TCM Genre movies schedule...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Belated schedule update: Not sure how I missed this on the April schedule (maybe they changed it again), but tonight they're doing a fairy-tale theme:

SAT 4/26-SUN 4/27
    8:00 PM: Beauty and the Beast ('46): The Jean Cocteau version.
    10:00 PM: The Glass Slipper ('55): Cinderella musical with Leslie Caron and Keenan Wynn.
    Midnight: Hans Christian Andersen ('52): Danny Kaye musical telling a completely fictitious version of Andersen's life. Notable for songs like "The Inch Worm."

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's a great schedule for May. There are several things on there that I've never seen before.

So you can't export from DVR, huh? That sucks.

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

No Roddy McDowell in the latter, but some of his best work in the former.

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apropos of nothing, but the Sony Movie Channel is running Harryhausen films all day today (Sat., May 3) more or less in chronological order. Strangely enough, it'll conclude with "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" rather than "Clash of the Titans", Ray's last film. Maybe Sony doesn't have the rights to air that one.

Sony will also broadcast Harryhausen material on Wednesdays at 8 PM all month.

Sincerely,

Bill

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^
    Yep - a little miffed though that they didn't include one of my old RH favorites - "Earth VS The Flying Saucers" in the selection they showed on 5/3/2014.

6. RJDiogenes

I never heard of the Sony Movie Channel. I don't think Comcast carries it.

7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may be exclusive to DirecTV; I'm not sure.

Sincerely,

Bill

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I know Charter doesn't carry it... :(

9. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Movie_Channel

There's also an MGM Channel. And a Universal HD channel.

10. RJDiogenes

Everywhere but Comcast, apparently.

Ah, well, I'm still waiting for them to add the Chiller Channel.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I've got Charter--worst cable company out there.

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think cable companies are like Churchill's quote about democracy... they're all the worst except for all the others.

13. RJDiogenes

Comcast is last among equals.

I watched UFO yesterday (well, most of it) and it was hilarious. The invocation of the name Jack Webb was prophetic, because it was very Dragnet-like in style-- except that the acting was not as passionate. :rommie:

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

June schedule:

SUN 6/1
    5:50 AM: Duck and Cover ('51): Not exactly genre, but this 9-minute short sounds so insane I have to mention it: "In this short film, a monkey's prank on a turtle demonstrates how to survive a nuclear attack."

MON 6/2
    2:00 AM: Nine Days of One Year ('62): Also not exactly SF, but science-oriented and interesting -- a Soviet-made film about a love triangle among nuclear researchers, one of whom has been exposed to dangerous levels of radiation. It's been compared to On the Beach and Fail Safe, evidently more for its theme than its plot.
    4:00 AM: Panic in Year Zero! ('62): Ray Milland directs and stars in a low-budget film about a vacationing family trying to survive in the nuclear apocalypse.

TUE 6/3 - WED 6/4: Space marathon:
    8:00 PM: 2001: A Space Odyssey ('68)
    10:45 PM: Alien ('79)
    1:00 AM: Destination Moon ('50): Seminal man-into-space film with contributions from George Pal, Robert Heinlein, Chesley Bonestell, and Woody Woodpecker!
    2:30 AM: Marooned ('69): The sixties' answer to Gravity.
    4:45 AM: Queen of Outer Space ('58): Archetypal space-Amazons movie with Zsa Zsa Gabor. One of these things is not like the others...

WED 6/4: Start of an Ursula Andress marathon:
    8:00 PM: She ('65)
    10:00 PM: Clash of the Titans ('81), in which Andress has a fairly small supporting role.

SAT 6/7
    3:30 PM: Sleeper ('73): Woody Allen cryogenic comedy.

SUN 6/8
    8:00 PM: The Incredible Mr. Limpet ('64) yet again

MON 6/9
    12:30 AM: The Wizard of Oz ('25): One of the many silent versions.
    7:30 AM: The Thief of Baghdad ('24): Silent version with Douglas Fairbanks.

