HEROES 3x06 "Dying of the Light" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 20, 2008.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

39.2%
  2. Above Average

39.2%
  3. Average

15.2%
  4. Below Average

5.1%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe there will be some heroes who didn't quite move up the evolutionary chain. Someone who can steal your dandruff and ear wax? Someone who can steal socks from your laundry load?

Maybe the Haitian is a Peterelli too. :p

2. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

I am thinking that Arthur Petrelli's power is to swipe a special's power, but with his sons he can wipe clean the powers they have duplicated, leaving them only with the ability to duplicate new powers (or the same ones over). So while Peter is effectively powerless, he can gain new powers from other specials he gets near when his father isn't around to prevent him.

Also, this is what happened to Sylar at the end of season 1 and why he only still carries the telekinesis (Arthur let him keep that one since he liked it so much, he IS his son after all). After being disappointed that his unwitting power collector Sylar failed to get the regeneration he was supposed to go after (a subconscious hypnotic command from the elder Parkman), his father gave him the Shanti virus and sent him to the middle of Mexico to be used later.

Then Arthur just got tired of waiting to be healed. He had a shot at Adam Monroe, took it, and since Adam wasn't one of Petrelli's sons who amass multiple powers Petrelli took all of the only power Adam did have. And that power was the only thing keeping Adam alive and young, so he made like Walter Donovan at the end of Indiana Jones 3.

And then his other power collecting son shows up all flush with power...

I think Arthur Petrelli just walked into future Peter's trap. His dad always takes his power, but not how he takes the power in the first place. And the same with Sylar. So future Peter intercepts his past self before he encounters his father, and gets his younger self to duplicate Sylar's power absorbing ability. So that when his father does take his abilities, he gets Sylar's too. And he gets Sylar's hunger as well. They have put a chink in the man's armor.

Arthur Petrelli being a power "vampire" also sheds some light on the reasons why he is behind the serum to make normals into specials. He is making himself some dinner.

This plot has taken a nice turn towards the diabolical and I like it.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

My vote Average and only the "death" of Adam boosted it to that level. The way this show operates I expect a time travel stunt to bring Adam back somehow, someway.

Based on the deevolving character depth and lack of really good development on other fronts I agree. The turtle is quickly becoming a favorite.
    Sadly, the thoughts of what he could be doing for his personal pleasure occured to me as well.

Yes, which is just one reason the show tetters on the cusp of suckage week-in-week-out this season.

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Does Arthur Petrelli now have Peter's absorbing power? If so, I guess that means he no longer has to physically take another person's power via touch (unless he wants to remove that person's power entirely).

5. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Off beat thought I had at the start: should Mohinder - the flaking Insect Man with victims stuck all about his work space like old wads of gum - still be the soothing narrating voice of reason and humanity?

Nit: Once again Claire reads a file, determines the villain has immense powers and grabs a Taser. Granted, its probably the only weapon she can lay her hands on, but next time out she needs a better plan. And a better acting coach, but that's a different subject.

A powered down Peter is a good idea. A character that powerful is difficult to move the story around in a sensible way as he should be the ultimate problem solver. Does Dad, after the abilities swipe, now have Gabriel's "hunger" as well?

And Gabriel ... my, my he's such a sensitive lad. And quite suddenly too. Why it seemed only yesterday he was a psychopathic killer.

Hiro's attempts to capture the precog, while unquestionably silly, amused me. And it conveyed the important story idea that he needs to use his head instead of the time travel, story killing, quick fix.

Daphne is growing on me. And I was surprised at how well the Parkman, Daphne, and Turtle scenes worked. I was skeptical of their future marriage a few episodes ago; now I see enough chemistry that it makes more sense.

Average.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that some of you not only got it, but got it almost dead on. I seriously need YOUR powers.

The only thing that didn't work was how Hiro could freeze time, teleport and come back without Daphne, Ando and the other guy noticing. Wouldn't Hiro have been in a slightly different position when he returned? That's something that should have been noticeable. The others should have seen a slight blip or shift at which point they should have also figured out that Hiro was up to something.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I gave it a Below Average.

Lately, I've been giving it Average based on what else is out there, but this week, I decided to vote based on what it HAD been in the past, to judge it on the quality that it once showed.

Personally, I'm a little tired of:

Nikki/Tracey/Whatever demonstrating her power to a disbelieving person. We've seen it THREE TIMES...we GET IT...she can FREEZE THINGS.

