CGI goddess RAPUNZEL from TANGLED appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially these days when most "real" magazine photos have been more than a little manipulated in Photoshop.

As for me I didn't really find Rapunzel so lustworthy maybe because they really sold her as a sweet young girl. I thought it was a pretty good film, one I actually enjoyed watching with my niece, not just someting you tolerated for the kids.

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's kind of why I find this disturbing.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Oh, come on. Admiring beauty is not equivalent to lust or sexual possessiveness. Especially when it's the beauty of a cartoon character with no physical existence.

Although I don't agree that they portrayed Rapunzel as a "sweet young girl." The film was set mostly on her 18th birthday, IIRC, and she was shown to be quite savvy and mature for someone as sheltered as she'd been.

4. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

TANGLED is definately the film that you would want to MAKE the time before. After spending a bit over an hour and a half with Rapunzel it will leave you wanting more!

It's a rare movie where everything came out RIGHT!

Special props to Disney for not going for BIG NAME VOICE talent...stuff like that didn't help coullosal misfires like MEGA MIND and YOGI...instead they gave the voice roles to people who could turn in great performances and you weren't hindered by "knowing" what the voice performer looked like and that allowed the characters to have a life of their own.

5. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I certainly plan to see TANGLED when it comes to DVD, but your enthusiasm has made me wish March-whatever would get here pronto. :lol:

6. MetalPants

MetalPants Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly the same for me.

7. Christopher

Mandy Moore is a pretty well-known singer-actress. Zachary Levi is the star of a popular NBC show (though I don't care for it), and Donna Murphy is a very big name in musical theater. Plus there were supporting roles played by well-known character actors Ron Perlman, Jeffrey Tambor, M. C. Gainey, and Brad Garrett. These are all well-known or at least familiar people, even if they're not A-list actors.

The original choices for Flynn and Mother Gothel were going to be Dan Fogler and Grey DeLisle. I've never heard of Fogler, and while I'm a big fan of DeLisle's voice work (she was Azula in Avatar: The Last Airbender among many other roles), she's unknown to the general public. So the film ended up with more of a "big-name" cast than it was originally going to have. (Rapunzel was going to be Kristin Chenoweth, who's pretty well-known, though whether she's more famous than Ms. Moore probably depends on what demographic you're polling.)

8. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I heartily agree that Tangled was Disney finding itself again. In the vein of The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, they created a heroine with dimension, a villain both frightening and seductive, revived a classic fairy tale with a very modern sensibility, and had a healthy dose of genuine humor. My nephews, one of whom is deep into the "all things even vaguely feminine suck" phase, loved it as much as I and my mom did. Good to know they've still got it somewhere. It's a truly beautiful movie too - the animation is lush and gorgeous. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen.

9. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I need to see it again, i was kinda disapointed with it, it just seemed so generic & cookie cutter. I know there's not much love for the 2d animated films Disney made during the 2000's(Atlantis,Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Lilo & Stitch, etc...) but I actually thought those at least tried to do different things & break the norm.

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but I only find it the tiniest bit creepy. Mandy Moore is an attractive adult, so I'm bearing that in mind.
    Megamind was the awesome. You, sir (or madam), are metaphorically ON CRACK. :p (Yes, yes, I know - opinions are like anuses, or some such....)
    Moore is excellent, but does anyone else think that she might be an out-and-out clone of Sally Field?

11. USS Triumphant

There's not enough love for Atlantis, that I will grant you... but Lilo & Stitch? Really?! That is pretty wildly inconsistent with my experience. (Not sure if you did, but I had kids of the appropriate age in the 2000's, so that might color my view a bit.)

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I am a bit.

I haven't seen the movie, but this:

[​IMG]

is maybe a cute little girl, but definately not a hot babe.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

She is a romantic interest in the film so she is meant to be a young lady not a young girl, it's just one on the very edge of the transition.

14. Christopher

^Like I said, most of the film is set on her 18th birthday. True, her features are a little infantilized with the smooth features and oversized eyes, but that's a pretty standard practice in cartoon caricatures, particularly of women (see Betty Boop or most any anime character). And it's not like there aren't real, adult women with childlike features. My best friend in college was so girlish-looking that she could pass for a teenager well into her 30s.

And like I said, it's rather shallow and sleazy to assume that our admiration for the character design and animation must be purely sexual. If someone waxes poetic about the beauty of the Mona Lisa, it doesn't mean they want to take the painting to bed. It means they admire it on an aesthetic level and appreciate the skill and inspiration of the artist. Rapunzel is an artistic creation, perhaps Glen Keane's greatest masterpiece as a character designer and animator. How is it wrong to admire the beauty of an artist's work?

15. USS Triumphant

My wife (35) got carded not too long ago for standing too close to the hentai section of a gaming/anime shop that we go to sometimes - and didn't have her license with her. She told me to tell the lady behind the counter that she was over 18, and I said, "I'ma tell your mama when we get home!" :lol:

16. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Save the misrepresentations and misleading stuff for TNZ, sport.

17. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

Cookie cutter is NOT a description I would associate with TANGLED.
    Here's a couple of points on why
    FLYNN-the hero is an anti-hero. In the fairytale he was a Prince..here he is a thief with sticky fingers until you guessed it...he meets Rapunzel.

The villain MOTHER GOTHEL is not some completly iredeemdable well "cartoon villian". She has an AMBIGUITY to her actions that sets her apart from say a Cruellla Devil.

The Animals (with great personality) do NOT talk.

Those are just some example. Watch the DVD in March and you may truly reacess your judgement.

P.S. I saw there are some new pics at that site today. One has Rapunzel as a JEDI! That was pretty funny.

18. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Likewise, only save it for another board altogether. No sense fomenting trouble between any of the forums on this board. ;)

19. ancientone51

ancientone51 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

20. Christopher

Don't call me a liar. I was merely trying to propose that there could be more than one way of interpreting the message of a film. My point is that not every story has a specific, intentional "right" or "left" slant, that some stories are just trying to tell entertaining stories and that any agenda one way or another that the individual may read into it reflects their own preconceptions and biases more than the actual intent of the story. I was trying to broaden your mind beyond partisanship, not to make a partisan assertion of my own.