Quick question about social media

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kooz, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey folks, if anyone is willing to help me out, I’d appreciate 1 1/2 minutes of your time to fill out this very brief survey about social media usage? Thanks in advance!

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I looked at the survey, but I don't use any of those listed. My only social media online is forum sites.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Kooz, I'd be more inclined to fill it out if I knew why you were asking.

4. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

I 2nd this. Why do you need this, what is this for??

:vulcan:

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

good question. That questionnaire seems comperatively harmless, though. One negative point: it lists a lot of sites few people use and leaves out very popular ones. Message boards and instant messengers (other than skype) ought to be on the list as well as they are also a form of social media, only with different looks.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Personally, I wouldn't count messenger systems like Skype as "social media."

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I thought including Skype was kind of weird. Of course, I also think that asking us to do this and then not checking in to answer any questions is kind of weird, so……..

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the history of "please take this short survey" threads no one has ever come back and 'splained why.

9. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Uni assignment

Thesis

Market research

Take your pick

10. rhubarbodendron

I PMed him, asking him to come here and answer the questions. I'm curious if he'll really drop by. It'd be a nice change from the usual

11. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in checking back--things picked up at work, and yada yada yada...

@Rhubarbodendrom: Thanks for PMing me and reminding me to check in here. Message Boards and IMs aren't on the list because while FB or Twitter are a single entity, IMs or Boards are amde up of dozens or thousands (respectively) different sites.

@Tora Ziyal and Shatinator: Just taking a general survey to get a sense of what social media people in which age brackets are most likely to use, and see if I can track generally over recent time what is trending and what isn't. No commercial reason. If you are super-concerned about giving someone this data or you think somehow that this is too much info, don't take it--it's a totally self-selected survey.

@Dimesdan: I agree, and wouldn't include Skype were I to do this again.

@Tora Ziyal and teacake: Sorry I didn't check back in sooner. But teacake, can't paint everyone with that brush anymore.

@Collingwood Nick: None of those, but all would be legit reasons for this. Hopefully you guys are willing to contribute your info.

I'll be happy to share the results if anyone cares to see them.

12. rhubarbodendron

From the point of view of a TechAdmin I disagree with you on the question of boards. Like Facebook or twitter, a board is a fixed website where people from all over the globe can make an entry. Basically, there's no difference between a facebook or twitter page and a thread on a board:
    Someone says something and others reply to it. The whole discussion is displeyed on one single page. Many of such conversations are going on simultaneousely on the very same website.
    Technically it's precisely the same.

Particularly in the lounges on this board which are restricted only to members of a certain rank there is far more social interaction going on than on many social media. I can only speak for myself but in teh course of the last 12years I have met quite a number of people on message boards who have become my real life friends. If you have a look at my profile and the friends list there, about 3/4 of the listed persons are RL friends of me. My old buddies Santaman and Jim Gamma are closer to me than my genetical brother.

I believe most of us oldtimers ahve made similar experiences.
    Chats usually come as a secondary level: you meet people on a board, PM with them, exchange emails, meet on instant messengers or in chatrooms, then you meet in real life.
    I don't think that more than 5% meet for the first time in chats or on instant messengers.

The online social life parallels the real one:
    IRL you meet people at concerts, in movies or at museums etc. - in short, at places of a common interest. You get into a conversation, find you like them, you continue by meeting in a pub or cafe, exchanging phone numbers and perhaps finally developing a friendship.
    Getting to know a person by a telephone call (the equivalent to an IM) is rare, though I know of a case where someone who dialled the wrong number made friends with the person he called accidentially.