Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That's a lofty goal. I definitely want to add some more muscle, but I'm ready to switch my focus a little bit and start working on definition. I still have love handles, and they need to DIE.

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

My actual gains will probably be closer to fifteen pounds. That's about what I did in 2015. But one can try! :techman:

Kor

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I bought powerlifting shoes. I used them yesterday for the first time doing squats, and I have to say, they really helped.

Kor likes this.
  4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, Kor recommended this thread. I have problems with my sciatic nerve. Started with workout. No weight problems. Need to move my ass a bit more....they say sore muscles is a good sign :)

5. Kor

I've been feeling sick the last couple days, but I decided to work out last night anyway. I had to stop halfway through my usual routine. But I think it made me feel slightly better.

Kor

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I ended up doing Legs four days last week, which is certainly not normal. I just kept wanting to squat more!

My last workout was Thursday, and I am just now starting to get sore. I feel like my entire body got hit by a bus.

7. Kilana2

I'm feeling sick, too. Terrible cold. No excercises at the moment.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Breaking plateaus. Been a good long while since I've seen any significant growth.
    [​IMG]

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm training for Obstacle Course Racing so I need light muscles. It's a very hard balance, being light enough for running and hanging obstacles but still strong enough for the heavy carries. I mostly focus on long slow distance training, intervals and rock climbing but I seem to have hit a plateau.

It's hard to find the right strength routine when strength to weight ratio is more important than strength.

10. Kor

I haven't worked out in a week and a half because of my cold. Whenever I try to do something physical, I start coughing uncontrollably. :ack:
    Hopefully I will be well enough in the next couple days to get back to my routine.

Kor

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am trying really hard to embrace Rest Days. I used to hate them, and I would make myself workout way too often and inevitably wear myself out or hurt something. So far it's going well. My joints are happier, and I actually think I'm getting stronger.

12. Kor

I hadn't worked out in a week and a half because of my lingering cold. Last night I did a full-body circuit workout, though I only did three sets of everything instead of my usual four or five. I was coughing miserably the whole time, but when I woke up this morning I felt much better, and my cough has improved significantly.

Also, I plan on doing a mild bulking cycle for a couple months, then do a mostly ketogenic diet for a couple of months to get some definition for this summer.

Kor

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Because I'm a dork.
    [​IMG]

Kor likes this.
  14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This weekend I ran an obstacle event called Polar Bear Challenge. It's an event that lasts eight hours and the goal is to run as many laps of the 10K course as possible. (In February, in Vermont.) This is also an insanely hard course, much harder than a Spartan Race or a Tough Mudder or any of the big brands. Although, it's hard due to the obstacles being harder and more frequent, the terrain is much more flat than in a Spartan.

My goal was to finish three laps. I ended up finishing my second lap at around the 5:10 mark. It's possible, if I kept pushing myself at the same intensity, I could have finished a third. Although at the time my fingers were starting to cramp, I probably would have taken the penalty on at least half of the obstacles, and if my grip gave out at the wrong time I might have gotten injured, so I decided to stop there. It's going to take most of the week to recover.

My next races are a half marathon in 8 weeks and a Spartan Beast three weeks after that.

Here's my training plan.
    Week 1: Recover, light easy runs.
    Week 2-3: Heavy leg work, heavy grip training, easy runs only. My greatest weakness in these races is the heavy carries, and stronger leg muscles will correct that. Also the outside ground will be slippery, cold and mushy, so good time to do the kind of exercises that will stop me from running as hard.
    Weeks 4-6: Heaviest running weeks. At least two out of hill sprints, speed intervals, and tempo runs every week, high volume.
    Weeks 7-8: Tapering weeks. Lighter volume, more race pace, ending in the half marathon.
    Week 9: Recovery, gradual re-increase in volume, introduce more heavy grip work.
    Week 10: Lots of weighted hill work, lots of leg work, one longer tempo run.
    Week 11: Tapering for race.

Also aiming to hit 155 by the end of this period. (Around 162-165 now).

15. Kor

I started using some new supplements including nitric oxide, and I've been able to go a bit heavier and for more reps on various exercises. :mallory:

This week I'm changing up my routine and re-incorporating t-bar rows, which I haven't done in a while.

Kor

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  16. Kilana2

Yesterday I was in the gym, now my muscles ache ..... oh my. I just need some getting used to it.

17. Kor

The t-bar rows are fantastic.

After taking it easy on deadlifts for a couple months, I'm back up to my normal weight range for that lift. I will try to increase my one rep max by ten pounds this month.

Kor

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have deadlifted in a couple months. They're my favorite lift, but after a while they start to take a toll.

I've actually lowered the weight on most of my lifts (I'm lifting about 80% of what I was) and focusing on slower movements and increased reps. I'm trying to bust through some plateaus by trying new things, and it seems to be working.

19. Kor

I got my deadlift up to a new personal record of 335 lbs last night. :cool: Hopefully I can consistently increase by about ten pounds a month like I was doing last year.

Kor

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I spent the majority of February either sick or at work. I tried so hard to rest and get healthy, but it was one of those annoying diseases that just lingered for weeks and weeks. Nothing serious, but I was exhausted and weak the whole time. I only managed to go to the gym twice all month.

But I finally got back this week, and tonight I had a great chest/shoulder workout. Gotta do legs tomorrow.