom Zone and it was heartbroken. That was an example of how to do an emotional story without resorting to using dark overtones. I think Brian Peterson and Kelly Sounders would love this plot for being 'dark' and 'epic'!!!

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It's jsut the trend in movies these days. It's all a set up in the first film with the second film being balls to walls. Iron Man, Star Trek, Sherlock Holmes. The first movie of an expected franchise always holds back on the real goods till the next movie.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Iron Man 2 had only two action scenes in it :wtf:

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah...I saw the movie a number of times, and I don't get this attitude at all. I guess I'm too old to be threatened; he just seemed like a young guy to me.

9. Admiral_Young

How was Superman at all EMO in "Superman Returns"? I hate the phrase EMO tossed around as a term for emotional turmoil, just because a character is going through emotional turmoil doesn't mean he or she is EMO. Superman had returned from a five year hiatus in space searching for remnants of his home world (he had no idea that he was actually tricked by Luthor in this case) and was having difficultly dealing with all the change that had gone on during his absence.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So...the only thing wrong with it was...pretty much the whole story?

That's a polite way of saying it sucked.

11. the G-man

He's Superman. He's not supposed to be having difficulty dealing with change.

Furthermore, Singer couldn't have it both ways. He decided he wanted to do a sequel to Superman II. Okay, fair enough.

But Superman II ended with Superman, having tried to abandon his role as earth's protector [for personal reasons] and seeing the world almost destroyed, promising the president (standing in for pretty much everyone on earth) "I'll never leave you again." Cue the John Williams music.

So...what does Singer do for his sequel to the above film?

He has a backstory in which Superman almost immediately abandoned his role as earth's protector for personal reasons again!!!

And this time for five years.

Then, when he gets back, and sees Lois (who he abandoned after causing her to lose her memory [supposedly because of his job as earth's protector]) is in a mature relationship with a good man what does Superman--earth's greatest hero...a man who never thinks of himself but only of others--do?

Does he quickly realize that he abandoned her and accept she's moved on?

Does he immerse himself in his "work," trying to forget her by plunging head on into helping people (ie, what Superman does)?

No.

He uses his powers to spy on her and invade her privacy.

Basically, he acts like a cross between a petulant child and every "Superman is a dick" joke ever produced.

12. Admiral_Young

Superman leaving Earth thinking with HOPE that his world might still exist is not so far fetched and besides as I already stated that was part of a plot by Luthor to lure Superman away from the planet and it worked. As for Lois...I wouldn't go far as to lump her into a mature relationship with a good man so fast!!! Sure this must've been an attempt to move on from Superman who for his own personal reasons chose not to tell her why he was leaving but we all know that Lois was also rebounding and this is one of the reasons why she never fully committed to Richard...oh yeah and let's not forget that SHE LIED to Richard that he was the father of her child. She still had strong feelings for Superman. Clark obviously knew this or at least wanted to suspect this thus the spying. He was trying to come to a conclusion about their relationship and that was the only he decided to do it. Get over that already.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, plot is just one aspect of telling a story. To get textbook about it, the basic elements of story are plot, character, theme, and setting. There's also writing style, and in dramatic media there's performance style and production values. Some stories have weak plot but are captivating due to their characters, their use of words, their ideas. A film can have a mediocre plot yet still have scintillating dialogue, fine performances, superb production values, or all of the above. So criticizing a film's plot is not at all the same thing as saying the whole film was bad. It's just saying that the underlying structure of the story was flawed.

14. the G-man

Again, however, Singer's own conceit (that this was a direct sequel to S2 [and, therefore. S1]) contradicts that.

Superman knew that Krypton was destroyed. Jor-el showed him the destruction through the crystals. Jor-el also explained to him that Zod, et al, were from the Phantom Zone.

So, Luthor would have had to use a pretty damn good trick (though, of course, we weren't actually show what the trick was)(but that's a different problem).

Even if that was the case (I admit my memory of this part of the movie is vague at this point) none of that would be known Superman except for the fact he was stalking her. So, that's just more evidence of his being creepy [or at least not the Superman we expect] in the film.

Again, I don't remember her telling Richard the kid was his. I thought he knew she was a single mom and started dating her.

But I'll take your word for it that Richard thought the kid was his.

Two things about that, then.

First, it tends to indicate that she and Richard had been together for a long time. Again, that's a reason for Superman to back off, not a reason for him to start spying on her.

Second, getting back to Singer's whole "sequel to S2" setup, you can't hold that against Lois because, as noted above, Superman wiped her mind of their whole love affair. Which (again, as noted above) he did out of sense of duty to earth...the same earth he then turned around and abandoned.

Look, you asked why people had a particular view of the movie. When people give you the explanation you asked for, even if you disagree with their opinion, it's silly to get dismissive and demand they change their mind.

Why did you ask if you didn't want to discuss the issue?

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Singer never said it was a direct sequel. He said it was a loose sequel. Essentially, he picked and chose what he wanted to be consistent with the original movies. You can like that or lump it, but it means that it was quite reasonable for him to say that his Lex was all about the land and at the same time have Superman abandon earth for five years.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And that was a big part of my problem with the film. It was too half-hearted, stuck between paying homage and doing something new. It lacked a clear identity of its own. I'd rather have seen it commit wholeheartedly to creating a new, fresh take on Superman. That would've been a better tribute to Donner than just copying elements of Donner's films, because it would've instead been following in the footsteps of Donner's approach: reinventing Superman, bringing a fresh, modern take to it.

17. Admiral_Young

I thought we were discussing the issue which was how Superman was EMO? I still think it was completely justified within the logic of the film that Clark acted in the manner that he did. I am being dismissive of the notion of people who don't like that particular scene are so obsessive of it in their relating why they didn't like the movie. Just because "he's Superman" is not a valid reason for him to not be allowed to find it difficult to adapt to change...he was raised as a human too and still possesses human feelings. I was really responding to the use of the word EMO to describe his emotional state in the film.

18. the G-man

Obviously I can't speak for everybody but, for my money, Superman acting extremely out of character, moping around, feeling like no one earth understands him and stalking his ex is why people call him "emo."

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've never had a problem with that sort of approach. I've always taken it when viewing the Bond movies. My interepretation has always been that e.g. Pierce Brosnan's character took on Goldfinger but he didn't make jokes about The Beatles, he made jokes about Take That. He has a history that is vaguely like that of Connery Bond, Moore Bond or Lazenby Bond and Dalton Bond, but in my continuity, he never fought on a space station, a la Moonraker.

I have no problem taking a similar 'pick and choose' approach with Superman. Indeed, I find it hard to understand how those who read comics, with their ever changing continuity and backstory, can't approach movies with the same attitude.

20. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!

Wow. Now that outline sounds like it could've been a great movie. It has elements of Superman IV, yes, but also The Day the Earth Stood Still and Childhood's End. Also, we'd finally have a flick without Luthor! I hope some future Superman movie introduces Brainiac and maybe even, dare I say it Darkseid!