TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Rate The Weight of Worlds.

1. Outstanding

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Greg Cox' new novel The Weight of Worlds (known for a while as The Twilight Realm) is about to beam down on March 26th and serves as the half-way mark of this year's TOS marathon. Sounds like there are significant Sulu and Uhura plots in store here, fans take note.

Blurb time:

Sadly there's no excerpt available yet, but feast your eyes on the fetching new design of Simon & Schuster's book pages, and then keep that link around in case a sampling of the text does pop up early next week.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I may vote outstanding just based on the cover art:)

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Waiting for it to ship...

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

To give credit where it's due, the art is by Alan Dingman.

And, yeah, I'm very happy with that cover art!

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This one sounds good.

6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Love the cover. It's icing on the cake.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

The cover art reminds me of the old Bantam reprint covers from the 80's, like "Devil's World".

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I really like the coverart.I'm definitely looking forward to reading this book when it comes out in 2 weeks.

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whilst it is a truism that you can't judge a book by it's cover, you can judge the cover. I love this cover. And I'm sure I'll love the book too, as Mr. Cox is one of my favorite Trek lit authors.

10. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not to be a contrarian, but something about the torso-to-head-to-hand proportions of Kirk kind of rubs me the wrong way ... I really like the rendering quality, but there's a slight uncanny valley effect from that.

11. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So nobody has read this yet? I bought it last week, I guess somebody messed up and put it out waaaay early. I was looking at this thread and wondering why nobody had commented on it yet, then I realized the release date wasn't for a few more days.

Good book. Another fine job by Greg Cox. And no, I will not give out any spoilers to anyone, since the book's not even supposed to be out yet. Buy yer own! lol ;)

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, it's not really "messing up," since there's no reason not to put the book on sale early if a store gets it early. Except for really big events like Harry Potter and such, there is no real release date for a print book, just a general range wherein it becomes available.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Except for super high-profile events like Harry Potter (or the occasional movie novelization), there are no coordinated release dates for books the way there are for movies or record albums. The books go on the shelves when somebody gets around to cracking open the boxes the delivery guys dropped off.

Glad you liked the book, Fremen! I'll be curious to hear what people think.

14. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i stopped by local B&N store, not out there yet. It still showed preorder in their system. So hopefully next weekend i'll have better luck.

15. E-DUB

Got it yesterday. Just finished it. Enjoyed it immensely. Loved seeing a certain someone in the command chair for once. Let me be the first to cite an extremely minor nitpick. I believe it has been established that JTK has only one nephew. If I'm wrong, I'll be sure to hear about it.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's ambiguous. "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" stated that George Samuel "Sam" Kirk had three sons. "Operation -- Annihilate!" later claimed that Peter Kirk was Captain Kirk's only surviving relative. Some fans have resolved the contradiction by assuming the other two nephews died sometime in the few months between those episodes, or that they died in the parasite attack but somehow went unmentioned. But several previous tie-ins have ignored the line from OA and depicted Kirk's three nephews. Bottom line, it's a continuity error and there's no consensus on how to resolve it.

17. E-DUB

I stand partially corrected.

18. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

One more day until this the book is avaliable on my kindle:)

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Awaiting notice of its mailing. ...

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

waiting for the book to come in the mail.