FRI 6/13
    4:45 PM: 13 Ghosts ('60): Part of a marathon of six films with "13" in the title. (What, they couldn't find another seven?)

MON 6/16
    5:30 PM: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ('68)

TUE 6/17
    3:45 AM: Hands of the Ripper ('71): Not SF/supernatural, but a Hammer horror film about Jack the Ripper's daughter (I guess that counts as speculative).

THU 6/19
    2:45 AM: It Happened Tomorrow ('44): Newspaper headlines predict the future. Will it be more like Early Edition or The Twilight Zone's "Printer's Devil"?

SAT 6/21
    10:30 AM: Topper ('37): Ghost comedy.

SUN 6/22
    8:00 PM: Godzilla, King of the Monsters! ('56): Dang it, when are they going to show Gojira in Japanese again?
    9:45 PM: Mighty Joe Young ('49): Harryhausen's big ape.
    Midnight: The Mark of Zorro ('20): Not quite genre, but arguably the first superhero movie, with Douglas Fairbanks.

MON 6/23: It's Satan day!
    7:15 AM: Haxan ('22): Silent film about the "history of the occult."
    9:15 AM: Inflation ('42): Short in which the Devil and Hitler screw up the US economy.
    9:45 AM: The Devil With Hitler ('42): But in this 2-reeler short, Satan and Hitler are rivals for the same job.
    10:45 AM: The Seventh Victim ('43): Satanic-cult movie.
    Noon: Cabin in the Sky ('43): African-American musical based on Faust.
    1:45 PM: Angel on My Shoulder ('46): Claude Rains as the Devil, making a deal with gangster Paul Muni.
    3:30 PM: The Story of Mankind ('57): Irwin Allen's ill-advised epic about Satan (Vincent Price) putting humanity on trial.
    5:15 PM: The Devil's Bride ('68): AKA The Devil Rides Out, Richard Matheson-penned Hammer horror with Christopher Lee.

WED 6/25
    3:00 AM: The Ghost Train ('41): Haunted railway station.

FRI 6/27
    12:30 AM: Pretty Maids All In a Row ('71): Heads up, Trekkies! This is the only non-Trek film written and produced by Gene Roddenberry, a Roger Vadim-directed dark sex comedy with Rock Hudson, Angie Dickinson, and Telly Savalas. I've been curious about this one for ages, although I gather it's not very good.

SAT 6/28
    10:30 AM: Topper Takes a Trip ('39): Ghost comedy sequel.
    1:45 PM: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang again again.
    4:15 PM: Five Million Years to Earth ('68): Feature version of Quatermass and the Pit.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks again for posting this. Hands of the Ripper is one of the few Hammer horrors I've never seen. I'll have to be sure to catch that . . . and the Roddenberry movie, of course, which I've also never seen.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a shame they aren't showing The 10th Victim on Ursula Andress day. I've been dying to see that again, haven't seen it since I was a kid.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hands of the Ripper is...ok. its not great, but certainly not terrible. though it has been a while since i last watched it.

18. RJDiogenes

I don't think I've even heard of Hands of the Ripper. I've got to see that one. I don't think I'm familiar with Ghost Train, either.

I've got Haxan on DVD, and it's very good. I think I've got the silent Wizard of Oz, too. I know I've got some silent Oz films that were actually produced by Baum, but I'm not sure if the DVD includes the 1925 version, which was produced by his son.

And I've got to see Pretty Maids All In A Row. :rommie:

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I have the 70th Anniversary 3-disc blu-ray set which includes the following...

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)
    His Majesty, The Scarecrow (1914)
    The Magic Cloak of Oz (1914)
    The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1914)
    The Wizard of Oz (1925)
    The Wizard of Oz (1933)
    The Dreamer of Oz (1990)

That last one is the TV movie about L. Frank Baum, starring John Ritter.

I'm sure you can find the set on amazon.com, but hurry, I think they're out of print.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And scripted by Richard Matheson . . ..