Movies that OFFEND you

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Konata Izumi, May 24, 2013.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The Wicker Man remake. No, not because it was a bad remake of a classic (which I've never seen), but because of the horrible view of women and the way it strung the audience along until the final scene of Nick Cage being tortured and killed. It's basically a snuff film for misogynists with a victim complex.

Only movie I ever walked out of furious.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Many romantic comedies bask in misogyny and misandry and I find that to be rather offensive. Any film that glorifies racism/homophobia is obviously disgusting, too, but I figure that goes without saying.

3. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^That is one of my favorite comic strips EVER!!! And I don't just mean "Bloom County" - but that strip in particular too! I think of it whenever I see self-rightous people going on about how offended they are...

I swear, some people get off on being offended...and seem to actually go around looking for things to get offended by and complain about!

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

This offends me. ;)

Actually, the only movies that offend me are ones like Dumb and Dumber (actually, most Jim Carrey movies) or White Chicks, Paul Blart, Mall Cop, etc. I like comedy but stupidity disguised as humor is still...stupid.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Offhand I can't think of a movie that's offended me, no.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's not go crazy here. Dumb and Dumber is a comedy masterpiece... Why you gotta throw it on the scrap heap with White Chicks, bro?

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

People say that about the 3 Stooges, too. Doesn't make them funny.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The most racist character was a hero? All the characters were so racists I wouldn't care if any of them were heroes. I don't remember anything of the movie besides it was garbage.

I rented it before it won. I remember how everyone thought it was the weakest of the nominees, and all the horrible comments after it won.

Then my mom rented it and I tried watching it again. Nope. I never finished it, and neither did my mom.

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

The getting offended emotion seems to often be disproportionally strong. Even when it's not strong it's very often ill-fitting. In the service of ignorance and vanity instead of being against something actually harmful happening.

And then you can rarely even be sure if something causes any harm or not, or how much.

And then there's perceived dickishness of a filmmaker because of what happens in the film; should you be offended he's being a dick in the movies he makes, possibly away from real life, as long as the distinction is made clear?

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Real Genius. Since I've been working in the defense industry I've come to view the "anti-military college hijinks" at the end of that movie as treason and sabotage.

And Richard Donner's anti-NRA swipes in the middle of the ultra-violent gun-laden Lethal Weapon films come across as the height of hypocrisy.

11. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well clearly, not everyone thought it was the weakest nominee since it won, and most of the post award "horrible" comments were from butthurt "Brokeback" fans. ;)

But even though Crash suffered a bit from appearing to be more of an "anthology" than a narrative, I thought the movie made far more profound and incisive points about racism than Brokeback did about homophobia. I think that was one of the main reasons Crash won.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

As a gay guy I'm offended by how boring Brokeback Mountain was. :lol:

These were best movie nominees for 2004...

Brokeback Mountain
    Capote
    Good Night, and Good Luck.
    Munich
    Crash

By far the worst out of the group for me. And me is all that matters to me. :-p

13. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    This.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Wild Wild West
    Starsky & Hutch
    Mission: Impossible

In fact ANY modern "reimagining" of an old TV series I liked that completely misses the point of the series, or tries to make a serious (or semi-serious) show into a stupid comedy.

15. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

The only movie I can ever recall being offended by was Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes", with Robert Downey, Jr. Nothing against RDJ; I loved him in "Chaplin", and I love him as Tony Stark. But Sherlock Holmes has been my favorite fictional character since I was thirteen, and that movie just made me want to throw things. I never had high hopes for it, but I tried to keep an open mind, because I didn't want to be one of those hard-core traditionalists. But I guess that's what I am. Apparently the director didn't think that audiences would be interested in a movie built around Holmes's brilliant feats of deductive reasoning, so he went with fistfights and explosions. I know, Holmes is an excellent boxer and swordsman, but he's no action hero. His greatest strength is his mind, but there was barely any of that in Ritchie's film. Just a lot of cheap thrills and pandering to the lowest common denominator. I refuse to even watch the sequel. Even though I always said Stephen Fry would make a great Mycroft.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. :lol: Holmes is just very near and dear to my heart. On the other hand, I am a big fan of BBC's "Sherlock". So far it's done a great job bringing Holmes into the modern age, while preserving the spirit of the original stories.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I came in here to say Sweet Home Alabama because they had an actual jazz band in the movie but chose to play Lynyrd Skynyrd over them.

17. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Epidemic

Read some comments on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. ¤¤¤¤ you. There's a harrowing allegory about careless communication causing great damage, and you can't even read such a childishly blunt couple of allusions. Do you understand life, do you!?

We'd be back in caves soon if some horrific event of mass deception didn't wipe us all out first.

Did I kill my believability if I had any.

18. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The last time I had a visceral reaction of offense to a movie was 2003's Underworld with Kate Beckinsale leading a war between Werewolves and vampires. The movie has a gory amount of blood, unrealistic action scenes, and I walked away thinking "Who green-lit this movie?" It's just so obtuse and violent. I hated it.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Believe it or not, there are plenty of passionate Underworld fans out there. For awhile, I was getting more fan mail for my Underworld novels than for anything else I was writing!

To each their own, I guess.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, big fan of the series. Also, Greg, I notice there was no novelisation this time around, any idea why that was?