Big Brother 16: Gentlemen, commence your appallingness!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JirinPanthosa, Jun 19, 2014.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

So I'm going to stop deluding myself that I'm not going to watch it, because since it's the only active TV contest drama going on in the summer I'm going to follow it no matter how horrible the people or stupid the twists are.

From the website:

It was announced today by Host Julie Chen on “The Talk” that BIG BROTHER will debut its most “twisted” season ever during its special two night premiere on Wednesday, June 25 (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT) and Thursday, June 26 (9:01 – 10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. As previously announced, BIG BROTHER will air in HD for the first time this season.

During the premiere, Host Julie Chen will announce details of two new twists and the new competition for the season.

In the first twist, two Houseguests will win the coveted role of “Head of Household” (HOH) each week, which still comes with special privileges, including a separate suite inside the house. Each HOH will have the responsibility of nominating two fellow Houseguests for eviction every week. However, for the first time on the series, earning HOH will not guarantee one’s safety in the game for the week.

With the second twist, fans will have a unique opportunity to significantly influence the game from home with a new interactive element called “Team America.”

In addition, this season of BIG BROTHER will introduce an entirely new high-stakes competition, “Battle of the Block,” which will dramatically shift the power in the house each week.

“When the Houseguests learn about the new twists, they will need to throw out any pre-existing strategy if they want to survive in the game,” said Allison Grodner, Executive Producer of BIG BROTHER. “The new Battle of the Block competition will shake up the power in the house like never before. A Houseguest can go from zero to hero, or vice versa, every week!"

This season, the BIG BROTHER Houseguests will live in a whimsical urban tree house themed dwelling. The living room features a 20 foot tall wood tree sculpture, and wood panels that give the illusion of peering out into the world from inside the tree. The theme continues with the dining room’s branch-bound chairs and the kitchen’s butcher block island made of thick slabs of eucalyptus trees. Nestled above the living room is an actual tree house shack where the Houseguests can play chess. The Head of Household suite includes a giant bird’s nest for the bed and a wall lined with nearly 1,000 bird houses. Also, the bedrooms are themed based on the classical elements earth, wind and fire, with the bathroom as water.

Two HoH: I like it.
    Team America: I hate it. Let this be a game not a popularity contest. The two worst game mechanics ever used in BB: America's Player and the Coup de Tat. There's nothing stupider than when the audience gets to say "Sorry last week erased we get to push the guy we like through."
    Battle of the Block: Interesting, so long as the consequences of said competition are openly known by all participants so it's something that can be strategically accounted for.
    House: Pretty decent looking though the treehouse room is tacky. Not a bad choice for a theme.

Of course no matter what stupid twists they have the quality of the season will be entirely determined by whether there are less appalling people than usual.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just thinking about starting the thread today, I'm excited! I've gone ahead and purchased the live feeds. I figure that it could not possibly be worse than last year, we can only go up. I have a good feeling about this year.

As for the twists, I'm trying to reserve judgment until we get some more details. It does seem like they are possibly setting it up to start with two teams against each other (with each having an HOH that nominates two from the other team). Perhaps relatives on opposing teams, as they have done in Survivor? A blood vs. water type theme has been the big rumor for a while now. Or, it could be a team of returning players vs. new players.

There's really a lot of different ways it could go, so I'll just be patient until tomorrow, when the cast is revealed.

When I first saw the house pictures I thought it was kind of ugly, but the more I look at it the more I like it. The different elements make sense. I especially like the earth room, which looks like the inside of a cave. The only room I really don't like is the living room, the colors are just hideous.

A link to the house photos if anyone is interested: http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_brother/photos/1001735/big-brother-16-house-photos/54460/

I'm looking forward to my usual summer obsession!

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I am getting tired of these casts with models and the token old person. Once again, half of them look like they are just going into the house to get hammered and have a good time.

America's vote will be controlled by Frankie on the basis of his already huge online following. If we are going to have any say in the process, take us back to Season 1 and let us do all the voting.

4. JirinPanthosa

Young hot people on Big Brother is assumed, that doesn't necessarily mean they are individuals lacking substance. Although, if they do turn out to have substance, they will probably edit it to look like they don't. ;) I'm optimistic so far.

In Big Brother, it's not a horrible season until people start treating each other like shit outside of the game. Fighting and yelling is fine, that's expected. Actual hatred is what makes the show unenjoyable.

5. Spot's Meow

Since there are going to be two HOHs, many are speculating that there will be two teams in the house, and that this "America's Team" will be one of them. That's possibly what the voting up on the CBS website now is for; the top 8 will become our team and possibly do our bidding.

Part of me is okay with that, because it's at least better than only one person getting chosen to be America's Player or something.

But really the details of the "twist" are still confusing and we just have to wait to find out next week!

6. JirinPanthosa

The two teams thing seems likely, but if they really made it so half the entire house are forced to do what 'America' says, it'd make me stop watching. Like Danny said, if you're going to go down that road make it like season 1 again instead of holding up the pretense that it's a 'game'.

