Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

Indeed, that was DS9's crowning achievement - superb supporting characters that breathed such life and depth into the story over its 7 year span. By the end of Voyager you couldn't help but feel like the characters were barely any different from where they started. Well, except Paris and Torres had a baby, Seven Of Nine replaced Kes, and Janeway got a new hairdo.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I wasn't really having a go at you, of course. Just having fun with the fact that the guy you accidentally named also had more growth than Harry. :)

3. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Oh, I knew you weren't having a go at me. I thought your response nailed it.

That is another reason why I think it's a wonderful series. When you get down to it, it's not just the minor characters who get more screen time and development than any other supporting characters from the series, it's also the non-human characters who get the screen time and development. Deep Space Nine is truly the most "alien" series of the franchise. It actually had stories that didn't even involve the humans characters.

Odo, Kira, Quark, Dax, Garrak, Rom, Nog, Dukat, Worf and even the background character who doesn't shut up, Morn all get their own stories told through their perspectives. For example, if we were on TOS or TNG, we would learn about the different alien cultures from the perspective of the human characters. That was the way Gene wanted Star Trek (DC Fontana even quoted him saying "If we're not doing a story about humans, what's the point?") In DS9 when we have a story involving the Ferengi culture, we learn about it through the perspective of the Ferengi characters! Having these different races and cultures tell their own story really does a lot in broadening the scope of the Star Trek universe.

Now I'm not bringing up these points to argue why DS9 is good and TNG/TOS is bad. I wouldn't have Deep Space Nine if it didn't have TOS or TNG. I just like how Star Trek was willing to give it's non-human characters the ability to take the center stage in shaping the universe they inhabit.

Gah, I can't wait to see Deep Space Nine in High Definition in Season Six.

4. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A shame there's only two commentaries, but those are probably the best episodes to hear about - especially hearing from Rob Bowman about his "return" to TNG. I think the story went that he was let go during season 2, but when it came to doing the splitscreen effects for Data/Lore/Soong, Bowman was the best man for the job, so Berman had to hire him back for one more episode.

I figured season 4 would have been a great time to address the change in composers. Ron Jones was fired after scoring The Drumhead. I trust there will eventually be a section of the bonus features dedicated to Ron Jones, Jay Chattaway, Dennis McCarthy, and the guest composers.

HD deleted scenes for 8 episodes? Great news.

6. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

TrekCore's interview with Roger Lay addressed the composers issue - that's something they're trying to put together for a later release.

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the subject of the standalone releases, has CBS said that we'd get one release per season, or is that just an assumption on our part? Is there a likelihood that they'll just end up doing standalone releases for all the 2-parters?

8. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

There's no way the release schedule would support more than one per season.

9. Angel4576

Wondered whether they could stretch to two per season, but completely forgot that season 6 would have three two-parters, which would seem highly unlikely.

Ah well. I imagine we'll be getting "Unification" as that would seem to yield better extras opportunities than "Time's Arrow", and then "Chain of Command" and "All Good Things".

10. jimbotron

And I couldn't imagine them coming up with any decent bonus features for Birthright and Gambit. I'm sure if asked, no one involved would remember them. :lol:

11. Angel4576

I suppose with Birthright you could do something around DS9, but the second part was meh, and Gambit, well yeah, can't really see what they'd do with that!

12. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

I really do not think so - the reason is simply the standalone releases are there for buyers to double dip. They are using marketing opportunity and preparing a release for people who do not want to wait another few months for 2nd part of the 2-parter.

Releasing 2 episodes, which are already both on the season set does not make so much sense, despite there still would be a small audience of random buyers or casual fans not wanting full season set.

13. Angel4576

I'm sure there's an element of that yes. I also think that a larger likelihood is that they're issuing the standalones as a means to showcase the remastering efforts to the more casual viewer who's more inclined to pick up the better known episodes than full season boxsets.

My first thought was that they'd do the season spanning 2-parters, but thus far, we've had BOBW and Redemption because there are no other 2-parters in those seasons. Season 5 onwards we get numerous. Unification is an 'event' story, the scope for additional content is greater than it would be for Time's Arrow, and as long as the content is exclusive, as the BOBW content was, and the Redemption content will be, then completists will still have their reason for double-dipping.

IMO. ;)

14. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think it's a good idea to do stand alone release. Most people don't want to invest in the season sets but I know a few people who've picked up Best of Both Worlds. It's just annoying when the standalone releases get exclusive extras. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a standalone "Unification" release seeing as they'll be able to stick Leonard Nimoy on the cover to attract the people who've only seen the Abrams movies. It'll be interesting to see what they do with extras and now they justify them seeing as both parts will be on the season 5 set.

15. jimbotron

One nice positive of Birthright is that we get a glimpse of DS9 in HD, both the model and the sets. They will have to pull the establishing shot from Emissary of the Enterprise docked from the DS9 archives.

As that's a season 6 episode, they'll be working on that early next year. Perhaps DS9 HD will already be announced by then.

16. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A quick update.

The single-disc Redemption Blu-ray has not been picked up in the UK or other European territories, so fans wanting a copy will have to head to Amazon.com and import: http://amzn.to/YjPHJf

The picture in Germany is not entirely clear. Paramount Germany put out a limited "Best of Both Worlds" release only in supermarkets, so they may do something similar for "Redemption", but I know of no plans right now.

17. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

How about Australia?? Any chances of a release there? It's infurtatingly unfair if not as chances are that the US release is not region free meaning that for no good reason we miss out on a number of special features. :(

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

All of the Trek Blu-rays are region free. You'll be fine to import if need be.

19. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Hmmmm....not wanting to doubt you, but the Redemption bluray is listed as "Region A/1". Going by Amazon that restricts it to use in America and Bermuda whereas places like Australia and the UK are Region B.

Can anyone clarify??

20. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have any idea how these blu rays are selling btw?