Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed that too. What if Picard calls for warp power? And the warp core appears to not need a shutdown sequence or restart? So in Star Trek Into Darkness (but not ST'09 oddly), the ship loses power when the warp core goes out. So in TNG, if the warp core only powers the warp engines, then what powers the rest of the ship?

Another plot hole is in The Drumhead. The warp core is out of service, yet the nacelles are glowing at the start.

2. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is odd because in TOS when the warp engines were offline, power was generated using auxillary power or the impulse engines. In Trek 09 they ejected the bottles, in Into Darkness the computer shutdown the core because of a fault and then at the end it was shut down because of damage so we didn't get to see either a start up or shutdown the normal way. It was kind of weird in into darkness that the ship couldnt get power from the impulse engines unless they were destroyed.

I think there have been several episodes of TNG where the core just gets shut off like in Relics when Scotty pulls the crystal assembly.

-Chris

3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

They do have somebody like that. Everyone working on the project has access to the master files on CBS-Digital's server. The Okudas are looking at them as they're completed, so are Roger Lay, Jr. and Robert Meyer Burnett. And still things slip through. It's inevitable. One more schlub like me isn't going to help. You need tens of thousands of trained eyes and ears watching and listening to be 99.99% certain you've caught all the potential errors.

You're suggestion is very kind, but I am not infallible. No one single person is. Ten aren't. A hundred aren't. Even a thousand. Make that number ten thousand, or a hundred thousand... now you're cooking! :)

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Another point is: do we really need to split hairs and find all the minor imperfections in the first place?

RAMA

5. Maxwell Everett

Well, I suppose it depends on how much you care about the final product. Do you want the episodes to look and sound the best they can? Do you want there to be errors that didn't exist on the DVDs? You just wrote in the S5 thread that you want ships replaced in Unification because you didn't like how they looked originally.

How many hoops do you want CBS-Digital to jump through, RAMA? You're splitting hairs and finding all the minor imperfections! ;)

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I care insomuch as there are no matte lines, and nothing impairs my viewing..if I'm looking for mistakes then I'm not enjoying the clarity, color correction, and overall story.

The Vulcans ships were badly filmed, and are not consistent with Enterprise, I wouldn't mind a change, though I know it won't happen. I always said I felt that correcting something they didn't originally have time for or was planned and unable to be executed were within the purview of the restoration.

7. Maxwell Everett

Let me ask you this: do you believe CBS made a mistake by replacing discs in S1?

8. cbspock

The 4 footer in Nth Degree looked really good in the over the saucer shots

-Chris

9. cbspock

I don't know what all the bitching is about but I really think the restoration of TNG has been well executed. The episodes look fantastic and faithful to the way it looked in the 80s of course now with better clarity, color, etc. This wasn't a redo like they did for the original series because the original elements didn't exist for the effects shots.

After all these years we should be used to Star Trek fans who could suck the fun out of any star trek project.

-Chris

10. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

I think it's a shame that mistakes do slip through, but we should cut CBS (and their partners) a little slack. They're reproducing the entire show almost from scratch (short of reshooting/rerecording the raw film/audio stems), and in a very tight schedule. Look at the broadcast episodes and how many production errors got in there! The only reason it sticks out here is because we have a baseline reference (i.e. the broadcast versions) to compare to.

It's a TV show. That we're getting it remastered is nothing short of incredible. I'll take 99% faithfulness to the original over having 0% any day!

However, the one thing we shouldn't stop doing is making CBS aware either directly or indirectly of these errors - because, as others have said, CBS needs to keep the standard as high as possible, so that higher degrees of mistakes don't slip into the remaining seasons.

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Uh, question. And I apologize if this has been brought up already. In "The Best of Both Worlds Part 2", wasn't there supposed to be a "fade in" effect to the episode after "And now the conclusion"? The shot of Locutus just pops up there.

12. cbspock

I agree they have been pretty flawless in their ability to reproduce the episodes for a second time under the constraints they are working under and in the process tweaking some of the effects when possible like planets but staying true to the original effects intent. It is just amazing they even had the footage to even do this project. This is unheard of for a tv series to go through this, studios just don't want to make the investment to undertake a project like this.

I would rather have this effort in preserving the originals than what Lucasfilm did with the Star Wars films where he pissed all over the original theatrical cuts he didn't even preserve them for historical purposes. We all know Han shot first, but his change, changed the character. We aren't getting that type of treatment from CBS Digital. They want to preserve all the blood, sweat and tears that went into making TNG the first time. They even did it with the original series, that is why the CGI Enterprise looks like a model in some cases. Can't have a CGI Enterprise in the style of Galactica when they beam down to sets of styrofoam rocks.

-Chris

13. cbspock

Jut watched Qpid. Love this episode. I remember seeing it the first time at one of the ICON convention at Stony Brook university when they debuted it there, before it was on television. It was really cool seeing it with an audience.

-Chris

14. jimbotron

Yeah, minor change there. Later on in Redemption, the shot of Sela doesn't freeze-frame. The shot continues, and then fades to the credits.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Kind of a happy error if you ask me. Freeze frames are pretty cheesy.

16. Maxwell Everett

Season 4 made it to a respectable #7 on the Blu-ray sales charts for the week ending August 4th, selling approximately 2 units for every 100 units of G.I. Joe: Retaliation which was the #1 seller (and the big new release that week). The Redemption disc made it to #16, selling about 1.3 units for every 100 of G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Because S4 made it into the top 10, which hasn't been the case since S1, we should be able to see what it made when the-numbers.com publishes their top 10 figures with actual $ amounts. We'll also be able to infer how much the Redemption disc made by looking at the units sold figures for G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

http://homemediamagazine.com/top-sellers/top-20-selling-blu-ray-discs-week-ended-080413

17. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Looking back on Season 3, which only made it to number 15 on the list, it sold 6.6 units for every hundred copies of Silver Linings Playbook. Roughly 3 times as many units as Season 4. I'll be curious to see how Season 5 does since it's a CBS-Digital season.

18. Maxwell Everett

Well, it all hinges on how many units the #1 title sold. It's very likely that G.I. Joe: Retaliation sold more units than Silver Linings Playbook did in their respective weeks. As I said, we just sort of have to wait for the final dollar amounts from the-numbers.com. So, just keep your eyes on that link over the next several days. :)

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Why would someone buy S3 and ignore the rest of TNG?

I see two groups of TNG Blu-Ray buyers.

Those that will be buying S1-S7, and those that will be waiting for the "good" seasons and only get S3-S7.

20. jimbotron

There are also apparently the fans who refuse to buy seasons 2 and 4.