It's like, who would watch the Superbowl if they just got to vote who won? Fixed games are boring.

If they do something like, America votes which team gets a certain advantage, that I'd grumble about but tolerate.

7. Danny99

So there's already videos out there of Frankie performing in drag.

I'm glad that Big Brother continues it's tradition of finding the most flamboyant (currently unconfirmed) gay person they can find to continue the stereotype.:rolleyes:

8. JirinPanthosa

Ugh, it really is the "Team America" thing. Hopefully it's something not too invasive, cause if they do anything to make it less of a game and more "Popular vote says who wins" I won't be able to watch.

So Devin says he's a student of the show and then immediately does all the things that historically get you voted out immediately. Nice!

Nicole is like a comedian's impression of Zooey Deschanel.

Edit: Only 3 players? Ok, that's not the worst thing in the world. So long as the players have the right to say 'No' to America's commands. Maybe they get extra money for following them but still get to say no if they prefer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was just about to post the same thing.

They have to get the most over-the-top, Jack on Will and Grace, flamboyant gay man they can find who *must* fit every fear and stereotype people have about gays.

:rolleyes:

Because *ALL* gay men act like this loon.

10. Danny99

I still dislike Frankie, but where did they find that Paola? God, I know she is friends with GinaMarie, but at least GM was somewhat entertaining. Paola's got eyes for Cody and she's got the biggest ego in the freakin' universe. I don't care to learn anymore.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cast, while still falling into stereotypes, had some diversity. Finding the muscle bound Devin, who's a single father and Nicole, the cute blonde who's slightly odd (my early favorite) is a definite change over the "let's get people who are nice to look at, but mentally vacant" standard.

11. JirinPanthosa

I don't know, I agree CBS goes out of their way to cast stereotypes and not just for gay people, but I can't hold that personally against Frankie for being himself in a way that coincides with a stereotype.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of glad Showtime isn't doing the Big Brother After Dark thing anymore. I really shouldn't devote any time to this show and that would inevitably suck me in. I know it's on the TV Guide channel but it's not the same.

13. Spot's Meow

So far I'm liking the first 8 houseguests, with the exception of Paola. I can't believe how fast everyone rushed to make alliances. As for the all-girl alliance, it appeared that three of them were interested, and the other one (Nicole) just sort of went along. She definitely seems to be the more cautious type that will need to feel people out before she makes any sort of agreements.

Team America...it is yet to be seen what kinds of tasks they will have. It could be anything from controlling their votes/nominations, to having them perform pranks on other HGs. I'm sure that the producers will change this up if it means the interesting people are in trouble. We'll see what happens.

14. JirinPanthosa

If it's just making them play pranks I'm good with that, but Julie specifically said "Change the course of the game."

If it's something like "You get this extra money if you do what the audience says", fine, I'll tolerate that. If they're actually forced to nominate or vote for who the audience wants, that sucks, and if I wound up on Team America and found out I couldn't control my own game I'd be pissed.

Devin is acting like he's never seen season 4. You know, 'The Ex Factor' where 8 people came in, 5 people came in later, and the 8 tried to make an alliance. We all saw how that worked out. Inevitably some people in the first 8 will make better friends with the other 8 than among each other. This alliance will never, ever last, and when it crumbles Devin will probably be the first victim.

I think I know what 'Battle of the block' will be. A competition between the two HoH's to see whose nominations stay. Possibly it will work kind of like the veto, with the two HoHs and the four nominees fighting. If this is correct, I am in favor of it.

15. Danny99

I don't know if it's just editing, but Devin is going to parannoy out of the house.

16. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow. Devin is a bit of a loon.

17. JirinPanthosa

Devin might be setting a record for Worst Big Brother Player Of All Time. Devin "Hmm, I have a secret alliance filled with strong, smart players. I know! I'll tell everybody about it without consulting my team. Because Big Brother works like Survivor, the minority NEEEVER has power. That's why bloating the alliance as big as possible is so much more important than secrecy and trust."

You know, every time they promote Frankie he acts out, but when he doesn't feel the spotlight square on his face he doesn't seem like that at all. I think all the prancing is just his way of reacting to the feeling that millions of people are staring at him, when he's relaxed and not feeling it he just seems like a regular guy.

Caleb also seemed like he was going to be an obnoxious jackass through the season but he's acting like a reasonable person with a good head on his shoulders.

So far there's nobody I hate, but I haven't been watching the live feeds. Is there anybody who's racist, homophobic, or a general jackass that I'm not aware of at the moment?

18. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to tonight's veto.

19. JirinPanthosa

As much as I liked Joey, I am so happy that America's Team is getting immediately messed up.

20. Danny99

Well she's one of the dumbest players in the history of the show. Let's start another eight person alliance and when people are resistant, let's browbeat them. This is the female version of Brian from Season 10.