Cover & Blurb for Dayton Ward's "From History's Shadow"

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

OK, not sure how I missed hearing about this one, but apparently Dayton Ward has an upcoming book called From History's Shadow. I just saw the cover and blurb here on The Trek Collective.

I have to say, I'm really excited about this one. A Star Trek take on Majestic 12 and the Roswell/UFO "conspiracy"? Sounds like a lot of fun... can't wait!

(I never thought about it before, but I guess based on "Little Green Men", in the Trek world, the conspiracy was real!)

And that retro-looking cover is all kinds of awesome!

The article on The Trek Collective doesn't mention a release date, and neither Memory Alpha or Beta seem to have this one listed. Anyone know when this one comes out?

(The linked article also has the blurb for A Choice of Futures, but Christopher has already posted that one in the thread for that book.)

2. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

That cover is all manner of shiny. :techman:

3. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I really like that cover, and the story sounds like it will be very interesting. As for the release date, I'm pretty sure it will be August, the month after A Choice of Futures.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a neat cover, and an interesting story. It sounds like it might not be in continuity with Forgotten History, though, depending on how immediately it follows "Assignment: Earth."

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I like the cover. It's a lot better than the bland cover for ROTF that's below it.

But besides "Little Green Men", Star Trek has another connection to AREA 51. Jonathan Frakes made a documentary on Roswell back in the late-90's. As far as I know, it has only been released on DVD by Front Row Entertainment with poor audio quality (the audio is very muffled).

As for continuity, I was thinking more of the Greg Cox continuity from the "Assignment:Eternity" and the Eugenics Wars books.

6. Christopher

And was an executive producer and frequent director on the TV series Roswell.

Which are part of the same overall novel continuity as the DTI novels.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The Observers are invading the Star Trek universe now! Where Fringe Division?

Nice cover , btw. :techman::techman:

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The mention of Majestic 12 leads me to wonder if Cryptosporidium-136 will have a cameo in the book. :)

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's supposed to be the August book (meaning it'll be out the last Tuesday of July).

It is a nice cover, and something I saw on the blurb:

My guess is that's supposed to be Mistral from Carbon Creek.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I love that cover.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I look at it, and I can hear a theremin. :)

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:I like that cover. And to have Roberta Lincoln in the novel great to have her character return in another TOS novel. This is Definitely a novel I plan on getting.

13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

This isn't the first time that the author has focused on the subject; Ward wrote "The Aliens Are Coming!" for SNW, which featured John Christopher from "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and Wainwright (now working for Project Sign) from "Little Green Men".

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love that cover, I'd put it up there as one of my all time favroites. The story sounds really cool. I was interested in this before, but now I am very excited. I am curious if it will take the Euegenics Wars books into account. I'm hoping it will since most have Dayton's books have been part of the novelverse continuity.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wish the non-TOS book covers were as creative...

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the only good ones I can remember are the ones for Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn. I'm hoping the covers for Star Trek: The Fall will be good.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The ones for the Destiny trilogy (five years ago) were awesome, but it has been pretty slim-pickings as far as quality artwork goes since then.

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Thanks to you both! I checked MA's Upcoming Productions page, and sure enough, it's listed there. When I had searched on the title, I got no page hits. However, it looks like the apostrophe messes up whatever search algorithm they're using, since I tried searching on "T'Pol" as a test and got no hits either.

And here I was wondering if Seven would travel back in time to work with them... :)

19. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

Based on that synopsis, I wonder if the Vulcan who had been on Earth for over a decade is the same one from the Enterprise episode where T'Pol tells a tale of the first contact with Earth that may or may not be real.

20. Christopher

^The final scene of T'Pol holding T'Mir's purse makes it pretty clear that the story was true. No doubt the Vulcan is Mestral, and that's a cool connection.