Retro Review: Cathexis

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TrekToday, Jul 10, 2015.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After Tuvok returns from an away mission with a comatose Chakotay, members of the crew behave very strangely. Plot Summary: While Janeway plays governess on the holodeck, a shuttle carrying an injured Tuvok and a brain-dead Chakotay flees a dark-matter nebula. When Voyager goes to investigate, Tom Paris changes course without permission, though he has […]

More...

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is kind of a fun episode. Unoriginal and dumb, sure but kinda entertaining. The plot is beyond pointless and entirely derivative (life form takes control of crew) but it gives us a chance to learn a little more about certain characters.

Chakotay's spiritual nonsense for example (would you like to see my medicine bundle sweetheart) and Neelix, the paranoid, emotionally volatile reactionary (did you just look at my girlfriend). I enjoyed watching the doctor mock him and suggest he was acting a little out of character.

I didn't mind the Jane Eyre holodeck stuff in this one as it kinda fits with the whole "creepy ghost in the attic" theme of the main plot and I'm sure they were hoping that the holodeck atmosphere would carry over into the episode.

I agree that we don't know enough about Tuvok at this point to understand if he's acting out of character or not but that just adds to the eerie Indiana of it all.

It's pure gibberish but fairly watchable (again, it qualifies as a bottle episode which are my favourites and may explain why I particularly enjoyed it).

3. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A fun nostalgic bottle show. Nonsensical but one I sit through. When we were supposed to be alarmed I giggled it was too silly. I couldn't hold a straight face to, "he's brain dead." either.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Now this is a spooky and exciting story with some unexpected turns. Tuvok as possesed by an alien entity and Chakotay as a "good spirit" who finally saves the ship.
    OK, a bit unrealistic here and there actually but still good and exciting. Some fun things too, mostly Tom's comments about Dr. Brown and his statement when Janeway wants The Doc tho have the security codes: "I feel better already".

I'll give it 4 points out of 5