Fringe 5x09 - "Black Blotter" (Commentary, Discussion & Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Dec 13, 2012.

?

Grade 'Black Blotter'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its best

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Very Good

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Good

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Average

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Bad

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Really Bad

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Horrible Beyond Words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Re: Fringe 5x09 - "Black Blotter" (Commentary, Discussion & Spoilers!

Was Tinkerbell played by Walter's wife?
    I couldn't make out her itty-bitty face.

Was there an animation credit? I gather it as NOT by Terry Gilliam, but it was a damn good impression of Terry Gilliam.

2. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

really bad. I think the writers are seeing just how much they can spin their wheels. Basically we wasted an hour just to find the child observer. And what about the changes to Peters brain,,,doesn't seem too bad off after structural changes.

the whole Walter acid trip was just stupid.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I never saw Monty Python but I guess that's the homage? I thought it was The Beatles.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's pretty clear. I tried to sync these. Hit play on both and hopefully it's close.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2z8Aeck-M&start=2[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rutX0I6NxU&start=25[/yt]

6. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was surprised and delighted by that part of the episode. I'm a Monty Python fan and proud of it.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a great episode. Sure it might not have had a ton of storyline progression, but I think that as a look into Walter's character and his current state of mind, it was fantastic.
    I still think the kid is September.

8. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

I thought that this episode was really creative and a lot of fun. I love it when Fringe mixes different types of media (special effects, animation, etc. combined with the normal footage) so the Monty-Python homage was fantastic to see, and I was very amused by the fairy.

What made this episode stand out was not only the creative factor behind it but also the emotional component of it. The scene where the couple are saying goodbye to Michael came across (to me, at least) as an echo of Peter and Olivia saying goodbye to Etta in 5.04.

The very end of the episode with Walter was also a great emotional moment, calling back to one of Fringe's finest episodes.

I was surprised to find out that Sam Weiss had died, and though I thought it was a great twist initially I was slightly disappointed after because I realized that we won't see him anymore :(

Anyways, I rated this episode Excellent, for the creative quality of it and the emotional impact. The story was not as deep as others, but it was told in a unique way, which I really liked.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good one. :techman:

I knew the mention of Sam Weiss would get a reaction from Proc. I guess Sam is now shining his balls up in heaven...

The first part of this episode almost put me to sleep...it was the Sam Weiss part that woke me up. But I really enjoyed the second half, the return of the Observer kid, and all of Walter's tripping.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I loved the Monty Python trip. I wonder if Terry Gilliam is a fan of Fringe.

A random thought came to mind while watching this episode: What if Fringe is just Walter experiencing a giant acid trip?

If nothing else, fans would be more angry than St. Elsewhere fans. :lol:

11. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted Very Good. I'm glad they addressed the death of the lab assistant before series end. Since she exists only in Walter's head, and if the phantom's assertion that she went to the lab that night to burn the journal was true, I wonder if that means Walter actually killed her.

Which brings me to evil Walter. I'm glad they're finally showing us a little of evil Walter. When Walter was reconnected to his missing brain tissue (the first time), John Noble's transformation of the character was down right creepy. However, most flashbacks made Walter (of Christmases Past) much more sympathetic than (obviously evil) Walternate largely because of Peter's illness/ death/ etc. But pre-brain surgery Walter is responsible for a lot what the team fought for several years, and I think that aspect got lost a little bit in last season's finale when Bell became the big bad. I think Walter really is the big bad of the series, and I hope the character has the strength to turn away from maniacal super villainy the way his son just did. However, his so has Olivia, and Walter has... Maybe his son.

As for the trippiness of the episode, I'm always glad when Fringe goes this route. I wish the budget was bigger so they could have done something even more outlandish, but I'll certainly settle for the Python sequence. :lol:

And with only less than a hand full of episodes left, WTF is Donald? September? The Real Sam Weis? A William Bell doll who talks in Sheldon's dreams? Walter's cow in disguise?

12. The Nth Doctor

Speaking of Sam Weiss, I mentioned earlier this season that I hoped he would appear before the show ended. I got my wish, in a way, but not how I wanted! :(

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Did John Noble and Sean Aston have any scenes together in the Lord of the Rings movies? I was wondering if it was another injoke when Walter was muttering "Sam Weis?"

14. The Nth Doctor

No, they never had any scenes together. I think that's merely a coincidence.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Darn!