Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 3 2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn
Re: Quark?

I really like Quark! I meant no hate against him at all. I was just curious what the Federation officers use for currency.
Old April 3 2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Dale Sams
Captain

And Odo... well he's a bit of a fascist at times
*But*, keep in mind that SF...and Odo it seems, have incredibly advanced views on penal theory. Smuggling? 1 month in the brig.

As opposed to say 10 frigging years in a hellhole run by gangs.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
indolover
Fleet Captain

Well DS9 is not an exclusive military location. I guess since the wormhole was discovered the station became an open port operated by Starfleet and the Bajorans. So as there are a large number of civilians, it figures that Quark has a presence there.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 07:10 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

It's actually something of a miracle that no other business of note emerged aboard the station to compete with Quark on both honest customers and crime contacts!

As for Odo's leniency, his jurisdiction is limited to the station; he's not particularly liked elsewhere. He can't exactly enforce ten-year jail terms when he has no proper jail, and even forced labor sentences aboard the station would task his resources considerably. So he throws people in the cells to sober up, and if he thinks they deserve particularly severe punishment, he keeps them there a bit longer and visits them every day...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

The reason for Quark's presence is actually given in the pilot. Basically Quark is all ready to pack his things and go, reckoning the place has got a bit unstable - no good for profit! - and he's probably not going to be too popular with the new people in charge, seeing as he ran the establishment under the Cardassians.
It's Sisko who basically blackmails him into staying because he needs someone to show everybody that the station is worth remaining on. If the last shop closes, that sends the message that there really isn't a point.
The station is a total wreck when the Federation take it over since the Cardassians destroyed everything they could on departure (a little gesture of welcome), and people were leaving it like rats off a sinking ship. What better way to persuade them there's better days ahead than someone like Quark going, "well, you still might not have a proper mattress to sleep on, but come by and have a drink, and another drink, and there's fun to be had...!"

As for some of his shady activities being tolerated to an extent, Quark is usually sailing close to the wind in that he's hovering round the edges of outright crime as a third-man facilitator, and with Odo keeping such a hawk's eye on him, Quark is useful in leading security to some of the much bigger fish that are his associates. Quark's small fry, they can let him skim a bit here and there.

P.S. if holosuites had been invented, I wouldn't be out of there for HOURS on end! (grin)
Old April 5 2013, 08:30 PM   #21
Melakon
Vice Admiral

And Quark sometimes gave tips to Odo if some criminal activity offended his sensibilities. Though it was more likely to get rid of someone cutting into his own sidelines.
Old April 5 2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Yeah I was too new to the show when posting this. Just finished season 1 and its clear now lol. Awesome and amazing show! I'm really loving it.
Old April 5 2013, 11:57 PM   #23
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I really like Quark! I meant no hate against him at all. I was just curious what the Federation officers use for currency.
Been a while since i watched this so correct me if im wrong but in the TNG pilot Encounter at Farpoint its mentioned that starfleet personel can get credit to allow them to purchase stuff at alien markets. Presumably this means that starfleet keeps some currency around for dealing with alien races and when starfleet personel are on shoreleave or stationed in places like DS9 they can apply for credit and thus have currency to spend. Or they could amass currency another way by doing little jobs in their free time. This whole federation citizens dont need currency thing is actually brought up in a much later episode but i wont go into details since its your first time watching and i wouldnt want to spoil anything.

Btw if its your first time watching are you going to create a thread to post your thoughts about the episode and plot/character developments and discuss ti with others cause those are fun