Sylar...what the fuck. Was an interesting scary character...now he suddenly desires to be a Hero...in fact, that's what they prologue called him, he's all concerned with Mama? He BELIEVED her right away? Sylar was smart...now...he's a freakin idiot...it must run in the Petrelli family.

This episode felt like a bad pilot...with Daphne meeting everyone and explaining everyone's powers...we KNOW what these people do...can we please move the story along?

Hiro's stabbing Ando...like everyone else, saw it. The show used to be surprising...now...predictiable.

It's always been slightly soapish...but now it's full on...Sylar: I can't let you go, BROTHER. Peter: You don't KNOW ME, don't call me BROTHER, you're not my family. Sylar: Oh, yes I am! Ugh. UGH!

Claire. Ugh. I guess when Sylar cracked open her head he also removed her experience of Season 1 and 2 because we're now back to the same stupid relationship with Noah. It's one of the few things I liked in Season 2 was their development.

And finally...everyone has a frickin' power. Everyone. So, why is is SO hard for the Villians to get together. We're more than half way through this volume and the Villians still haven't done anything.

Doctor Doom would be very dissatisfied with these clowns.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Average. Anyone who knows my opinion on Smallville will know how I feel about stories about superheroes where the only way to tell the story is to take their powers away.

9. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

I don't appreciate shows that insult my intelligence. The lame-ass setup of Hiro seemingly fooling everybody is the single most insulting moment in television I have seen in the last 20 years. I'm glad I moved this show to "watch when nothing else is on" several episodes ago...

10. A Clockwork Lim

A Clockwork Lim Lieutenant Commander

What I don't get is why there wasn't any feedback with Arthur feeding from Peter. He was actively using his power, they were both in physical contact with one another, and there was definition emotions involved. Peter should have had Arthur's power the moment Arthurt started feeding, thus causing Peter to absorb his power while Arthur absorbed Peter's while Peter absor... ie, the Peter Parkman effect.

Oh well.

11. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

last week's show, they had Nathan doing the narrating... I thought they were going to stop using Mo too.

12. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Funny you should mention that...

Above average this week. Another great twist and a welcome change of pace. The Russian roulette scene was far too obvious for my liking, but the rest was gold.

13. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

^ As did I. I was disappointed to hear Mo again this week.

And I, for one, am loving how the season is progressing. For the first time in ages, Hiro's silliness did not annoy me. The solution to the puppetmaster was very good, and I don't have the problem so many of you do with Hayden's acting. Arthur killing Adam, my jaw dropped, and then when Arthur pulled all Peter's powers out of him, the lightbulb went on. I was really afraid it would kill Peter, but when it didn't, I realized that taking Adam's power away WOULD kill him.

I like Sylar's arc just fine, except the boy needs to either be in prison or a psycho ward for all the people he's killed, I don't care if he's special or repentant or whatever. I'm bored with Nathan and Tracy, and disgusted by Mohinder, but there are always a couple characters I dislike. So far, they're not ruining the show for me. And hey, Mo made Maya go away for a whole episode, which is a redeeming factor.

I'm enjoying this season as much as I enjoyed the first season. :techman:

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Consistently in the powers? How DARE you suggest that? That would require MUCH more than these writers are willing to give.

I also have to say...this show is no longer must watch, it's now when I get to the DVR...

Edited to add: My fear is that this is quickly becoming the next Alias...a brilliant first season and then a drop and a drop and a drop in quality.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^Well, I'm pretty sure that even if Peter took Daddy's powers, Daddy would have yanked them right back in the same instant.

16. cyph

cyph Captain Captain

Interesting, but I doubt it, because if this is the case then Peter should still be able to use his powers, since he's in the proximity of his dad who has HIS powers...

17. Agent Richard07

^ I thought Peter's power was taken away completely, meaning he can't even absorb new powers. I think he'll have to take the serum to get his power back. If that's the case, I wonder if he'll end up with the same absorbing power he had from the beginning or if he'll get something new.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I hate this whole idea. I've had enough of Smallville doing it without this show doing it too.

19. Agent Richard07

^ On Heroes though, it feels a little more serious, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

20. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I can only disagree...ADAM, to me, is one of the biggest questions on that show. If he really is from the past, and hundreds of years ago, then were there others back there too? How old is he? If he isn't really from the past, how did he really get back there before Hiro arrived?

Adam is hard to explain, IMO

Rob